Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Weeden Comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OUTLAW wrote:
Just looked at Bleacher Report giving Weeden the lowest grade of all the rookie QB's a D. I'm not shocked since they seem to always put more weight on that first opinion but frankly after watching all but Luck play I think Weeden has been better than all but Luck and Griffin (and Griffin was awful in that last game). I think Weeden has been getting lambasted merely because of his age and not his play. Folks just want to justify them saying he was a reach.

People are reading stat lines most likely.

Stat lines rarely paint an accurate picture.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially when you have games where receivers drop 7 balls

Vince Lombardi
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OUTLAW wrote:
Especially when you have games where receivers drop 7 balls

If only that was in the stat line.

Of course even those stats don't tell the whole story. A few of those drops were on balls down the field that would have either been scores or awfully close.

NickZambo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
The OUTLAW wrote:
Just looked at Bleacher Report giving Weeden the lowest grade of all the rookie QB's a D. I'm not shocked since they seem to always put more weight on that first opinion but frankly after watching all but Luck play I think Weeden has been better than all but Luck and Griffin (and Griffin was awful in that last game). I think Weeden has been getting lambasted merely because of his age and not his play. Folks just want to justify them saying he was a reach.

Stats show Weeden is on pace to throw for 4000 yards.

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
The OUTLAW wrote:

Sure is.

He'll only have to throw the ball 40 times per game to do so.

pscottdai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
The OUTLAW wrote:

Sure is.

Funny note regarding that - In one of the other threads (think it was the GDT) folks were going overbaord about the fact he threw the ball 52 times but if you look at Flacco, he trew it 46. To me that confirms what others were saying about it being more of a passing league and much less a running league. Given that, he may just get 40 attempts per game going forward.
tricklogic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 40+ is ok when you're in a shootout or need to throw to be in the game. We were in the game the entire time, 14 runs is unacceptable when your best player is a RB.

On top of that I still wouldn't mind seeing if we have something in Hardesty, Jackson or OGBYN. I feel like T Rich was close to breaking one off. He was moving with a head of steam when he had the ball in his hands.

I like that Weeden is progressing pretty clearly every game. I really don't think he needs to be throwing 40+ a game though. These receivers need to start helping him progress. Make some tough catches and we'll get some wins. Weeden gets more confidence and builds some chemistry who knows what could happen late in the season.

MoMass being in the Ravens games changes things. Hopefully he can stay healthy because he is the closest to a safety valve. Watson doesn't look even as quick as he did last year. I'm really hoping Jordan Cameron can kick it up a notch too. Got some serious mismatches out there at least.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pscottdai wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
The OUTLAW wrote:

Sure is.

Funny note regarding that - In one of the other threads (think it was the GDT) folks were going overbaord about the fact he threw the ball 52 times but if you look at Flacco, he trew it 46. To me that confirms what others were saying about it being more of a passing league and much less a running league. Given that, he may just get 40 attempts per game going forward.

Flacco is an experienced QB with an experienced offense around him, not a rookie playing with other rookies.

A good, experienced QB throwing the ball 40 times per game should be closer to 5000 yards than 4000.

FWIW, we're 4th in the league in passing attempts, 29th in rushing attempts (per game of course). This isn't anything close to a balanced offense.

It's not even a 'pass first' balanced offense.

The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
The OUTLAW wrote:

Sure is.

If we keep playing from behind and have no running game that might happen.

Vince Lombardi
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in the game thread I was mentioning that 20 first half passes was too many for us. We needed to get Richardson more involved. So you know that 32 in the second half was completely ridiculous.

Vince Lombardi
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OUTLAW wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
The OUTLAW wrote:

Sure is.

If we keep playing from behind and have no running game that might happen.

Playing from behind doesn't mean you have to abandon the run.

Down 10 with 10 plus minutes is plenty of time to run your offense.

We seem to agree on that Shurmur is pass happy though.

StewieRules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Weeden will be just fine. He's clearly learning, to me this was very clear in the Ravens game - I saw his head pivoting through reads (most of the time) and he stepped into the pocket to plan & throw on numerous occasions despite pretty constant pressure. And when isn't his ball a tight spinning spiral? He adds a little arc on those longer passes and he'll start hitting the longer stuff I'm sure - I know he'll figure it out. And while you wouldn't call him mobile, he's getting a better feel for moving within the pocket and even his roll outs aren't Marino-esque. Weeden will be fine.

Clearly though his receiving corps need upgrade. Gordon should develop but honestly, we need to get him a veteran who knows how to A) run routes and B) catch the DAMN ball. If Jennings could be traded for this year or signed in FA next year I'd do it and wouldn't think twice. Ditto Welker if he leaves New England after this season - the impact of a proven player at the position would do wonders for the unit as a whole. Little is a heart-breaker, I don't see that changing. Norwood saw his 1st action of the year so I think its only fair to give him a few games to get into synch, but he's not a number two even in the best-case scenario. Benjamin shows promise, I loved how the Ravens DBs played off him already aware of his speed. And Mo, well ... he's playing better clearly but just isnt robust enough to be counted on for a full season.

Our play calling isn't doing Weeden any favors - no rhythm passes to get into the groove, and asking any rook to toss it 40 plus times a game is too much, especially with TR in the backfield. Steelers didn't do that with Big Ben his rookie year - while he made plays from day one, his attempts per game were under 30 most of the time. A more balanced attack would help Weeds out.

Lastly, what is the obsession with everyone wanting a RDE with the 1st pick or two? This upcoming draft will have many good players in it at that position and frankly, DE isn't even close to our biggest need right now. Rucker isn't sexy but he gets the job done. Our D screams for a quality S and a number two CB above all else. On offense, get a WR, at least one guard and a FB (since this is the WCO) and collectively we'll be knocking on the AFC Norths door next season. A choice player or two in FA will have to be part of the equation along with a solid draft, but I definitely see brighter days ahead for this franchise.
candyman93

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What job does Frostee get done? Defending the run? True, but he is a liability when we need to rush the QB. An o-line can just double Sheard

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
StewieRules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rucker at starting DE is better than Patterson and Brown at CB and Young at FS. Positionally, CB and S trump DE right now, especially when the D-Line is looked at as a whole.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OUTLAW wrote:

Found your first problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: