Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos LB Mays suspended for helmet-to-helmet hit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9093
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
i thought it was an illegal hit but not suspension worthy. looked more like he tried to hit him in the shoulder but he moved right before the hit, not trying to excuse it but it does seem suspension worthy.


99 times out of 100 you can't tell intent. However, this may be the one time you can tell that a guy simply wanted to inflict pain and nothing more.


i really dont think its that obvious what he wanted to do there. i mean half an inch the other way and its not a penalty. im not trying to debate it was a penalty or not but a suspension seems a bit much...unless he has a long history of this.

but anyone got a if or a link to the DHB hit?


The league said because he got a RTP against Matt Ryan 2 weeks ago it factored into their call.


was thinking more of a james harrison type history.
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 24418
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
i thought it was an illegal hit but not suspension worthy. looked more like he tried to hit him in the shoulder but he moved right before the hit, not trying to excuse it but it does seem suspension worthy.


99 times out of 100 you can't tell intent. However, this may be the one time you can tell that a guy simply wanted to inflict pain and nothing more.


i really dont think its that obvious what he wanted to do there. i mean half an inch the other way and its not a penalty. im not trying to debate it was a penalty or not but a suspension seems a bit much...unless he has a long history of this.

but anyone got a if or a link to the DHB hit?


The league said because he got a RTP against Matt Ryan 2 weeks ago it factored into their call.


was thinking more of a james harrison type history.

James Harrison's record though at least reflected going a couple of weeks between incidents. When you're coming only 4 days removed from receiving the FedEx envelop from the League Office fining you for something and then you go right back out and repeat the action in the immediately following game, the timing is going to significantly factor into the decision.

That said, the thing to note from the video, it's quite visible that Mays lowers his head to use the crown of his helmet prior to impact. This would have been excusable if the guy made any attempt to wrap and tackle, but he didn't. Lowering the head like that is counterproductive to any attempt to bat the ball (because you can't see it to do it) and doesn't hurt his case that his intent wasn't to ring Schaub's bell.

Given the timing and that they're seeing a pattern developing and want to nip it in the bud before, presumably from the pattern, Mays goes out there and goes helmet-to-helmet on Carson Palmer (the next QB on Denver's schedule), they're trying to nip it in the bud by exerting a harsher punishment than normal. This could well be an instance where the precedent of how other players have been punished in the past isn't as relevant because the league can cite the back-to-back weeks argument and have a legitimate case for denying the appeal.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9093
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
i thought it was an illegal hit but not suspension worthy. looked more like he tried to hit him in the shoulder but he moved right before the hit, not trying to excuse it but it does seem suspension worthy.


99 times out of 100 you can't tell intent. However, this may be the one time you can tell that a guy simply wanted to inflict pain and nothing more.


i really dont think its that obvious what he wanted to do there. i mean half an inch the other way and its not a penalty. im not trying to debate it was a penalty or not but a suspension seems a bit much...unless he has a long history of this.

but anyone got a if or a link to the DHB hit?


The league said because he got a RTP against Matt Ryan 2 weeks ago it factored into their call.


was thinking more of a james harrison type history.

James Harrison's record though at least reflected going a couple of weeks between incidents. When you're coming only 4 days removed from receiving the FedEx envelop from the League Office fining you for something and then you go right back out and repeat the action in the immediately following game, the timing is going to significantly factor into the decision.

That said, the thing to note from the video, it's quite visible that Mays lowers his head to use the crown of his helmet prior to impact. This would have been excusable if the guy made any attempt to wrap and tackle, but he didn't. Lowering the head like that is counterproductive to any attempt to bat the ball (because you can't see it to do it) and doesn't hurt his case that his intent wasn't to ring Schaub's bell.

Given the timing and that they're seeing a pattern developing and want to nip it in the bud before, presumably from the pattern, Mays goes out there and goes helmet-to-helmet on Carson Palmer (the next QB on Denver's schedule), they're trying to nip it in the bud by exerting a harsher punishment than normal. This could well be an instance where the precedent of how other players have been punished in the past isn't as relevant because the league can cite the back-to-back weeks argument and have a legitimate case for denying the appeal.


i get where there coming from and why they did it, but it just seems a little much for that hit. should be a penalty and should be a fine..i think the suspension is a little much...but not by much.
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 16363
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
cp0k2 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Justice has been served. I really thought Matt Schaub's season was over, or a good portion of it would be missed with a severe concussion. That hit was blatant and illegal in every sense of the word; Guy just charged into Matt and lowered his head and cracked right into Matt's head. I have a hard time believing his intent was anything but ring Schaub's bell...and he couldn't even do THAT right.

Well in his defense, he did remove a piece of Schaub's ear lobe. That's pretty impressive.


Laughing

Indeed it was.
Shaub must have had an earring in? Exactly why in youth and high school sports they make you take them out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38133
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
cp0k2 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Justice has been served. I really thought Matt Schaub's season was over, or a good portion of it would be missed with a severe concussion. That hit was blatant and illegal in every sense of the word; Guy just charged into Matt and lowered his head and cracked right into Matt's head. I have a hard time believing his intent was anything but ring Schaub's bell...and he couldn't even do THAT right.

Well in his defense, he did remove a piece of Schaub's ear lobe. That's pretty impressive.


Laughing

Indeed it was.
Shaub must have had an earring in? Exactly why in youth and high school sports they make you take them out.


...Matt Schaub, with an earring!? Nah, that's not his style. Laughing

Only thing I can think of is that he lobe got caught in some of the internal padding in the helmet when it went flying off of his head.
_________________


vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deserved it. Dirty play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
cp0k2 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Justice has been served. I really thought Matt Schaub's season was over, or a good portion of it would be missed with a severe concussion. That hit was blatant and illegal in every sense of the word; Guy just charged into Matt and lowered his head and cracked right into Matt's head. I have a hard time believing his intent was anything but ring Schaub's bell...and he couldn't even do THAT right.

Well in his defense, he did remove a piece of Schaub's ear lobe. That's pretty impressive.


Laughing

Indeed it was.
Shaub must have had an earring in? Exactly why in youth and high school sports they make you take them out.


...Matt Schaub, with an earring!? Nah, that's not his style. Laughing

Only thing I can think of is that he lobe got caught in some of the internal padding in the helmet when it went flying off of his head.


Well was his grill in? I mean I know he'd never wear both at the same time, it's just tacky. But if he wasn't rocking the grill, it's very possible he had the diamond studs in.


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38133
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...for the record:



That's his ear.
_________________


vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 24418
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
...for the record:



That's his ear.

It's just a flesh wound (literally!)...

Not like he was planning on piercing that ear lobe anyway (Schaub's no hippie!).

Besides, he should know already because the Prophet Keanu told us, "Chicks dig scars!"

Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 23099
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schaub just upped his street cred. Happy he's alright though, Texans are my favorite AFC team.

Overall all a pretty horrid week in the NFL.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers4life52


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 3208
Location: Fresno, CA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicious hit that deserved a suspension.
_________________

^Kempes^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milehighbird


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know I slowed this down and it looks like Mays hit his shoulder pad with his helmet and then slid up to schuab's helmet. It also changed the way May's hit him with turning his shoulders to complete the pass. Besides if it was a helmet to helmet Schaubs head would of snapped back and probably been knocked out not the helmet flying straight up in the air. I think fine yes but suspension no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24999
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
cp0k2 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Justice has been served. I really thought Matt Schaub's season was over, or a good portion of it would be missed with a severe concussion. That hit was blatant and illegal in every sense of the word; Guy just charged into Matt and lowered his head and cracked right into Matt's head. I have a hard time believing his intent was anything but ring Schaub's bell...and he couldn't even do THAT right.

Well in his defense, he did remove a piece of Schaub's ear lobe. That's pretty impressive.


Laughing

Indeed it was.
Shaub must have had an earring in? Exactly why in youth and high school sports they make you take them out.



Who allows their youth football player to get an ear ring???
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 24418
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Who allows their youth football player to get an ear ring???

I told you! Dirty, dirty hippies! Laughing Twisted Evil
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9093
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Who allows their youth football player to get an ear ring???

I told you! Dirty, dirty hippies! Laughing Twisted Evil


half my youth football team had ear rings.

also i would say 90% of my highschool had ear rings by highschool.
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group