Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency Thread - V 3.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, if Branch doesnt take a pay cut we should just release him. (assuming we cant trade his contract)

He counts 10.9 mill against the cap but if we released him we would only be on the hook for 4.2mill dead money. That free's up 6.7mill Shocked Not sure why his deal was so awful.

We could easily sign two starters for that money. Pick up a George Wilson type player to bridge the gap for a drafted guy. He has been just as productive if not more than Branch. There are other guys also that could bridge the gap. Also give Mitchell his last year to prove he could be that guy.

I like Branch's potential but not for an 11million cap hit.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Heck, if Branch doesnt take a pay cut we should just release him. (assuming we cant trade his contract)

He counts 10.9 mill against the cap but if we released him we would only be on the hook for 4.2mill dead money. That free's up 6.7mill Shocked Not sure why his deal was so awful.

We could easily sign two starters for that money. Pick up a George Wilson type player to bridge the gap for a drafted guy. He has been just as productive if not more than Branch. There are other guys also that could bridge the gap. Also give Mitchell his last year to prove he could be that guy.

I think Branch's 3.5M roster bonus is guaranteed so we'd be on the hook for that as well. I agree he isn't worth that much. He's not making enough plays to justify that salary. 4 interceptions in 5 years.
101Raider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:

Jesus, I like Branch quite abit but that's just ridiculous. 10.9 Million? What the hell?
101Raider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of looking at our continuous cap problems. I'm almost at the point where I believe we'd be better off just cutting/trading off EVERYBODY and starting from scratch. Somebody mentioned how we should have done it last year-I'm inclined to agree.

Burn this roster to the ground, and start fresh. Trade the #3 for as many picks this year and next. The value is in the 2nd/3rd round this year and the talent next year is undeniably better. Use this draft to get a roster of quality starters/depth and draft talent next year.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

I think Branch's 3.5M roster bonus is guaranteed so we'd be on the hook for that as well. I agree he isn't worth that much. He's not making enough plays to justify that salary. 4 interceptions in 5 years.

I wonder if that goes against future years. This site is probably wrong but shows dead money this year as 4.2mill

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/cap-hit/
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101Raider wrote:
Honestly, I'm sick and tired of looking at our continuous cap problems. I'm almost at the point where I believe we'd be better off just cutting/trading off EVERYBODY and starting from scratch. Somebody mentioned how we should have done it last year-I'm inclined to agree.

Burn this roster to the ground, and start fresh. Trade the #3 for as many picks this year and next. The value is in the 2nd/3rd round this year and the talent next year is undeniably better. Use this draft to get a roster of quality starters/depth and draft talent next year.

I think we will likely only have one or two bad contracts left after this season depending on what they do with Branch and Huff. Although the way they structured the Branch contract post AD leaves me wondering.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just disappointed our first big contract under the new regime (Branch) was a bust. IMO, he's got to go. He severely lacks discipline when attacking the ball and couldn't cover me majority of the time.

PM sig requests.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

I wonder if that goes against future years. This site is probably wrong but shows dead money this year as 4.2mill

This site never reported the roster bonus to be guaranteed. Rotoworld does.

Quote:
7/14/2012: Signed a four-year, $26.6 million contract. The deal contains $17.6 million guaranteed, including a $5.6 million signing bonus, Branch's first-year base salary, and his $3.5 million roster bonus in the second year. Another $1 million is available through incentives based on annual Pro Bowl berths. 2013: $6 million (+ $3.5 million roster bonus due in March), 2014: $3 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due in March), 2015: $5.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due in March), 2016: Free Agent

Can't tell you which one is right.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Although the way they structured the Branch contract post AD leaves me wondering.

Yeah, especially when you look at the contract Thomas Decoud got last year to re-sign with the Falcons. I understand it's a bit more enticing to re-sign with them than the Raiders but still.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/thomas-decoud/
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
Although the way they structured the Branch contract post AD leaves me wondering.

Yeah, especially when you look at the contract Thomas Decoud got last year to re-sign with the Falcons. I understand it's a bit more enticing to re-sign with them than the Raiders but still.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/thomas-decoud/

When he signed that, I was saying that's the contract that Branch's should mimic. DeCoud had a pretty darn good season though...

PM sig requests.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

This site never reported the roster bonus to be guaranteed. Rotoworld does.

Quote:
7/14/2012: Signed a four-year, $26.6 million contract. The deal contains $17.6 million guaranteed, including a $5.6 million signing bonus, Branch's first-year base salary, and his $3.5 million roster bonus in the second year. Another $1 million is available through incentives based on annual Pro Bowl berths. 2013: $6 million (+ $3.5 million roster bonus due in March), 2014: $3 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due in March), 2015: $5.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due in March), 2016: Free Agent

Can't tell you which one is right.

I see. So he would have to be post June 1st cut then to spread it out over two years. Still makes his deal easier to swallow the dead money than Huffs. But I would think Huff is more likely to restructure or setup a new deal.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish we could move Branch because him taking a paycut a year after signing that deal is very unlikely. We're pretty much stuck with that contract though. The team needs to improve its depth if they can't move or cut some of their overpaid starters. Giordano won't be back and Mitchell is also a free agent.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
dmac505

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
I'm just disappointed our first big contract under the new regime (Branch) was a bust. IMO, he's got to go. He severely lacks discipline when attacking the ball and couldn't cover me majority of the time.

+1.. ill give you props you called this early.

I dont know what happened after his rookie season, showed lots of promise but hasnt done much since.

sucks that RMC to big money moves (branch and brisel) havent looked good so far.
bitty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Davis cap guy must have been the dumbest person on the planet
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac505 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

+1.. ill give you props you called this early.

I dont know what happened after his rookie season, showed lots of promise but hasnt done much since.

sucks that RMC to big money moves (branch and brisel) havent looked good so far.

He just regressed and regressed and regressed. I remember one time I was talking about him taking bad angles this season and everyone hated on me. Only JTagg had my back on that one

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 45 of 79

Jump to: