Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers Ryan Mundy fined $21,000 for hit on Darrius Heyward
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Steelers are officially Public Enemy No. 3 behind the Patriots and the Replacement Refs.

Are you sure we are only in the running for the bronze in this case? Question Question Laughing

Thanks Lyasr 529
macklemore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
stillersenat wrote:
lionslicer wrote:
The Steelers as a team are a repeat offender, but this is the first time Mundy has gotten into this type of trouble.

And what is that supposed to mean?

Why even ask. You know what it means. We're not in Forum 31 right now. The Steelers are officially Public Enemy No. 3 behind the Patriots and the Replacement Refs.

And for good reason, the steelers defenders go out and try to injure people. I'm all for big hits, but leading with your head is very dangerous, DHB wasn't the only person Ryan Mundy concussed last week, Brandon Myers suffered one as well. Mundy deserves a suspension, he plays with no regard to human safety.

Also in that video Totty posted it appears Ryan Mundy concussed William Gay and Johnnie Lee Higgins in one drive, what a POS.
RaiderFanSD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Raiders fan.. I don't think Mundy deserved to get fined.. it really didn't seem like he intentionally tried to hurt him. And if you saw Mundy on the sideline he truly looked worried about DHB.

And I find it funny people will support a hit like Golden Tate's on a player not even in the play but make such a big deal about something like this in which Mundy HAD to do something to break the ball up. If Lee had been sent to the hospital people would be singing a different tune.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderFanSD wrote:
As a Raiders fan.. I don't think Mundy deserved to get fined.. it really didn't seem like he intentionally tried to hurt him. And if you saw Mundy on the sideline he truly looked worried about DHB.

I agree. Thats a hit that 99% of NFL DB's would have made. I think this fine is too much. You need to base the fine on the act, not the result. You could make a perfectly legal tackle and severely injure someone, doesn't mean you should be fined for it (not saying thats the case here).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'm going to comment on this just one time and just watch other people's responses. I'm not going to retort because I have a feeling that people are going to let their emotions get the best of them rather than logic in regards to my post...

I am very sorry for what happened to Heyward-Bey. As I saw it live I thought he was ok, but then as I saw his body hit the ground I realized he was a.) Unconscious when he hit the ground and b.) probably knocked unconscious prior to landing. However, prior to that at no point did I think it was a malicious or truly violent hit akin to ones I had even seen that day. However, due to the end result I feel that people think there deserves a suspension as opposed to the actual hit. Which I can understand. I simply don't agree with it.

http://postimage.org/image/vypn6syuf/

Right there Mundy can be seen extending his arms to try and make the hit. In fact, one arm looks to be in front of Heyward-Bey while the other appears to be behind him. Mundy's helmet doesn't appear to be lowered yet either. At first this all looks to be - suprisingly - a decent form tackle from Mundy.

http://postimage.org/image/u1sx2886f/

At the point of impact Mundy's facemask is in DHB's chest... Now in order to not cause a stir I'll say his head is lowered there. Unfortunately the crown of his helmet makes contact with DHB's chin resulting in whiplash, a potential concussion, etc. However, let's be honest... Mundy isn't good enough in a game that goes this fast to purposely attempt to hit DHB's chest to avoid a punishment. He was simply trying to dislodge the ball which I have absolutely no issue with regardless of team. And it appears he attempted to do good. But because DHB is falling and Mundy is crappily trying to recover they collide at fast speeds and part of Mundy's helmet unfortunately hits DHB's chin causing the incident. Very unfortunately we got that ugly result.

However, clearly this is more of a result of Mundy's actual inability to do his job as opposed to Mundy attempting to hit DHB in the head or inflict pain. Mundy doesn't launch and he doesn't aim for the head. However, he DOES make contact with the head and technically speaking a falling DHB is an unprotected receiver(or whatever the term is called). So I have no issue with a flag. Nor do I have an issue with the fine because they're both against the rules.

However, my issue is with the rule itself that receivers are protected thus hampering defenses. However, when stuff like this happens you can see why they have the defenseless receiver rule. But as a defender what are you to do? Well I guess you could not suck like Mundy. But then if you're not good it's an instant TD for the offense. I don't know, basically I have no issue with the fine and if there would have been a flag but I do take issue with people saying he is dirty, etc... It was more a result of his ineptitude than anything and calling for a suspension based on the result is not smart to me.

Good post. He deserves a fine but not a suspension. He should have gotten a flag on the play. I thought at real time it was a good play but obviously he did contact him in the head. However, it was not a malicious or intentional hit as some think it was. Some of the overreaction is overboard. He never launched himself. Some are viewing the end result which was DHB being carted off the field which was indeed a scary picture. It wasn't like the bad hits, in comparison, we've seen from Dunta Robinson or Brandon Merriweather where they head hunted.

Hopefully DHB will get back on the field soon.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deserved a big suspension

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
stillersenat wrote:
lionslicer wrote:
The Steelers as a team are a repeat offender, but this is the first time Mundy has gotten into this type of trouble.

And what is that supposed to mean?

Why even ask. You know what it means. We're not in Forum 31 right now. The Steelers are officially Public Enemy No. 3 behind the Patriots and the Replacement Refs.

And for good reason, the steelers defenders go out and try to injure people. I'm all for big hits, but leading with your head is very dangerous, DHB wasn't the only person Ryan Mundy concussed last week, Brandon Myers suffered one as well. Mundy deserves a suspension, he plays with no regard to human safety.

Also in that video Totty posted it appears Ryan Mundy concussed William Gay and Johnnie Lee Higgins in one drive, what a POS.

You are utterly clueless and making up nonsense.

Take James Harrison away and we dont have much more illegal hits than most other teams. And most of his are a result of poor form rather than intending to injure.

And every single one of those by Mundy is just a result of not keeping his head up. William Gay...they were both going down and he put his head down. Higgins....all Mundy did was run straight forward....only reasons their helmets even hit was because Higgins was coming down at the exact time Mundy got there.

Call Mundy a horrible tackler and poor player...because he is.

But a POS? No regard for human life?

Obvious troll is obvious.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
klyon7634

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

i dont get how mays gets suspended but Mundy doesnt

Seahawks~ Yankees~ Knicks~ Syracuse Orange

#JDI
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

No...it really didnt.

And I could care less. Kick Mundy out of the league for all I care.

But for that...no.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klyon7634 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Pretty sure Mays is a repeat offender.

If not...then I dont know. If he isnt a repeat offender, I agree the penalties shouldve been the same. Either 21.000 for Mays or 50000 and a game for Mundy, just to keep it fair.

simonwayne wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think $21000 is a tad low, but judging from the Steelers fans on here it was his first offense.

Hopefully having the real refs back will discourage that type of hitting, though.

GaTechRavens wrote:
PREDICTED RECORD: 2-14...a total clown show. It's okay, as Oakland's rebuilding period will soon be water under the bridge.
Cool
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
klyon7634 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Pretty sure Mays is a repeat offender.

If not...then I dont know. If he isnt a repeat offender, I agree the penalties shouldve been the same. Either 21.000 for Mays or 50000 and a game for Mundy, just to keep it fair.

He was, and in consecutive weeks to boot. Typically the NFL doesn't issue a suspension until after a player has been fined twice, however typically the incidences which draw the fines are spaced further apart. Given that Mays had just been fined the previous week for an unnecessary roughness/player-safety-related incident, I'm sure that gave the NFl what they felt was due course to expedite the suspension and forego the "second warning" (fine).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
I think $21000 is a tad low, but judging from the Steelers fans on here it was his first offense.

Hopefully having the real refs back will discourage that type of hitting, though.

Its not even so much that its his first offense either, as much as it is that it wasnt a obviously malicious hit.

Its hard to proven intent, but Mundy just uses terrible form, as he usually does. If you want to suspend him because he doesnt know how to tackle, I am all for that. But people are acting like this was definitely malicious or intentional. Can I say it definitely WASNT? No, but no one can definitely say it was either. And that being the case, its a protocol standard fine for a first time offense.

simonwayne wrote:
Bobikus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klyon7634 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Mundy stuck his arms out but just has poor form and collided head on while Mays just straight up made no attempt to make contact with anything but the crown of his helmet.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
klyon7634 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Mundy stuck his arms out but just has poor form and collided head on while Mays just straight up made no attempt to make contact with anything but the crown of his helmet.

Plus it was not Mays first offense.

simonwayne wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: