Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is it in the Cowboys best interest to resign Mike Jenkins?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony7188

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Is it in the Cowboys best interest to resign Mike Jenkins? Reply with quote

Been meaning to ask this question earlier in the week but haven't had time too. I know we got my boy Claiborne with 50 million dollar Carr on the team and while I'm not a huge fan of Jenkins, I thought he looked pretty good against Tampa so I started to wonder how much better this defense could actually get. Anybody else knows Dallas has the #1 overall defense, second in pass defense and is the only team who hasn't given up a TD to a WR? Having Jenkins on the team gives Ryan alot of flexibility in his schemes. Jenkins can play outside and probably in the slot and I think I read somewhere that he practiced at safety a bit also. It's still early, but if Mike Jenkins can perform well in this new role on the defense, is it in the Cowboys best interest to try to keep him? Does Scandrick provide too much of a cap hit next year for this to even be possible? Thoughts

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a passing league, you can never have too many corners. But it depends on the price. If it's around Scan's contract - game on. But I have a feeling Mike will want to go out on his own to stake his claim as a full-time-starter elsewhere.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
In a passing league, you can never have too many corners. But it depends on the price. If it's around Scan's contract - game on. But I have a feeling Mike will want to go out on his own to stake his claim as a full-time-starter elsewhere.

If we hadnt resigned Scandrick id be all for it, but that is soooo much money tied up into our cornerbacks if Jenkins is resigned. I just dont see it happening as much as i wish there was a way to do it. Im sure Jerry will resign spencer instead and then spencer will get fat, lazy, and suck.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

If we hadnt resigned Scandrick id be all for it, but that is soooo much money tied up into our cornerbacks if Jenkins is resigned. I just dont see it happening as much as i wish there was a way to do it. Im sure Jerry will resign spencer instead and then spencer will get fat, lazy, and suck.

I have two conjectures.

1. Scan is more valuable than Jenkins.
That doesn't mean he is a better CB in the typical sense, but I feel Scan plays the slot better than Jenkins. Jenkins has more versatility as a DB, though. Further, Scan adds greater value as a ST player.

2. If Spencer plays like he is, he absolutely deserves to be re-signed.
Now, you fear is value. He could suck after getting the contract. But this is the Spencer that we have needed to play. Before everyone jumps down my throat - I would not give him an all-pro deal (which I am sure he will be looking for). So there is a very good chance that Spencer walks and gets a handsome deal elsewhere. But it is not out of the realm to consider him staying - and if he can play at the level he is it would be a welcome site to see him stay. I have my doubts, though. And my preference is to see him walk.

In Redball I Trust!
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will more big dollars going to a CB impact our ability to upgrade the OL? As much as you need as many cover CB's as you can have, can we afford to tie up more $ at the position?

I agree though that Jenkins will want starter money that the Boys simply won't be able to afford given other needs.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Will more big dollars going to a CB impact our ability to upgrade the OL? As much as you need as many cover CB's as you can have, can we afford to tie up more $ at the position?

I agree though that Jenkins will want starter money that the Boys simply won't be able to afford given other needs.

Aside from Andy Levitre (whom I firmly believe the Bills will re-sign) I cannot think of a single FA OG that will be worth any sort of market-value money during FA.

In Redball I Trust!
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Northland wrote:

Aside from Andy Levitre (whom I firmly believe the Bills will re-sign) I cannot think of a single FA OG that will be worth any sort of market-value money during FA.

Not the news I wanted to hear but maybe the landscape changes between now and free agency 2013.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could always give Andre Smith a look and convert him to guard should Cincinnati happen to let him walk (which I doubt happens).

^^^Deadpulse
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's re-sign. "Resign" is to quit one's job or give up.

Anyway, cap-wise, it wouldn't be a wise move for the Boys to re-sign Jenkins. They have 3 CBs signed long-term with 1 making big money (Carr) and a second making better-than-average coin for a nickel CB (Scandrick). The Boys also have other holes and needs to which they need to allocate salary cap space.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best interest to re-sign him if the price is right.

If he's looking for starter money, he's gone, and with good reason. You don't need your third corner making as much as the guy first on your depth chart - even if that third corner, some could say, is even more valuable than your primary.

(Not that Jenkins is better than Carr or Claiborne, but that nickel corner is immensely valuable in today's league)

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Jenkins can make Carr, Finnigan(sp) type money from a team that is desperate. He knows this. He is gone. Yes it is in the Cowboys best interest to re-sign him, but it is not in Jenkins best interest. He is gone.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really love to resign Jenkins. He is a great player, even last week so short after his injury I really noticed him having some very tight man coverage. he would be a great guy to have on the team if a starter goes down with an injury, since my trust in Scandrick on the outside is limited.

- but with that said, I'm sure Jenkins wants to be the starter, and he can get more money meanwhile other places. Our chances of keeping him is very limited unless we overpaid more then reasonble. would rather sign a FA corner who also has good experience on the outside, or draft someone in the middle rounds.

Hopefully, the money is going to be used on resigning Spencer instead. I think that Spencer is a bigger part of the success of our D then people realize.
the lone star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in our best interest as far as talent is concerned, but financially it might not make sense.

It's a tough call. I say re-sign him, but only after we resolve the Spencer issue. Since he's a free agent too, that OLB spot is gonna be a more pressing concern.

Ideally, we can keep both guys and cut some dead weight. It's definitely more complicated than that though. So many other issues to resolve.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
I would really love to resign Jenkins. He is a great player, even last week so short after his injury I really noticed him having some very tight man coverage. he would be a great guy to have on the team if a starter goes down with an injury, since my trust in Scandrick on the outside is limited.

- but with that said, I'm sure Jenkins wants to be the starter, and he can get more money meanwhile other places. Our chances of keeping him is very limited unless we overpaid more then reasonble. would rather sign a FA corner who also has good experience on the outside, or draft someone in the middle rounds.

Hopefully, the money is going to be used on resigning Spencer instead. I think that Spencer is a bigger part of the success of our D then people realize.

He speaks the truth. He did mess up on that TD reception in Seattle, but so did basically everybody else behind him. Other than that, he's been good.

I wouldn't mind keeping him and then drafting either OL or DL. Preferably OL. That line is just god awful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:

He speaks the truth. He did mess up on that TD reception in Seattle, but so did basically everybody else behind him. Other than that, he's been good.

I wouldn't mind keeping him and then drafting either OL or DL. Preferably OL. That line is just god awful.

Either Spencer or Jenkins gets re-signed, not both. Whoever doesn't get signed we will have to draft someone to replace them. To replace our starting OLB in a 3-4 we would have to draft in the first round or maybe second. To replace our third outside corner we could wait till the 5th-7th rounds. So it makes most sense to re-sign Spencer and draft a corner with one of our late round picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: