Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Add Any Player to the Phins
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Add Any Player to the Phins Reply with quote

Lets say you can pick any player currently on another team in the league to add to the Dolphins. Who do you add and why? Assume they are going to be on the team throughout a 4-5 year contract.

In the past we've had questions like this and the player has almost always been a QB. Now that we seem to have Tannehill as our QB of the future, I wanted to see if it changed anyone's answers.

I'll post my selection after some other have chimed in.
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Allen.

Jared Allen ------------- Randy Starks ------------ Paul Soliai --------------Cam Wake

Shocked

Pass rush solved.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Rodgers. I like Tannehill, maybe he'll be great- maybe very soon, even. But I know that Rodgers is.

If I had to pick a non- QB, it would probably be Calvin Johnson, DeMarcus Ware, or Patrick Willis. JJ Watt looks like he'll be a close runner-up by year's end.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Rodgers for me. Tannehill is still a question mark. I'll take the sure thing. QB is too important a position.

If it wasn't a QB, then I would say AJ Green or Calvin Johnson. Or maybe Rob Gronkowski. JJ Watt would be another great one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have Jimmy Graham.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB position is to easy so I will stay away and plus I like Tanney

For offense I would go- Calvin Johnson

Defense- Clay Mathews

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.....very good question Merc. This is one I'll have to think about.

So, what are the most important positions in professional football? Maybe it would be easier to eliminate certain positions instead. We know its not OLB in a 4-3 scheme. We know it's not Guard, although they're great assets. TE is a good thing to consider but it certainly wouldn't come before a lot of others. Finally, most of us wouldn't exactly find even the best NFL RB to be a franchise necessity, especially not in a West Coast Offense.

Now, that's not to say that RBs aren't important. Cam Cameron's offense relied heavily on LaDanian Tomlinson and wouldn't survive in Baltimore without Ray Rice. Andy Reid, a West Coast guy, wouldn't have made it this long without Brian Westbrook and his eventual replacement LeSean McCoy. For those offenses, the RBs play a pivotal run running screens and short routes that keep the offense on the field and moving.

Will that be the case for us however? Well it bares mentioning that Tannehill probably has a better chance of finding the type of success we've seen from McNabb, Rivers & Flacco than the all-world dominance of the uber-QB currently residing in Green Bay. As wonderful as it would be to have Tannehill impress like that, it probably won't happen quite so majestically. He looks like the type that can play well but who'll need help at the skill positions, a solid running game and a stout defense to boot.

Okay, so he's not in line to be Peyton Manning. Big whoop!

Let's consider a few players that might seemingly hold some upside if we were drafting from an all-inclusive NFL pool tomorrow.

QB:

Aaron Rodgers
He's everything you want in a modern passer: smart, quick-thinking, accurate, big arm, pocket awareness, scrambling ability, reads defenses and coverages, ability to audible at the line, etc, etc, etc. He's not as young as some but he's a perfect fit in this offense and could produce highly for almost another decade.

Matt Ryan
He has quite possibly done more to evolve and grow as a passer since entering the league 5 years ago than anyone I can name. His arm has gotten stronger. His accuracy is without question. He's very smart. He's very dedicated. He's a leader and a guy I could see winning a championship before it's all said and done. What's more, he's young and he'll contribute to his team for the next 10+ years which makes him a smart answer to this question. Sorry Deets if you're reading this! Sad

Andrew Luck
This guy without question is the best passer to emerge from college football in...maybe ever. Funny to think that both he and a guy like Tim Tebow can hold the same title in this world, huh!? Anyway, the best thing about Andrew Luck is that he holds all the cards necessary to be a great QB in virtually any system but he's young enough to give you 15 years of great service instead of the 8-to-10 that the above two would. While he's not technically as proven a commodity, he's actually doing a great job living up to his other-worldly draft hype. Some of the throws he's currently making are just breath-taking.

WR:

Calvin Johnson
This guy transcends offensive philosophy. He's just not cover-able by even the best NFL defensive backs. The other day I saw a team roll triple coverage his way. That's just comical. It's scary to think what he might do with a truly elite QB like Brady throwing him the ball. While Stafford's done great job and usually gives Megatron as many looks as any WR could hope for I could see Johnson smashing the TD record with a veteran throwing to him.

Julio Jones
This might seem like a little bit of a reach but the era of 'big' guys like Brandon Marshall and Andre Johnson seems to be giving way to guys who can do it all. Guys like Dez Bryant and Julio Jones typify this model. They have elite speed, exceptional ability tracking the ball in the air and can make highlight-reel catches without blinking an eye. I see Julio Jones being the next elite WR in this league. A guy like Jones (or Sammy Watkins when he emerges from college) would be the perfect fit for our offense I think.

RB
There's actually several great guys running around the league now but isn't it funny that a few years ago there was this list of dominant RBs that included the likes of Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice and LeSean McCoy. Behind them were guys who put up amazing seasons like Jamaal Charles, Darren McFadden and Arian Foster. Still, there were other guys who seemed to create a wonderful 2nd-tier of play-makers like Rishard Mendenhall, Ahmad Bradshaw, Michael Turner and DeAngelo Williams. Now, I'm not sure I trust any RB to produce consistently anymore.

Injuries take their tole on some guys (McFadden, Charles, Peterson). Teams adjust to compensate by stacking the box where they can afford it (Johnson, Williams). For others the miles just add up (Turner, Jackson, Gore, Jones-Drew). Today, for a RB to truly make a world of difference they have to be multi-dimensional. Guys like Ray Rice and LeSean McCoy typify that but it certainly matters that they play on teams which utilize their abilities. Teams with scary running attacks aren't built like they used to be.

Where as in the past, running teams were just bigger, stronger and more physical, today's teams utilize their RBs through screens and dump-offs nearly as much if not more. Guys like McCoy and Rice threaten to lead their team in receptions as well as carries. The modern NFL doesn't have any traditional 'running teams' only a small handful of teams which still seem to operate through their elite RBs play-making ability.

DT:

Ndamukong Suh
How do you describe Suh? Well, he's got maybe the most intimidating physical presence I've seen in a defensive player since Ray Lewis. He plays the type of 'angry' football that sometimes crosses some boundaries but never fails to leave you without a pretty good answer to the question of 'Is this guy passionate about what he does?' What's nice about Suh is that he's the ability to collapse the pocket from the interior the way Wilfork does in NE. This interior push cannot be overstated enough in a world that usually assumes elite pass rushers come around the edges. Teaming up Wake and Suh would really leave no pocket at all for the opposing QBs. Talk about a defensive fantasy!

On a side note, maybe the Lions are the team that would give us a 1st round pick for Cameron Wake. Their weakest position is the DE spot opposite Avril and that's what Wake would fill. They'd immediate go from great to maybe best in the league in terms of D-Line performance. They need as much pass rush as possible in that division and they might compete to win that division with Wake. Think about it!

DE:

Jason Pierre-Paul

JPP might be the most freakishly gifted DE in the league. He fits our scheme and is nearly impossible to keep out of the backfield. Maybe playing on the Giants D-line makes him better but man is he fun to watch play football! He's another guy that's so young yet so capable that it's just pure fantasy to imagine what the Dolphins could be with a guy like him over the next decade.

CB:
Patrick Peterson
While Darrelle Revis is still the best in the league, the best young corner in the league might be Peterson. He's got such ability to get his hands on the ball and so much pure instinct for the game it's awesome. As a returner on special teams he's electric but he's still the physical, imposing type of DB you want to have going up against stand-out WRs. For a guy with so much toughness he's outstanding in his athleticism so I'd give the nod to Peterson at CB.

S:
Eric Berry
Until his injury last year, Berry looked to be the guy on track to emerge as the next elite NFL safety. He combined a physical style of play with the speed and play-making ability of the best at his position. If his rehab goes well, he's got all the chance in the world to be the best in 5 years.

So which would I choose? Gun to my head and no time to think I'd go QB and probably pick Andrew Luck because he's got the skills to be elite, work ethic to get there, dedication to stay there, youth to hang around for a long time and finally...he's a QB.

If I had to really think however, guys like Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones and Ndamukong Suh really begin to look even better. Wake's age scares me though and makes me think he won't be elite if and when this team competes for a championship so with no other elite talent on the D-line to help Suh out, I hesitate. Jones isn't just young, he's a WR, a position in today's NFL where multiple young stars emerge every year. While Calvin Johnson is clearly the biggest weapon in the NFL, I'm not sure we wouldn't plateau with our QB just throwing him 15-20 balls a game.

The more I think about it, the more I'd go Luck or Suh. Either one will be functional for over a decade and be the core of his unit. The nod goes to Luck since elite defenses don't seem to be the key to winning championships as much as elite QBs are.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offense give me Calvin Johnson, Defense is either Revis or Aldon Smith.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Aldon Smith.

Please, for the love of GOD take that back.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defensively I'm taking Ryan Kerrigan or JJ Watt. Why? Because I actually wanted Miami to draft them both. Kerrigan leads 3-4 OLBs with 19 sacks, hits and pressures combined...but is actually more suited for his hand on the ground.

JJ Watt? Well we saw what he can do. He is a monster with 6 sacks already and a combined total of 15 combined sacks, hits and pressures. If Ordrick can play 4-3 DE, so could Watt.

Offensively, I'm going to go with Percy Harvin. I'm a bit of a Gator homer but he's leading the league in YAC. 219 yards in 3 games. That's the kind of speed and ball runner skills we need in this offense.

Warpticon wrote:
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't pin point who the top rated OL in the NFL is off the top of my head.

But "No Brainer" it would start there for me.
It's simply not enough to think that it ends at replacing J. Jerry, we have to start looking for Incognito & J. Longs
replacement shortly after as well.

What ever it takes to secure the Oline the next 4 yrs.

sug
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:

It's simply not enough to think that it ends at replacing J. Jerry, we have to start looking for Incognito & J. Longs

sug

You can have ANY player in the league...and you're taking an OL with this roster?

Warpticon wrote:
patdt13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta go with Megatron or Gronk. Our offense would be sickkkkkk.

And Tanny will finally have someone defenses fear to throw the ball too.

#TeamMeowgatron
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
SUG wrote:

sug

You can have ANY player in the league...and you're taking an OL with this roster?

When I look at this Off I am trying to approach it in the same respect as Green Bay.

They don't have these ridiculous Supperstar WRs they have 3 "very good WRs".

They don't have a Reggie Bush they have serviceable short ydg situation RBs.

They invest in Oline after the QB & I feel the same way about it.
I believe that our Off is not nearly in as good a standing as our Deff is all around so I went "meat n potatos".

just my opinion

sug
Miami2DaMax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we not choose a QB and give Tan Tan a chance. =/

I'd probably go Calivn Jonson for Offense and Jared Allen DEF or Revis at CB if 100%.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: