Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: 2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only Reply with quote

It's never to early to start talking draft, with the guys we will probably lose this off-season to free agency, we need a solid draft. Getting a 3rd and 5th/6th in comp picks will help that alot. I'm just glad they don't base comp picks on production cause then Mario would be screwing us.

Needs(In no specific order)
RB- I could see us using a 3rd or 4th on a RB so to prepare for the departure of Tate, whenever that happens. I know this system in Denver just plugged in UDFA's and lower round talent, but look at what you get when you draft a guy with solid talent and put him in the system, you get Tate.

WR- I'm up in then air on this one, I only think we go WR if its a BPA pick. I believe will see what we have in Posey, Jean and Martin.

TE- I think we use a late round pick on a TE

OL- The jury is still very out on Newton but I think we use a decently high pick on a RT. Also I think we may go after another C/G cause Smith isn't what you'd call young.

DL- DE is fine especially since signing Jamison and having Crick and Watt, but I highly doubt we bring back Cody especially at 3 mil for a position that plays around 20 snaps a game.

OLB - Depending on Connor this could be another need for the 3rd straight draft.

MLB - I believe this is one of our biggest needs so I think we get a guy in the middle rounds especially is Sharpton can recover from his injury.

CB - I think we grab a guy and maybe even in the 1st round like a Jonathon Banks from Miss St. We need talent at this position cause behind JJoe and to a certain extent KJax we seem to not have much and a former 2nd round pick in Harris can't even sniff the field that doesn't bode well.

S- This is a great draft for safeties and I think we could grab one early with the almost certain departure of Glover in free agency which leave us with Manning, Demps, Keo and Pleasent. And with us using 3 safeties regularly we need another good one, because I do not want Keo on the field other than on ST.
[/b]

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
38 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like talking draft, it gives you hope for the future. I'll address the same order you did.

RB, I don't see this as a need. If Rick Smith is smart he trades Tate after this season, but I like Forsett and think that we might take a RB late or as an UDFA. I'd like a 1st for Tate from a bad NFC team, St. Louis maybe, but that's doubtful so maybe a 2nd and 4th which would really help our draft alot.

WR, regardless of Posey, Martin, and Jean I still see this as a need but only as a 3rd - 4th round need unless someone great just falls into our lap. We've got bigger issues than WR.

TE, I used to think this was a bigger need because we might make OD a salary cap cut but we still owe him to much money, so he stays and MAYBE we take a late round TE. 2013 is a very poor year for TE's.

OL, specifically RG and RT. I think Jones is playing well at RG but I like him better at C and think that Brooks is the future of the RG position when Caldwell leaves at the end of the season. I think RT is a much bigger priority as I think Newton/Harris is a patchwork for the position and a full time RT needs to solidify it. 2nd round need. I'd also look for another OG in the 3rd - 5th to prep for a year and then replace W. Smith in 2014.

DL, Antonio Smith could be a salary cap cut but we owe him alot of money as well so probably not. I think Cody is gone in FA and finding a replacement is our highest priority since Mitchell doesn't look to be a full time starter but works well in rotation. 1st round Kawaan Short-DT or Jesse Williams-DT, maybe Sylvester Williams-DT in the 2nd round. A better DT/NT would lessen our need at ILB.

OLB, I don't think it's a need Barwin will be back.

ILB, with a better presence at DT/NT it lessens the need for a better ILB next to Cushing. James sucks but I like Dobbins. Sharpton should be given an injury settlement and cut. I see this as a mid round 4th or 5th need.

CB, I agree here if Banks falls to us then take him and be happy but that's doubtful, I don't think he makes it past 15. This will be a pick of opportunity if someone falls into our lap but don't reach for it. It's going to be a good CB class and I think someone decent is available in the 3rd.

S, I agree good year for S but not great. I think Quin is re-signed but if not I'm not averse to giving Demps a shot at the starting spot. I look for a mid to late round S pick for depth and hopefully move Keo off the roster.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think now we go pretty much BPA and fill in the holes with bargain free agents, like most of the good teams do. We don't have the massive, glaring holes that once demanded that we draft a DL or CB.

Sig by matthouston91
amazingandre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our biggest needs in no order at this point would be

ilb
nt
wr
rg
rt
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
our biggest needs in no order at this point would be

ilb
nt
wr
rg
rt

Those are mines too except I would put WR lower on the list. Kubiak likes what he sees from Jean, Martin and Posey (even though Posey hasnt played a game yet.) I dont think we will address WR that early.

ILB- Bradie James is horrible, and as much as I like Dobbins I don't think he can play every down at ILB. Mainly a special teams guy, and there is no telling how Sharpton will play when he comes back from injury.

NT- We still need that "big" nose tackle that can take up 2 blockers. Our run defense up the middle is a concern.

RT- Depends on how Newton/Harris finish the season. Newton has been undisciplined so far this season.

RG- I like Ben Jones as a center, so we could use depth at RG.

I would also like for us to explore safety too. Not early in the draft unless Quin isn't resigned, but for depth. Keo still has no business being on the team.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
I think now we go pretty much BPA and fill in the holes with bargain free agents, like most of the good teams do. We don't have the massive, glaring holes that once demanded that we draft a DL or CB.

My main concern is the cap. Will we have the cap room to sign guys to fill the holes? We still have to resign Quin and Barwin.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

My main concern is the cap. Will we have the cap room to sign guys to fill the holes? We still have to resign Quin and Barwin.

Bargain free agents. And I could see us re-signing Quin because I don't think it will cost us much.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

Bargain free agents. And I could see us re-signing Quin because I don't think it will cost us much.

What we're going to have to worry about is Dre's contract. Weve restructured it so much his cap numbers coming up are pretty big. After this years bargin of 5 mil that he actually re-structured in training camp I believe it jumps to 10 mil for 2 years then 14 mil amd then 13 mil.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
38 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Grasspike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

Exactly. By bargain free agents, I mean the guys like Bradie James and Tim Dobbins, who won't kill you but won't stand out. Teams like New England and the Colts of the Manning era always seemed to find enough of these guys that they never had glaring holes that cost them games.

Sig by matthouston91
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1a. Inside Linebacker
1b. Nose Tackle
2. Right Tackle
3. ... Wide Receiver?
4. ... I don't know. Not a whole lot of players I think are in need of immediate replacement like the three positions I mentioned above.
CAS22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
1a. Inside Linebacker
1b. Nose Tackle
2. Right Tackle
3. ... Wide Receiver?
4. ... I don't know. Not a whole lot of players I think are in need of immediate replacement like the three positions I mentioned above.

Nickel CB and Safety that comes in when we are in nickel. McCain is trash and I like Demps but I'd like to get a player who can be a staple at this position for a long time.

Hopefully Brandon Harris steps up and becomes the nickel CB because his skills fit the position perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR - AJ & Walter will be turning 32. Posey is a project who tops out at Jacoby Jones level IMO. Martin is a slot receiver/returner. Jean is low rent and not durable. Time to get our future #1 who will help extend AJs career in the meantime. Given how low we will likely be picking, I'm not averse to packaging picks or trading Tate to move up for an impact player. Hell, trading Tate to the Jets now for what may become a top 10 pick may not be crazy.

RT - Butler is a goner, Newton is over his head. Harris is a patchwork solution at best. Draft priority depends upon Newton's development rest of way, but we need a depth pick at the very least. Wish we would have grabbed Bobbie Massie (already starting at RT in Arizona) ahead of B. Brooks or B. Jones.

CB - McCain & Ball should not be resigned and Carmichael cut. If Harris can't get on the field this year its time to target another nickle as the Colts, Jags, and Titans aren't going to stink forever. We remain screwed if Joseph goes down.

TE - OD's contract is a problem and Garrett Graham looks ready to take over. Ideally would get a dual purpose guy who likely begins as a blocking TE like Dreessen then is brought along in the passing game. Casey may get bigger FA offers and opportunities elsewhere and don't forget that he'll be 29. We're going to regret grabbing Posey over Dwayne Allen who is the perfect model.

DT - Cody has served his purpose but it's time to move on as he isn't good enough to keep into his 30's and Earl Mitchell has done nothing to distinguish himself. People can keep clamoring for the 350 lber, but I'm less concerned with size than if the guy is any good.

S - I disagree with sentiment here that Quin is a goner as non-playmaking safeties don't command much on the open market and I think we can get him back. However, for the 2nd year in a row we are signing a street free agent to play #3 S which on this defense is a borderline starting position. Daniel Manning will be 31 next year and has a cap figure that could become a target in future years.

ILB - Bradie James was a stopgap and I'm not confident Sharpton will ever return. Dobbins is fine, but I'd rather see a developmental guy with upside than this recurring 30 year old special teamer role Marciano gets every year (Kevin Bentley, Chaun Thompson).

OLB - obviously Barwin's status is a big factor on relative priority, but I'm beyond ready for the end of the Jesse Nading era regardless and would like to see a late round pick regardless.

P - get ready for this one again. Donnie Jones is fine, but I'm done with old Punters and spending close to $1 million when we are up against the cap is such a waste. The Jags may have been nuts with Anger in the 3rd but our 3rd rounder has barely seen the field and theirs leads the NFL with a 52 yard average. Grab one with a 5th round+ comp pick and scratch it off the list for 7 years.

QB - I would love to try to move TJ Yates to a QB desperate team like KC or Oakland (Palmer is ok, but not with that salary cap figure). Jets will go flashy again and I'm betting Cowboys finally make a bold move but Yates isn't it. Not totally likely, but if you could turn a 5th rounder into a 2nd you do it and let Kubiak build the next backup with Keenum or another a late round pick (NF1?).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try to take a different approach to it:

QB - Matt Schaub has his extension, and is playing as a top 5 QB this year. TJ Yates is one of the more accomplished backups in the NFL, with a playoff win under his belt. Case Keenum is a project QB that Kubiak loves, and I can't see how he'd be willing to give up on him so quickly.

Overall: Unless Matt Barkley could be had in the 6th round, I highly doubt that the Texans even sniff at a QB. Maybe another UDFA to keep as a camp body at most.

RB - Arian Foster is fine as is, Justin Forsett is also the bees' knees...but you know that Ben Tate's days as a Texan are numbered. He's good enough to start for many teams, has low miles for a 3rd year player, has great production when he does get his chance. As others have said, the value on Tate is as high as it's gonna get, and with a relatively soft RB class, I can see Tate's value getting as high as it can while he's under contract.

Overall: Much like QB, unless there is a dynamic player who drops, I can't see the Texans invest a draft pick in someone. We seemingly take 1-2 guys as a UDFA every year and "promote" a UDFA to the roster, so look for Davin Meggett to be on the team this time next season, and two UDFAs brought in.

WR - Now we get interesting. Both starters are on the wrong side of 30, and the decline in each player has been seen at various points this season. Lestar Jean does have some upside, but you have to hedge your bets. DeVier Posey is probably a year away, and he very well might not get there. Keshawn Martin could work his way into the lineup, but at most - outside of KW and AJ, we have a bunch of 2/3 tweeners, no real #1.

Overall: 1st round/2nd round pickup, right here. Depending on how the college season progresses, Va Tech WR Marcus Davis or Baylor WR Terrance Williams have the look and feel of a #1 option. If the Texans aquire some assets for Tate, I can see a selection of Tenn WR Justin Hunter in the top 15. Davis is an interesting prospect; A former QB turned WR, he's raw...but with reported 4.45 speed to go along with his 6' 4" 232 frame, he's a very sexy prospect. Question is, is this Stephen Hill v 2.0? All physical with no game actions that show a 1st round WR? Dunno, will have to tune in to really get a feel for the guy.

TE - Owen Daniels is right now living the good life as the Texans most productive target in the passing game. Garrett Graham has shown some flashes of brilliance, and should get more looks as the offense starts to show its hand to AJ, Daniels and Foster. James Casey can play the role in a pinch. Phillip Supernaw has a cool name.

Overall: This IS Gary Kubiak we're talking about. 5th round, a TE will be selected.

T - LT is all but locked up, but RT is a sieve. Is Derek Newton's celing a very good swing T, or does he have what it takes to be an every down, every game starter? As much as I'd like to make something out of nothing, I simply don't see him as a guy who can start. He'll get game time experience, he will be a seasoned player, but...his best is as a very competent backup, much like Rashard Butler was for so many years.

Overall: 1st/2nd round selection. It used to be unheard of to select a RT at this stage in the draft, but with a rookie cap in place, it isn't as if you'll be spending Winston money on the guy. Rick Wagner from Wisconsin seems to scream "Gary Kubiak" selection - Wisconsin player, former TE, quick feet and experience at both sides of the line. If we go RT in the first, willing to bet the house on Wagner being the guy.

G - Seems like we're in a better place at G, but it's still a concern. Ben Jones looks to be the future at RG, Brandon Brooks might top out as a swing G...but I can see a scenario in which Wade Smith might be allowed to play out his contract and sent away. He's a fine player at LG, but doesn't exactly seem like a "20" player in Rick Smith's model. Maybe a high valued "70" player, but not someone you'd resign to a pricey deal. Ergo, I can see someone brought in to push Brooks as well as groom to play LG.

Overall: 4th round at best. G has always been a position in which you can find some solid talent later on, and this should be no exception. No idea on who is worth what in this stage of the game, so no names for now.

C - Hmm. Backup C is now starting RG. Methinks finding depth behind Chris Myers might pop up on the radar.

Overall: 5th/6th rounder. Much like G, C tend to fall...and it wouldn't be a stretch to find a very good player in this stage.

I'll get to D later.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG and RT should be our focal points unless Kubiak wants Ben Jones starting there, but that means we have no backup center again.

Our main offseason addition should be Glover Quinn. Loosing him would be huge and you could easily move safety in front of the priorties list of RT and RG.

I'm not going to say ILB is a major need we need because I still beleive Sharpton is the answer there.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'll get to D later.

...and, here we go:

DE - JJ Watt is right now putting 5-Tech players back on the map with his current level of play, Antonio Smith is still churning out some good performances and Jared Crick is being brought along as a steady project with an outside hope to replace Smith at a later point. Some depth would be nice, and with our usual stance on stockpiling talent to cultivate in house, I could see someone taken here.

Overall - 3rd round. We have an extra pick in that round due to Mario Williams, and I can see us looking for one of those overachievers at the position - not some freak of nature like Watt, but someone who has that type of motor. A high energy guy to eventually work into the rotation. I'll put this at the end - do not be shocked if there is a 5-Tech DE who falls to us in the 1st and we pull the trigger on 'em. SMU's Margus Hunt is a name that is so interesting - former Olympian in track and field for Romania, picked up football once his funding stopped from Romania, a 6' 8", 280 lb FREAK of nature who has reportedly timed in at 4.6 in the 40, along with a reported 25 reps - AT 315 LBS. I doubt he makes it out of the top 20 after his Combine showing, but if he were to slip somewhere in the late 20-30 range, the Texans will select him. He's very raw (much like Watt and Mercilius were) with a non-stop motor, high work ethic, and athletic skills that you simply can't teach.

NT - I simply have no clue as to what we want out of our NTs. We hear the coaches talk up Earl Mitchell and Shaun Cody, always getting praise for their play for this team...but I haven't seen why these guys get the shower of praise from the coaching. On top of that, we have taken the big 'uns at the NT, as the UDFA signing of Loni Fangupo points to. Maybe I need to stop drinking when watching, I don't know. However, I can't see both of these guys manning the spot alone. Maybe it's Fangupo who comes into the rotation. Maybe it's a draftee. I dunno.

Overall: I...really don't know. Could be 1st. Could be 7th. Could be a UDFA. Something's gotta happen though...right?

ILB - Welp, we got Cush. We got Dobbins, too. James isn't that great, and Sharpton has the look and feel of a career IR guy. There has to be something to take out of this, but what? How much do you pay for a two down LB?

Overall: 5th round or later. Again, how high do you spend on a two down ILB? Unless there is some fantastic value in the 2-4th round, you can't really justify spending that high of a pick on someone who only plays roughly 50% of the snaps for the team. No names stand out, but - much like how Brian Cushing was a fantastic OLB moved inside in a 3-4 look - Brandon Jenkins looks like he could be cut from the same cloth. Then again, not too sure he makes it to the 5th. Or the 4th. Maybe the 3rd.

OLB - You're gonna have to wait until the dust settles in regards to Connor Barwin before making a claim either way. Even if the team lets Barwin go (could go 50/50, depending on the market and his asking price) the team has to feel somewhat confident in Brooks Reed, Whitney Mercilius and Bryan Brahman...and maybe roll the die on an undersized DE in the 3rd round to fill the role of the #4 OLB.

Overall: Again, depends on Barwin. If he stays, I doubt we even spend the time to scout the big name DE/OLB tweeners, save for some who might slip out of the draft entirely. If Barwin goes, we could see what plays out in the 3rd round or 4th round, as we should get some compensation for Mike Breisel.

CB - Y'know...despite the play of our top two CBs, this one can be a need. Neither Brandon Harris or Roc Carmichael have done anything worthy of note, Brice McCain might be gone this time next year (even if he's willing to take lesser of a deal, as his play has been pretty bad this year). Nobody wants to see Alan Ball anymore, so either finding depth or impact role players will be a need. Unless McCain or Harris really find their groove, this could be a high priority.

Overall: 2nd/4th round. Depending on how the chips fall with CBs (my cursory look of 'em is telling me it could be draft deep with good Nickel/Dime CBs) this could become a quick grab and go. If Desmond Trufant slips into the late 2nd, we could bring him in and let him compete with Harris for the role (assuming that Harris doesn't win the role sometime this season, that is). Here's a name that might get me slapped: former LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu. Much like how we took a flyer on DeVier Posey (as bad as that is turning out to be, but that has little to do with the off-the-field issues) Mathieu has the same "redemption" feel to him, as he's been more than pro-active in correcting his issues. His size is a major concern, he's never going to be a starting CB in this league - but you cannot deny the impact the Honey Badger had for LSU last season (he returns kicks and punts as well, so away with Trindon). If he can be had in the 4th, we should entertain it (following an in-depth discussion with John Lucas in regards to his rehab efforts).

FS/SS - Danieal Manning is a playmaker, Glover Quin is quite underrated and is working himself into a "need to sign him for the long haul" position with the team...but given how we like to use a lot of 3 S rotations, it would be better served to find folks better than Shiloh Keo, Troy Nolan, Eddie Plesant and Quentin Demps. Granted, it seems as if Plesant is being groomed to get into one of these spots, but who knows?

Overall: 6th round. I don't know much about this class, and I don't know of any CB/S tweeners to be had, so can't really throw a name in there and feel comfy.

K/P - We got our K last year, so follow up with a P, no?

Overall: 6th round or lower. Don't ask me who does what amongst the draft eligible Ps. I had no idea who that Anger kid was, and he was a damn 3rd rounder.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 1 of 63

Jump to: