Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos LB Mays suspended for helmet-to-helmet hit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
1 game is rather lenient considering the fact that he could have ended Schaub's career.

A vicious hit that shows intent should warrant at least a 3 games suspension so it can hit home. I have a feeling this won't be the last time we hear from thunder stick Mays this season.

ok lets calm down. it wasnt that viscous of a hit.

I agree. I used to go to Eagles training camp and we would just love watching Joe Mays. He would light up everybody. He isn't doing it to kill people, he just plays hard and hits hard.

I'm kind of shocked he got suspended. I think guys who have been fined more than once should be the ones getting suspended.

UniversalAuthor
Keleth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
eagles101, agles101 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
1 game is rather lenient considering the fact that he, could have ended Schaub's career.

A vicious hit that shows intent should warrant at least a 3 games suspension so it can hit home. I have a feeling this won't be the last time we hear from thunder stick Mays this season.

Are you kidding. Mays was going full steam and launched right up into Schaub's helmet.

Try watching your QB get mauled like that and then stay calm about it.

i know what happend but there has a lot worse of hits. to say it was a possible career ender is going over the line. i mean every hit can cause a career ending play...but that hit wasnt even close to being more of a career ender then any other. i mean the dude came back to play in the game.

What you're forgetting is the intent factor. We're not just talking about a bang bang play here. Mays was clearly trying to take Schaub out of the game and the fact that Schaub came back in speaks volumes about his toughness, but that doesn't mean Mays should get by with just a slap on the wrist.

IMO, 1 game is not going to deter this from happening again. The NFL needs to set a precedent or malicious hits like that (with clear intent) are just going to get worse.

i dont think the intent is really there. it wasnt extremely late and it didnt look like a head hunt to me. it was penalty worthy and border line suspension...this is not as egregious as your making it out to be. i do think he meant hit him hard but i dont think he intended on hitting him in the head to take him out.

I've only seen this play from the gif someone has on p1 of this thread.
I would however say that hit looks absolutely full of intent and in no way looks like a tackle.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytrajik wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
1 game is rather lenient considering the fact that he could have ended Schaub's career.

Are you kidding. Mays was going full steam and launched right up into Schaub's helmet.

Ok calm down. He is an Eagles fan and watched Vick get twirled right into another helmet. He did watch his QB get lit up.

You are overreacting a bit here. yes he lit up Schuab but He isn't the only QB that has taken a shot. It's not like he was knocked out cold and sent to the hospital like Heyward Bey. Schuab got cleaned up and returned to the game.

Schuab won't even miss a game and it was a "horrible" hit. Yes it was a nasty hit, but you are acting like it was 30 seconds after he threw it. One step sooner and we are talking about schuab got lit up on a sack.

UniversalAuthor
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the hit I immediately thought he needed to be suspended. What a joke of a play.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
eagles101, agles101 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
1 game is rather lenient considering the fact that he, could have ended Schaub's career.

i know what happend but there has a lot worse of hits. to say it was a possible career ender is going over the line. i mean every hit can cause a career ending play...but that hit wasnt even close to being more of a career ender then any other. i mean the dude came back to play in the game.

What you're forgetting is the intent factor. We're not just talking about a bang bang play here. Mays was clearly trying to take Schaub out of the game and the fact that Schaub came back in speaks volumes about his toughness, but that doesn't mean Mays should get by with just a slap on the wrist.

IMO, 1 game is not going to deter this from happening again. The NFL needs to set a precedent or malicious hits like that (with clear intent) are just going to get worse.

i dont think the intent is really there. it wasnt extremely late and it didnt look like a head hunt to me. it was penalty worthy and border line suspension...this is not as egregious as your making it out to be. i do think he meant hit him hard but i dont think he intended on hitting him in the head to take him out.

I've only seen this play from the gif someone has on p1 of this thread.
I would however say that hit looks absolutely full of intent and in no way looks like a tackle.

again i would like to state im not defending the hit...im saying the hit isnt an atrocious hit. i would put it under an illegal hit. it wasnt a massive devastating hit. i mean im all for the rules and know that it was an illegal hit, i just dont feel he went out thinking "im going to bash him right in the chops with this one." i dont think it was worth a suspension but completely understand the suspension. i was stating to the fact that this wasnt a "career ender" of a hit.

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
dbtb135

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:

Ok calm down. He is an Eagles fan and watched Vick get twirled right into another helmet. He did watch his QB get lit up.

You are overreacting a bit here. yes he lit up Schuab but He isn't the only QB that has taken a shot. It's not like he was knocked out cold and sent to the hospital like Heyward Bey. Schuab got cleaned up and returned to the game.

Schuab won't even miss a game and it was a "horrible" hit. Yes it was a nasty hit, but you are acting like it was 30 seconds after he threw it. One step sooner and we are talking about schuab got lit up on a sack.

You think that's not a hit worthy of fine and penalty at the very least ifShaub holds onto the ball? Just a run of the mill sack...with his head. Laughing
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue with it. I think that deserved a suspension.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a better angle.

Shows a clear lack of intent to do anything but try and light Schaub's head up.

Deep roots are not reached by the frost
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ He doesn't even attempt to wrap his arms to make a tackle.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Problem is the guy doesn't know how to tackle correctly. It was a pretty dumb play and he deserved a suspension, but there wasn't malicious intent.

If he wanted to end Schaub's career he could have shoved him high or clothes lined him, which he did neither. Not attempting a wrap up tackle =/= intent to injure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Problem is the guy doesn't know how to tackle correctly. It was a pretty dumb play and he deserved a suspension, but there wasn't malicious intent.

If he wanted to end Schaub's career he could have shoved him high or clothes lined him, which he did neither. Not attempting a wrap up tackle =/= intent to injure.

I'm sorry, but that's a joke. If he wanted to end Shaub's career, he would have shoved him high? Thank God he only ran helmet-first into Shaub's chin....
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe intent to "light someone up" doesn't mean intent to injure, but quite often they overlap. His hit was one of the most intentionally dangerous I have ever seen.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial judgement of the play was definitely wrong. He was clearly going in to light him up and it was vicious. Deserves what he got. BUT I don't think anyone really has the right to come at Mays as if he was purposely trying to injure Schaub. How are you gonna say what his intent is? Mays head is down before the ball is released and if he gets there less than a second sooner that is a fumble and a game changer. But yeah I mean he was going for a big, highlight hit. So I guess if you have a problem with that, then you have a problem with Mays. I personally miss those days, but that is just me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the angle of the gif doesnt really show how hard/where he hit him, so its hard to make an assessment at least for me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also.....this play was almost the dopest catch by Andre Johnson. If he caught that this would have been like one of the craziest plays ever. I was literally jumping all over the living room on this play. Like just from confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: