Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brian Urlacher vs Ray Lewis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the better middle LB???
Brian Urlacher
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Ray Lewis
75%
 75%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 20

Bears54

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Brian Urlacher vs Ray Lewis Reply with quote

I wanted to see who do you think is the better MLB.

Ray Lewis

- Born : May 15, 1975
- 6'1 240 pounds 37 years old
- 13 time pro bowler
- 1 super bowl
- 1st round pick 26th pick by the Balitmore Ravens in the 1996 Draft
- 17 years in the NFL
- 226 total games played
- 1549 Solo tackles/ 488 assisted tackles/41.5 sacks/31 INT/ 3 INT Tds

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3542/career

Brian Urlacher

- Born: May 25, 1978
- 6'4 260 pounds 34 years old
- 8 time pro bowler
- 1 NFC Championship
- 1st round pick 9th pick by the Chicago Bears in the 2000 Draft
- 13 years in the NFL
- 173 total games played
- 1003 solo tackles/ 305 assisted tackles/ 41.5 sacks/ 21 INT/ 1 INT Td

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5038/career

Brian Urlacher has played 4 years less than Ray Lewis but it appears Urlacher will pass Ray stat wise if he can keep it going for another 4 years. I dont know how much longer Brian has with his knee and contract coming up, but I sure would like to see him play a few more years. I also think Brain will pass Ray on sacks, and INTs. They are both great in their own way.

I rather have Brian in his prime. I like Brian's cover skills, and his speed. but I also like Rays intensity and how is such a vocal leader and makes everyone around him better. I also think Ray is a bigger hitter. BUT i think Ray has had more talent around him on his defenses that he has played with in the past.
Pinky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a huge Urlacher fan, but Ray Lewis is the best middle linebacker ever to play the game.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Brian Urlacher vs Ray Lewis Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
Brian Urlacher has played 4 years less than Ray Lewis but it appears Urlacher will pass Ray stat wise if he can keep it going for another 4 years. I dont know how much longer Brian has with his knee and contract coming up, but I sure would like to see him play a few more years.

At this point I see zero chance that Urlacher plays 4 more years…even if he has the heart to play 4 more years I don’t think he has the knee to play at such a high level…

Both Urlacher & Lewis are sure fire hall of famers…but Lewis IMO is the 2nd best MLB in history only behind Butkus who revolutionised the position & is the definition of a defensive attitude…it’s no slight on Urlacher to say Lewis is better than him but you can’t really argue against Lewis other than if you wanted a prototype cover 2 MLB which Urlacher is the best of all time at…no MLB covers the centre of the field with as much depth or range as Urlacher did at his best.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give the nod to Lewis but I think Urlacher should also make the Hall of Fame. Urlacher was held back stat wise with the cover 2.
51to54

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky wrote:
i'm a huge Urlacher fan, but Ray Lewis is the best middle linebacker ever to play the game.

I can understand you saying this if you are 20 something and you haven't seen much of the non-FF NFL era, but our own HOF MLB Butkus is twice the MLB that Lewis would be and 51 never got involved in a murder, except for a bunch of ball carriers.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis is the 2nd greatest downhill MLB of all time. Urlacher is the best coverage MLB of all time. Overall I give a slight edge to Lewis, both are first ballot HOFers

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you polled all NFL fans, I think the consensus would be that Ray Lewis is a lock to be a first-ballot HOF, and Urlacher deserves serious consideration but is not a sure-fire first ballot.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
If you polled all NFL fans, I think the consensus would be that Ray Lewis is a lock to be a first-ballot HOF, and Urlacher deserves serious consideration but is not a sure-fire first ballot.
Lewis' popularity would effect that pole as much as his play on the field. Players that do a "song and dance" like Lewis does will always be more popular.
TytybearsFan21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Ray Lewis. It's always been him.

Impressive that urlacher has him matched on sacks.
Bears54

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Hmm.... Reply with quote

I believe Urlacher is the best cover 2 middle LB to ever play the game, and Urlachers stats aren't to far off from Rays and it seems he will pass Ray in some categorizes. Brian played in the cover 2 scheme where he did more coverage than just go head on with the RB or FB and still made his plays. Brian never had a guy like Ngata playing in front of him which probably going to be the best 3-4 nose tackle ever right now to ever play tha position. Brian never had a ED safety type player playing behind him, (Mike Brown was the closest thing) and Brian never had a Terrell Suggs type player in his career till Peppers came along. I think Ray is a great MLB, but he had alot of help especially with the 2000 ravens. Brian never really had any other studs till Briggs came along. I dont think Ray would have been as effective had he played in the Cover 2 scheme like Brian did or if Ray played for the Bears. However, i think Brian still would have been just as effective in the 3-4 defense playing for the Ravens with all the that defensive talent around him.

Brian needs a Superbowl ring on his finger, than he has a leg up on Ray, I think.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A third linebacker from the same era is Derrick Brooks. Some people consider him an eventual shoe-in for the HOF; others do not. If Urlacher is Canton-bound, it will be interesting to see if/how Brooks impacts Urlacher.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Ray Lewis, but there is no shame in coming in 2nd.

Lewis won a Super Bowl by pure will...I have never seen anything like that. When you really look back at that Ravens team the other defensive players really didnt go on to do much in the league....and we already know about the offense.

Ray Lewis won a SB from the MLB position which is amazing.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:

Lewis won a Super Bowl by pure will...I have never seen anything like that. When you really look back at that Ravens team the other defensive players really didnt go on to do much in the league....and we already know about the offense.

What???

Rod Woodson-HOFer
Chris McCallister-Multiple Pro Bowler
Sam Adams-1st Ballot Hall of Very Good player
Tony Siragusa-Very good player for a long time before going to the Ravens

Just off the top of my head. You don't challenge the 85 Bears for best defense of all time w/o some really, really good players

MonserinNC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

What???

Rod Woodson-HOFer

Just off the top of my head. You don't challenge the 85 Bears for best defense of all time w/o some really, really good players

Haha, I was ready for the argument.

Goose and McCallister never did anything outisde of that Ravens team, that was the point I was making.

Woodson and Adams were older and basically never palyed again after leaving that squad. (Although I admit they were very good even as old guys)

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

What???

Rod Woodson-HOFer

Haha, I was ready for the argument.

Goose and McCallister never did anything outisde of that Ravens team, that was the point I was making.

Woodson and Adams were older and basically never palyed again after leaving that squad. (Although I admit they were very good even as old guys)
McCallister was a raven for pretty much his whole career. Goose was quite a player w/ the colts before the Ravens.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: