Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rex Ryans Defense

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GangGreen420


Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Posts: 3084
Location: FL
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Rex Ryans Defense Reply with quote

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...hzH7Cozq7jfO7J


The Jets have failed to stop the run ó they rank 28th in the league, giving up 148.7 yards per game


canít stop opponents on third down ó allowing 55.8 percent of third downs to be converted, worst in the NFL.


They have just three sacks, 29th in the NFL, this year.


They have blitzed five or more rushers on 40 pass plays this season, according to ESPN. Only five teams have blitzed more than them. The blitzes have not yielded much success. Teams are completing 65 percent of their passes when the Jets blitz


And now there is no Revis. What do the Jets need to do to fix this? Its only 3 games in, but these numbers are truly awful and now missing our best defensive player. And two of our opponents were the Dolphins and Bills, not exactly offensive juggernauts. We're in first place right now, but this is scary, especially with New England x2 still to come.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JetFanSince85


Joined: 27 Dec 2011
Posts: 612
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Creative. 3-4 D is built to stop the run. Get into a 4-3 front on passing dowms

Wilkerson,Ellis,Couples, Pace

Smith at LB, Harris LB McIntyre

Start stunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We get Zero free runs at QB's Take advantage of the weak offensive lineman.

Couples should rush from the tackle position just like Tuck did in 2007. He can beat guards with ease, and if not, he is tall enough to clog the passing lane in the middle of the field.

D can't be this bad and to be honest Sunday scares me. But Typical Jet fashion would be to win this game and raise the expetations only to collapse down the road.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsman82


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 20040
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending five isn't really "blitzing" to me. But the guys need to start winning their 1-on-1 battles.

When watching the Ravens last night, you would see them blitz, and they would be aggressive on the outside. The Jets need to do that. They can't blitz and play soft on the outside. You have to start sending more than they can block, and play press on the outside, it's that simple. The Jets literally built their team on this concept, I have no idea why they're getting away from it.

It may have to do with the run defense, or lack thereof, but they have to figure something out with this pass rush or it's going to be a long season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7805
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what happens when you skip the need for a OLB. OLB's help against the run, and pass rushing. All the top defenses has at least one good OLB; Steelers- Woodley, Ravens-Suggs , 49ers- Smith. Texans don't have a stand out OLB, but they have JJ who is getting at the QB's when ever. Rex has got to stop skipping the OLB position thinking he can just put anyone out there. Even the Saints defense have more sacks than we do.
_________________

Quote:
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
Thats what happens when you skip the need for a OLB. OLB's help against the run, and pass rushing. All the top defenses has at least one good OLB; Steelers- Woodley, Ravens-Suggs , 49ers- Smith. Texans don't have a stand out OLB, but they have JJ who is getting at the QB's when ever. Rex has got to stop skipping the OLB position thinking he can just put anyone out there. Even the Saints defense have more sacks than we do.


Connor Barwin had 11.5 sacks for them last season. Brooks Reed is also pretty good and they just spent a first round pick on Whitney Mercilus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7805
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
Thats what happens when you skip the need for a OLB. OLB's help against the run, and pass rushing. All the top defenses has at least one good OLB; Steelers- Woodley, Ravens-Suggs , 49ers- Smith. Texans don't have a stand out OLB, but they have JJ who is getting at the QB's when ever. Rex has got to stop skipping the OLB position thinking he can just put anyone out there. Even the Saints defense have more sacks than we do.


Connor Barwin had 11.5 sacks for them last season. Brooks Reed is also pretty good and they just spent a first round pick on Whitney Mercilus.


True , I forgot about him. But that proves my point. Its hard to run a 3-4 without good OLB's. Every year we make OLB our top need, and he continues to skip it.
_________________

Quote:
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quietjetsket


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 3854
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wade Phillips loves pass rushers anywhere. Rex Ryan does not because he relies on blitz scheme.


Without Revis, Jets will need to blitz more or heavily pass rush to disrupt qb's concentration.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MoLewis57


Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 201
Location: In your head
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetFanSince85 wrote:
Get Creative. 3-4 D is built to stop the run. Get into a 4-3 front on passing dowms

Wilkerson,Ellis,Couples, Pace

Smith at LB, Harris LB McIntyre

Start stunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We get Zero free runs at QB's Take advantage of the weak offensive lineman.

Couples should rush from the tackle position just like Tuck did in 2007. He can beat guards with ease, and if not, he is tall enough to clog the passing lane in the middle of the field.

D can't be this bad and to be honest Sunday scares me. But Typical Jet fashion would be to win this game and raise the expetations only to collapse down the road.


Put davis where McIntyre is and thats a good plan. We need the speed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetsfan4life51


Joined: 12 Jan 2006
Posts: 32868
Location: lawn guy land
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Rex's first year when the Jets started off 3-0 and we blitzed like crazy?

A million games later we have yet to do that again.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GangGreen420


Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Posts: 3084
Location: FL
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Remember Rex's first year when the Jets started off 3-0 and we blitzed like crazy?

A million games later we have yet to do that again.


I think they moved away from all the overload blitzing because teams were starting to figure it out.

But with how bad the defense is right now, I wouldn't mind having to go back to some exotic looks and blitzes, we NEED to get a little pressure on the QB, especially with all the guys talked up in preseason being pretty much non existent.

I tell you what though, if the defense finishes outside of the top 20, then Rex needs to be fired or demoted to DC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Remember Rex's first year when the Jets started off 3-0 and we blitzed like crazy?

A million games later we have yet to do that again.


Those were the days. All the overload blitzes. Bart Scott was the GOAT for those three games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rich51


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1196
Location: WPB Fl via Jc NJ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Remember Rex's first year when the Jets started off 3-0 and we blitzed like crazy?

A million games later we have yet to do that again.


I think they moved away from all the overload blitzing because teams were starting to figure it out.

But with how bad the defense is right now, I wouldn't mind having to go back to some exotic looks and blitzes, we NEED to get a little pressure on the QB, especially with all the guys talked up in preseason being pretty much non existent.

I tell you what though, if the defense finishes outside of the top 20, then Rex needs to be fired or demoted to DC.


I think we need to start doing it again, especially on third downs. We need to make the qb rush his passes. Cro has to be the shutdown corner and Harris or whoevers not blitzing have to make sure the short passes are for little or no gain. We can't let the qb get comfortable .

That 55% third down completion rate will kill us the rest of the year. We were lucky we got off to the fast start against the Bills and the Miami win could have just as easily been a loss, both teams were bad.

If things don't change we might be getting a top 5 draft choice although since none of this years draft have made any impact (except Hill's first game) I'm not sure if that would help much. We'd probably take another defensive lineman that can't get to the qb.

After having high hopes for this years defensie I'm frustrated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group