Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Miami vs Arizona Week-4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the game as the Cards are my fave NFC team...Seriously, you guys have a lot to be proud about this game. You out-coached & outplayed them for over 45 minutes on both sides of the ball. Tannehill is going to be one heck of a QB for you guys...actually already is impressive (and I was a hater during the draft) - wish we had our QB of the future! Your OL played terrific for most of the game against a very good, aggressive defense. I was in the Cards GDT, they were frustrated at their inability to get to Tannehill or stop your run! I have no idea where Bess & Hartline have been hiding - they had monster games that I would have never thought they were capable of! You guys deserved the win, it just didn't fall into place for some reason.

Now, looking ahead to the Bills-Dolphins games...I'm concerned. I had thought we would handily sweep you guys and it sure doesn't look like that will happen...might even be the opposite now. Gotta lot of respect for your team that I didn't have before. Things will fall into place for you guys. Just be patient.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
This is the first game where I really saw change from the Dolphins. I saw growth today. That's nearly as good as a win, to me.

I couldn't agree more. Like you, I have been very hard on the Dolphins and pessimistic about the future. But if there's such a thing as a great loss, today was it. I could not be more satisfied with how we played. For the first time in several years I can confidently say that the Miami Dolphins got better today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way, it could almost be a blessing in disguise. You think there's another team in the league hungrier for a win than the Dolphins right now?
patdt13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
In a way, it could almost be a blessing in disguise. You think there's another team in the league hungrier for a win than the Dolphins right now?

The Saints.

Xbox Live GT: With The Tide
Fender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
I can't agree with the thinking that says we didn't play against a good defense today because of the production of a rookie. Every team they have beaten thus far, i consider playoff caliber.

Thanks for adding some substance. Im not sure where you got the idea that I consider Arizona's defense not good. To me they were good/decent/above average but not 'great' - and with Dockett inactive worse. The defense you saw today was not the same defense that defeated NE or Philly, rest assured of that. I've already stated the improvements are encouraging, but consistency is key. I grew up watching Marino so 400+ yards means nothing to me - clutch TDs and firstdowns do, not mega yards + INTs and fumbles.

Believe me I want Tannehill to be the next great QB at Miami, but lets not take 1 game against and overrated D (that he didnt win) and crown him our franchise just yet.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
I can't agree with the thinking that says we didn't play against a good defense today because of the production of a rookie. Every team they have beaten thus far, i consider playoff caliber.

Thanks for adding some substance. Im not sure where you got the idea that I consider Arizona's defense not good. To me they were good/decent/above average but not 'great' - and with Dockett inactive worse. The defense you saw today was not the same defense that defeated NE or Philly, rest assured of that. I've already stated the improvements are encouraging, but consistency is key. I grew up watching Marino so 400+ yards means nothing to me - clutch TDs and firstdowns do, not mega yards + INTs and fumbles.

Believe me I want Tannehill to be the next great QB at Miami, but lets not take 1 game against and overrated D (that he didnt win) and crown him our franchise just yet.

Tannehill had at least 4 clutch 1st downs, probably more, I'm not sure of his 3rd down numbers. He also had a go-ahead TD in the 4th quarter.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to point this out because it sounds like a trite "silver lining" type of thing, but I honestly think having Bess and Hartline as RT17's main WRs is very good for his development.

Both WRs have good hands, limited height, and limited speed. Neither of them absolutely dominates whoever covers them the way a top shelf WR would. There is no "throw up and they'll get it", or "five yards of separation". These two are solid middle of the road talents who are forcing our young QB to be precise. Thankfully he's been up to the challenge and I believe in the long run he'll be better off for it.

I'm optimistic about our improvement. I'm optimistic that we can hang with (or should have won against) quality opponents like the Jets and Cards. But most of all I'm optimistic because the culture change that Philbin is instilling seems to be working.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:

Most of us knew from the preseason that Tannehill had the foundations to build an elite skill set. He flows with the pocket and makes solid decisions under a collapsing pocket (for the most part) his comfort level is growing to the point where the staff is installing more plays as the weeks go on. He's recognizing blitzes, changing coverages and he's no longer staring down receivers. He's been a victim of drops in all 4 games. Long story short he is ahead of schedule, and I'm not using one game to come to that conclusion. When we give him that receiver and linemen that actually fit the scheme we will be OK offensively.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
phinmun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
I hate to point this out because it sounds like a trite "silver lining" type of thing, but I honestly think having Bess and Hartline as RT17's main WRs is very good for his development.

Both WRs have good hands, limited height, and limited speed. Neither of them absolutely dominates whoever covers them the way a top shelf WR would. There is no "throw up and they'll get it", or "five yards of separation". These two are solid middle of the road talents who are forcing our young QB to be precise. Thankfully he's been up to the challenge and I believe in the long run he'll be better off for it.

I'm optimistic about our improvement. I'm optimistic that we can hang with (or should have won against) quality opponents like the Jets and Cards. But most of all I'm optimistic because the culture change that Philbin is instilling seems to be working.

I'm glad someone else is on board with that or at least sort of thinking there's a positive there. I said before that losing Brandon Marshall wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Tannehill's development. Nobody seemed to see what I was saying or the point I was trying to get at but you have restated it here.

I don't see any reason to think Matt Stafford is an amazing QB for example. Throwing to Calvin Johnson 15 times a game and never having to worry about the ball being intercepted is a huge crutch that no great QB I'm aware of has ever had in his developmental years.

While there have been great QBs who played with great WRs, no combination worked because 1 guy was doing all the work. The positive thing from this season could be that Tannehill learns to trust his receivers and to put the ball in places where only his guys can make the play.

The disappointing thing is that we only have 2 guys who are consistent targets for Tannehill. Today, it cost us. We could've really used a little extra help late in the game. The difference for us this year will be that unless certain guys play really well and keep us in the game, we'll look bad.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I am a slight optimist, but through 4 games it's pretty easy to see what the Fins need to become playoff contenders.

1. 2 more receivers. I'm on board with a free agent WR as either a gamechanger like Jennings, or a guy that can fit as a high end 3 or 4. The other can be a rookie, either a potential number 1, or a 4th guy depending on the FA.

2. Starting caliber CB, whether that is a draft pick or a free agent. Smith is playing VERY well, he has room to grow, but he definitely has shown me enough to lock him up. Marshall is good in the nickel, but struggles on the outside. I think Carroll is fine as a dime.

3. A LG. I love Richie Incognito, one of my favorite players, but he is a liability right now in this scheme. I don't mind keeping him, or even trying him at LG (though I like what I see from Jerry).

4. Pass rusher. I like our pass rush today, and we have the pieces to have a formidable unit, but I like the idea of drafting one in the first 2 or 3 rounds every year. Vernon has flashed some, Shelby looked good today, Wake is a freak, and Odrick is more of a 2 down player at end, and then go to DT.

5. Development from the young guys. If Tannehill is the guy, and he hasn't shown any reason to say he isn't, then he will make guys like Clay and Egnew better.

6. Resign Smith, Long (I know I may be in the minority, but he is such a safety net for Tannehill, plus a team leader), Hartline, and Bush.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Deets

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like an elite tight end or receiver. Some kind of elite talent who is bigger and stronger then cornerbacks and has awesome hands.

FF Member #67
SUG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
I'd like an elite tight end or receiver. Some kind of elite talent who is bigger and stronger then cornerbacks and has awesome hands.

I can easily see an OLB as our 1st overall pk but I would have no problem with a TE either.
Philbin can go out & target guys like Gregg Jennings in the 2nd - 3rd & 4th rnd all day long IMO.

I agree, a Playmaking TE in this Offense seems to be a bit more of a commodity.

sug
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still do not know what the issue is in pass coverage. I swear the Fins get pressure. I know it is difficult to cover receivers in the NFL with all the rules but it just seems there are openings everywhere. Perhaps the FIns need a safety that can cover a lot more field. I dont know but I know noone is running on that defense. My gosh Solai be holding it down in that middle. They have to try and keep Starks. That defensive front is legit. They just need some complementary edge rusher pieces to give fits to offenses more consistently.

Miami's offensive line is still too big to run the sort of offense Sherman and Philbin want. Our guards are not mobile enough. Its laughable to see Miami attempt a screen pass.

I am not sure how they can stomach drafting another tightend next year but they need one.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
I still do not know what the issue is in pass coverage. I swear the Fins get pressure. I know it is difficult to cover receivers in the NFL with all the rules but it just seems there are openings everywhere. Perhaps the FIns need a safety that can cover a lot more field. I dont know but I know noone is running on that defense. My gosh Solai be holding it down in that middle. They have to try and keep Starks. That defensive front is legit. They just need some complementary edge rusher pieces to give fits to offenses more consistently.

Miami's offensive line is still too big to run the sort of offense Sherman and Philbin want. Our guards are not mobile enough. Its laughable to see Miami attempt a screen pass.

I am not sure how they can stomach drafting another tightend next year but they need one.

The front seven have been very good all year and had a nice breakout game in the pass rush, unfortunately is not enough to help the poor play by most of the DB's....I still think the Phins need to address CB, S and TE before WR...seeing what a player like Revis means to the Jets or what Gronk can do for the Pats....makes you wonder what can be....
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Dolphins team, if they draft well, is 1-2 years away from being a legitimate contender in the AFC. No doubt in my mind you're on your way. Tannehill in that passing offense can be special. Good luck the rest of the way guys.

Only thing I will say is be careful how much you pay Jake Long. I thought he was terrible yesterday, personally. Not much push in the game aside from 2 plays that I remember well and he got burned 7-8 times off the edge. The Sam Acho sack, I actually felt bad for him. He didn't have a chance. If he's gonna want 30-40 million guaranteed I'd honestly let him walk.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: