Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 9070
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
Ignoring all of Teo's issues for a little bit, to me ILB is just not a 1st round worthy position unless that player is just on a truly elite level. Patrick Willis is an example of a 1st round ILB that's worthy of a 1st round pick. I also don't see OG or Safety as 1st round worthy unless that person is just truly on an ELITE level. To me Teo is not elite and not worthy of a 1st round pick. Your 1st round pick should be an impact player or at least be at a position capable of making an impact. I also think we've got bigger holes to fill at NT and WR.


I guess I'm a bit confused with this - when Te'o was not known for his issues, there were many who considered him a top 10 talent, just a special LB who was destined to be a top 10 selection come draft time. Guy had sideline range, had solid awareness in coverage (actual coverage skills weren't special, but was aware enough to close gaps and get a hand on the ball in coverage) and was able to read how an OL was developing and meet a ball carrier in the hole. Prior to the whole Lennay Kekuha saga, the guy was touted as the best ILB in the draft, a "safe bet/can't miss" type pick that was equal parts character and on field capability.

Then, the news hits and the guy starts to tumble like a stone.

FTR - If Te'o is there at 27 and I had a say in the pick, I strongly consider him. Would I take him? Would depend on what WRs are available in the spot, but he'd make it a tough decision, that much is for sure.


i would take him at 27 100 out of 100 times. WR is a big need but not the most pressing need because our offense does not place a high priority on the #2 WR. we look Andre, Owen Daniels, Foster and Casey all before throwing to a #2 WR. Martin and Jean both have loads of potential too. Im not saying we shouldnt get an upgrade, but i would grab one at #27, not when beating the Pats is our main concern, and having ILBs that can cover is a must
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Marco79


Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 11559
Location: Bloomington, IN
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what killed Teo wasnt the fake girlfriend drama, but his atrocious play against Alabama. He got absolutely embarrassed and his flaws were shown. His best game of his year also came against someone who is trying to play WR in the NFL. I would gladly watch us pass him over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5521
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
I think what killed Teo wasnt the fake girlfriend drama, but his atrocious play against Alabama. He got absolutely embarrassed and his flaws were shown. His best game of his year also came against someone who is trying to play WR in the NFL. I would gladly watch us pass him over.


I don't care who is there, there is no possible justification I can imagine for taking an ILB in the 1st. We essentially get a #1 pick back with Cushing returning from injury and we just went through this exercise of the marginal value of the #2 ILB in Wade's 3-4 that has the ILB drawing about as many snaps as the #3 Safety does.

Team Captain DeMeco Ryans played 58% of our snaps in 2011. If somebody wanted to spend some time reconciling 2012 accounting for post week 5 rotation of James + various starters including Ruud, Dobbins, Sharpton they could, but looking at James in the first 4 weeks shows 56%, 63%, 33%, 45% of snaps for an average of 49% of snaps while Cushing is out there 90%+. If you combine the #3 safeties, Demps, Nolan, and Keo they played 48% of snaps. Since it always comes up, our traditional NT's Mitchell and Cody played 61% of snaps.

Now I wholeheartedly agree that we should not again field a team at risk of having Tim Dobbins on the field for 37% of snaps, Sharpton 26%, Ruud 9% but again with Cushing returning for a full load of snaps would eliminate most of those, but I have no problem bringing James back and simply finding a better/healthier option than Sharpton to rotate in and hopefully take over the job sooner rather than later. This is a 4th-6th round issue, not a 1st round issue unless you think Cushing won't recover, which is not justified in this era of ACL recovery.

BTW - Kevin Walter played 73% of offensive snaps, and Martin, Jean, Posey played 53% (AJ played 87%). The competition for most number of snaps at a position where we are VASTLY inferior to the teams we play is not even close. The idea that #2 WR isn't used in our system is a chicken-egg fallacy as during the Kubiak Super Bowl years, Rod Smith - Ed McAffery shared 1a/1b billing with a 1,200 / 1,000 split and Shannon Sharpe was kicking in 1,000 yard seasons as well so the OD argument doesn't work either (AND Terrell Davis was busy rushing for 2,000+ yards). Even back in that era, having a wide disparity between #1 and #2 WR didn't work and in a shutdown corner and slot receiver era going into season where AJ will be turning 32 it is insanity. There is NO question where our 2013 roster focus needs to be in my eyes, especially with any of the usual pie eyed expectations of some small sample size late season contributor like Posey off the table due to injury that we would wisely view as a career ender (like we should have done with Sharpton) and consider anything we get from him next year as gravy.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 9070
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we did draft a 3rd OLB in the 1st round last year
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4588
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
we did draft a 3rd OLB in the 1st round last year


Ya, but we had just lost Mario and we needed insurance for Barwin in case he had a monster year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38129
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
I think what killed Teo wasnt the fake girlfriend drama, but his atrocious play against Alabama. He got absolutely embarrassed and his flaws were shown. His best game of his year also came against someone who is trying to play WR in the NFL. I would gladly watch us pass him over.


I don't care who is there, there is no possible justification I can imagine for taking an ILB in the 1st. We essentially get a #1 pick back with Cushing returning from injury and we just went through this exercise of the marginal value of the #2 ILB in Wade's 3-4 that has the ILB drawing about as many snaps as the #3 Safety does.

Team Captain DeMeco Ryans played 58% of our snaps in 2011. If somebody wanted to spend some time reconciling 2012 accounting for post week 5 rotation of James + various starters including Ruud, Dobbins, Sharpton they could, but looking at James in the first 4 weeks shows 56%, 63%, 33%, 45% of snaps for an average of 49% of snaps while Cushing is out there 90%+. If you combine the #3 safeties, Demps, Nolan, and Keo they played 48% of snaps. Since it always comes up, our traditional NT's Mitchell and Cody played 61% of snaps.


I guess my question is like so: Do we know if this is a staple of Wade Phillips' brand of a 3-4 defense, or do we issue the splits like so because our ILBs past Cushing are that bad? The stat to point at is Ryans in 2011 with 58% of snaps (I thought the number was in the mid 40s, but I digress) but was that a function of Wade's D...or was it due to Ryans simply not fitting and Wade running with a front seven format that would work in his favor?

That's why I'm not COMPLETELY off the ILB in the 1st wagon. (Would still prefer a WR, in case you were wondering...but not TOTALLY abandoning ship here). Yes, the percentages over the past two seasons point to it being a non-issue, but do we know if that is because of a lack of personnel (further skewed due to the loss of Sharpton in 2011 and the loss of Cushing in 2012), or is it because that's how this D operates? If Wade were to get a stud ILB to place along Cushing - whether it be a Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree or Te'o - would we see those percentages rise?

Just thinking out loud here.
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
LORK 88


Moderator
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 6085
Location: Endor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I think we can get away with either signing a free agent or drafting someone in the middle rounds as Apollo suggested. Nico Johnson out of Alabama makes the most sense to me around the 4th. Brad Jones is another name I've seen tossed around that I wouldn't mind as well. I don't think we need another stud next to Cushing, just someone to take on blocks and help out on running downs.
_________________

TEXANS NATION LONGTIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jch1911


Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 3620
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LORK 88 wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think we can get away with either signing a free agent or drafting someone in the middle rounds as Apollo suggested. Nico Johnson out of Alabama makes the most sense to me around the 4th. Brad Jones is another name I've seen tossed around that I wouldn't mind as well. I don't think we need another stud next to Cushing, just someone to take on blocks and help out on running downs.


I think Brad Jones could be a monster in our offense. BUT I think most 3-4 teams that need ILBs - so everybody BUT SF - noticed his play as well = $$$
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4588
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to play versatility! Looks at the 9ers and the Ravens, they stay in their base or nickel and can defend the run and pass. Look at what Brady did to us, we were to busy switching personnel and figuring who lines up where, while he was already hiking the ball and throwing for a TD.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5521
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
I think what killed Teo wasnt the fake girlfriend drama, but his atrocious play against Alabama. He got absolutely embarrassed and his flaws were shown. His best game of his year also came against someone who is trying to play WR in the NFL. I would gladly watch us pass him over.


I don't care who is there, there is no possible justification I can imagine for taking an ILB in the 1st. We essentially get a #1 pick back with Cushing returning from injury and we just went through this exercise of the marginal value of the #2 ILB in Wade's 3-4 that has the ILB drawing about as many snaps as the #3 Safety does.

Team Captain DeMeco Ryans played 58% of our snaps in 2011. If somebody wanted to spend some time reconciling 2012 accounting for post week 5 rotation of James + various starters including Ruud, Dobbins, Sharpton they could, but looking at James in the first 4 weeks shows 56%, 63%, 33%, 45% of snaps for an average of 49% of snaps while Cushing is out there 90%+. If you combine the #3 safeties, Demps, Nolan, and Keo they played 48% of snaps. Since it always comes up, our traditional NT's Mitchell and Cody played 61% of snaps.


I guess my question is like so: Do we know if this is a staple of Wade Phillips' brand of a 3-4 defense, or do we issue the splits like so because our ILBs past Cushing are that bad? The stat to point at is Ryans in 2011 with 58% of snaps (I thought the number was in the mid 40s, but I digress) but was that a function of Wade's D...or was it due to Ryans simply not fitting and Wade running with a front seven format that would work in his favor?

That's why I'm not COMPLETELY off the ILB in the 1st wagon. (Would still prefer a WR, in case you were wondering...but not TOTALLY abandoning ship here). Yes, the percentages over the past two seasons point to it being a non-issue, but do we know if that is because of a lack of personnel (further skewed due to the loss of Sharpton in 2011 and the loss of Cushing in 2012), or is it because that's how this D operates? If Wade were to get a stud ILB to place along Cushing - whether it be a Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree or Te'o - would we see those percentages rise?

Just thinking out loud here.


I'll go a step further. Never in the history of the league has ILB been LESS important. The rise of base 3 WR offenses already marginalized #2 ILBs, development of quasi 4th WR offenses that have Aaron Hernandez type TEs operating as WRs further marginalized them, and the rise/proliferation of the pistol QBs further rendered them useful only against antiquated offenses like the Jags or obvious running situations. Ask Jerry Jones how useful having even a good ILB like Sean Lee spy against RG3 works out? How inept was Dom Capers strict 3-4 against Kaepernick? Were the Ravens asking Ray Lewis to cover Hernandez or Vernon Davis? We are in a division vs. the Colts who base 3WR or 2TE and whomever we may draft at ILB isn't covering TY Hilton or Coby Fleener and Luck certainly qualifies as a running QB in need of attention. Titans mission is to integrate 3 explosive WRs and take advantage of Locker's wheels with pistol packages. We play the Seahawks and 49ers next year and who knows what the Chiefs, Raiders, and Cardinals will run. Hell, the 49ers couldn't even cover a running QB despite practicing against one all season with their 3-4 featuring 3 pro bowl ILBs as evidenced by Russell Wilson destroying them in week 16.

Yes, ILB is still a starting position on this football team in need of upgrade, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the common elements in our losses to Green Bay, New England, Minny, and Indy was lack of depth in the secondary (especially poor play at nickel & deep safety), special teams, and lack of production outside of AJ & Arian. The ILB folks would have an argument if we had lost to a team like Cinn or struggled against the run, but we didn't even AFTER losing Cushing and having an inferior interior defensive line. Hell, we were amongst the ONLY teams to slow down AP and he was running for a record, but our offense was a joke when we couldn't hand it to Arian 30 times. If I'm game planning against the Texans I'm doing everything I can to get McCain/Harris/Ball and/or Demps/Nolan/Keo on the field and counting on my 3 WRs & TE to outscore AJ (who has a whopping 6 tds the past 2 seasons combined). It's about time we figured out that 100 yards and a td from Arian and 100 yards and no td from AJ will not outscore a elite offenses like the ones we'll face in the playoffs and the elite defenses we will face will likely shut one of them down.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LORK 88


Moderator
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 6085
Location: Endor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
LORK 88 wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think we can get away with either signing a free agent or drafting someone in the middle rounds as Apollo suggested. Nico Johnson out of Alabama makes the most sense to me around the 4th. Brad Jones is another name I've seen tossed around that I wouldn't mind as well. I don't think we need another stud next to Cushing, just someone to take on blocks and help out on running downs.


I think Brad Jones could be a monster in our offense. BUT I think most 3-4 teams that need ILBs - so everybody BUT SF - noticed his play as well = $$$

True, although Ellerbe and Maualuga might get more than him. If he's to expensive, we could even try and sign a guy like Larry Grant. There's a decent slew of LBs who were part-time starters with 3-4 experience so we shouldn't have too much trouble finding a depth signing.
_________________

TEXANS NATION LONGTIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jch1911


Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 3620
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LORK 88 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
LORK 88 wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think we can get away with either signing a free agent or drafting someone in the middle rounds as Apollo suggested. Nico Johnson out of Alabama makes the most sense to me around the 4th. Brad Jones is another name I've seen tossed around that I wouldn't mind as well. I don't think we need another stud next to Cushing, just someone to take on blocks and help out on running downs.


I think Brad Jones could be a monster in our offense. BUT I think most 3-4 teams that need ILBs - so everybody BUT SF - noticed his play as well = $$$

True, although Ellerbe and Maualuga might get more than him. If he's to expensive, we could even try and sign a guy like Larry Grant. There's a decent slew of LBs who were part-time starters with 3-4 experience so we shouldn't have too much trouble finding a depth signing.


I agree on Larry Grant... and I agree with Apollo's point above - a hybrid S / LB who can cover TE's and help with slot WR's is more important than a thumper on 1st & 2nd down b/c IIRC we kept getting burnt in our nickel and dime packages more than anything else. Dobbins & James were decent in the run game, but it is a passing league more than ever now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4588
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
LORK 88 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
LORK 88 wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think we can get away with either signing a free agent or drafting someone in the middle rounds as Apollo suggested. Nico Johnson out of Alabama makes the most sense to me around the 4th. Brad Jones is another name I've seen tossed around that I wouldn't mind as well. I don't think we need another stud next to Cushing, just someone to take on blocks and help out on running downs.


I think Brad Jones could be a monster in our offense. BUT I think most 3-4 teams that need ILBs - so everybody BUT SF - noticed his play as well = $$$

True, although Ellerbe and Maualuga might get more than him. If he's to expensive, we could even try and sign a guy like Larry Grant. There's a decent slew of LBs who were part-time starters with 3-4 experience so we shouldn't have too much trouble finding a depth signing.


I agree on Larry Grant... and I agree with Apollo's point above - a hybrid S / LB who can cover TE's and help with slot WR's is more important than a thumper on 1st & 2nd down b/c IIRC we kept getting burnt in our nickel and dime packages more than anything else. Dobbins & James were decent in the run game, but it is a passing league more than ever now.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8CmJtkN8c

Meet ILB Alec Ogletree

EDIT:Here's another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZOXZcRZNM

At 1:12 Shocked If you can stop Eddie Lacy dead in his tracks on the goal-line, that's saying something.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grasspike


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 5153
Location: Davidson College
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
I think what killed Teo wasnt the fake girlfriend drama, but his atrocious play against Alabama. He got absolutely embarrassed and his flaws were shown. His best game of his year also came against someone who is trying to play WR in the NFL. I would gladly watch us pass him over.


I don't care who is there, there is no possible justification I can imagine for taking an ILB in the 1st. We essentially get a #1 pick back with Cushing returning from injury and we just went through this exercise of the marginal value of the #2 ILB in Wade's 3-4 that has the ILB drawing about as many snaps as the #3 Safety does.

Team Captain DeMeco Ryans played 58% of our snaps in 2011. If somebody wanted to spend some time reconciling 2012 accounting for post week 5 rotation of James + various starters including Ruud, Dobbins, Sharpton they could, but looking at James in the first 4 weeks shows 56%, 63%, 33%, 45% of snaps for an average of 49% of snaps while Cushing is out there 90%+. If you combine the #3 safeties, Demps, Nolan, and Keo they played 48% of snaps. Since it always comes up, our traditional NT's Mitchell and Cody played 61% of snaps.


I guess my question is like so: Do we know if this is a staple of Wade Phillips' brand of a 3-4 defense, or do we issue the splits like so because our ILBs past Cushing are that bad? The stat to point at is Ryans in 2011 with 58% of snaps (I thought the number was in the mid 40s, but I digress) but was that a function of Wade's D...or was it due to Ryans simply not fitting and Wade running with a front seven format that would work in his favor?

That's why I'm not COMPLETELY off the ILB in the 1st wagon. (Would still prefer a WR, in case you were wondering...but not TOTALLY abandoning ship here). Yes, the percentages over the past two seasons point to it being a non-issue, but do we know if that is because of a lack of personnel (further skewed due to the loss of Sharpton in 2011 and the loss of Cushing in 2012), or is it because that's how this D operates? If Wade were to get a stud ILB to place along Cushing - whether it be a Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree or Te'o - would we see those percentages rise?

Just thinking out loud here.


I'll go a step further. Never in the history of the league has ILB been LESS important. The rise of base 3 WR offenses already marginalized #2 ILBs, development of quasi 4th WR offenses that have Aaron Hernandez type TEs operating as WRs further marginalized them, and the rise/proliferation of the pistol QBs further rendered them useful only against antiquated offenses like the Jags or obvious running situations. Ask Jerry Jones how useful having even a good ILB like Sean Lee spy against RG3 works out? How inept was Dom Capers strict 3-4 against Kaepernick? Were the Ravens asking Ray Lewis to cover Hernandez or Vernon Davis? We are in a division vs. the Colts who base 3WR or 2TE and whomever we may draft at ILB isn't covering TY Hilton or Coby Fleener and Luck certainly qualifies as a running QB in need of attention. Titans mission is to integrate 3 explosive WRs and take advantage of Locker's wheels with pistol packages. We play the Seahawks and 49ers next year and who knows what the Chiefs, Raiders, and Cardinals will run. Hell, the 49ers couldn't even cover a running QB despite practicing against one all season with their 3-4 featuring 3 pro bowl ILBs as evidenced by Russell Wilson destroying them in week 16.

Yes, ILB is still a starting position on this football team in need of upgrade, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the common elements in our losses to Green Bay, New England, Minny, and Indy was lack of depth in the secondary (especially poor play at nickel & deep safety), special teams, and lack of production outside of AJ & Arian. The ILB folks would have an argument if we had lost to a team like Cinn or struggled against the run, but we didn't even AFTER losing Cushing and having an inferior interior defensive line. Hell, we were amongst the ONLY teams to slow down AP and he was running for a record, but our offense was a joke when we couldn't hand it to Arian 30 times. If I'm game planning against the Texans I'm doing everything I can to get McCain/Harris/Ball and/or Demps/Nolan/Keo on the field and counting on my 3 WRs & TE to outscore AJ (who has a whopping 6 tds the past 2 seasons combined). It's about time we figured out that 100 yards and a td from Arian and 100 yards and no td from AJ will not outscore a elite offenses like the ones we'll face in the playoffs and the elite defenses we will face will likely shut one of them down.


Or you could go the other way and note that the 49ers have had the best defense in the league in the past two-year period, with Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman arguably being the biggest reason for that, personnel-wise.
_________________

Sig by matthouston91
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38129
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
I think what killed Teo wasnt the fake girlfriend drama, but his atrocious play against Alabama. He got absolutely embarrassed and his flaws were shown. His best game of his year also came against someone who is trying to play WR in the NFL. I would gladly watch us pass him over.


I don't care who is there, there is no possible justification I can imagine for taking an ILB in the 1st. We essentially get a #1 pick back with Cushing returning from injury and we just went through this exercise of the marginal value of the #2 ILB in Wade's 3-4 that has the ILB drawing about as many snaps as the #3 Safety does.

Team Captain DeMeco Ryans played 58% of our snaps in 2011. If somebody wanted to spend some time reconciling 2012 accounting for post week 5 rotation of James + various starters including Ruud, Dobbins, Sharpton they could, but looking at James in the first 4 weeks shows 56%, 63%, 33%, 45% of snaps for an average of 49% of snaps while Cushing is out there 90%+. If you combine the #3 safeties, Demps, Nolan, and Keo they played 48% of snaps. Since it always comes up, our traditional NT's Mitchell and Cody played 61% of snaps.


I guess my question is like so: Do we know if this is a staple of Wade Phillips' brand of a 3-4 defense, or do we issue the splits like so because our ILBs past Cushing are that bad? The stat to point at is Ryans in 2011 with 58% of snaps (I thought the number was in the mid 40s, but I digress) but was that a function of Wade's D...or was it due to Ryans simply not fitting and Wade running with a front seven format that would work in his favor?

That's why I'm not COMPLETELY off the ILB in the 1st wagon. (Would still prefer a WR, in case you were wondering...but not TOTALLY abandoning ship here). Yes, the percentages over the past two seasons point to it being a non-issue, but do we know if that is because of a lack of personnel (further skewed due to the loss of Sharpton in 2011 and the loss of Cushing in 2012), or is it because that's how this D operates? If Wade were to get a stud ILB to place along Cushing - whether it be a Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree or Te'o - would we see those percentages rise?

Just thinking out loud here.


I'll go a step further. Never in the history of the league has ILB been LESS important. The rise of base 3 WR offenses already marginalized #2 ILBs, development of quasi 4th WR offenses that have Aaron Hernandez type TEs operating as WRs further marginalized them, and the rise/proliferation of the pistol QBs further rendered them useful only against antiquated offenses like the Jags or obvious running situations. Ask Jerry Jones how useful having even a good ILB like Sean Lee spy against RG3 works out? How inept was Dom Capers strict 3-4 against Kaepernick? Were the Ravens asking Ray Lewis to cover Hernandez or Vernon Davis? We are in a division vs. the Colts who base 3WR or 2TE and whomever we may draft at ILB isn't covering TY Hilton or Coby Fleener and Luck certainly qualifies as a running QB in need of attention. Titans mission is to integrate 3 explosive WRs and take advantage of Locker's wheels with pistol packages. We play the Seahawks and 49ers next year and who knows what the Chiefs, Raiders, and Cardinals will run. Hell, the 49ers couldn't even cover a running QB despite practicing against one all season with their 3-4 featuring 3 pro bowl ILBs as evidenced by Russell Wilson destroying them in week 16.

Yes, ILB is still a starting position on this football team in need of upgrade, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the common elements in our losses to Green Bay, New England, Minny, and Indy was lack of depth in the secondary (especially poor play at nickel & deep safety), special teams, and lack of production outside of AJ & Arian. The ILB folks would have an argument if we had lost to a team like Cinn or struggled against the run, but we didn't even AFTER losing Cushing and having an inferior interior defensive line. Hell, we were amongst the ONLY teams to slow down AP and he was running for a record, but our offense was a joke when we couldn't hand it to Arian 30 times. If I'm game planning against the Texans I'm doing everything I can to get McCain/Harris/Ball and/or Demps/Nolan/Keo on the field and counting on my 3 WRs & TE to outscore AJ (who has a whopping 6 tds the past 2 seasons combined). It's about time we figured out that 100 yards and a td from Arian and 100 yards and no td from AJ will not outscore a elite offenses like the ones we'll face in the playoffs and the elite defenses we will face will likely shut one of them down.


I get where you're coming from, great points abound - but what about a team like the 49ers, who have two All Pro calbur ILBs with Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman? The team adjusted it's sub packages based on having these two elite players, players who have an amazing skillset that doesn't have to be dictated by scheme - both play the run well, play the pass well, can diagnose, blitz the QB - I'd wager that those two ILBs play upwards of 90% of defensive snaps for the 49ers, the best defense in the NFL. The 49ers have one of the best pass rushing OLBs in Aldon Smith, and (based on a very limited view of the team) the LB that's subbed out on passing downs is Ahmad Brooks - even he sees a LOT of snaps.

Part of what makes the 49ers 3-4 work so well is that they have these LBs to shuffle in and out. QBs have to be mindful of any sort of personnel shuffle, because they can't read their D based on sub packages. Just because one guy is out doesn't limit the possibilities this D can attack from.

An ILB who can get into the Bowman/Willis discussion is our own Brian Cushing - if we can find someone who can mimic Cush's impact on the D, wouldn't it behoove us to investigate, at the least? There aren't many defenses that can claim to be better than the Texans over the last two seasons, it's the 49ers. While the presence of two All Pro ILBs isn't the SOLE reason in which this is the case, having these two surely doesn't hurt their cause.
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 34 of 63

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group