Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Myers & Ausberry: Our TE's going into the future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you content at TE going forward, or do you want an upgrade?
We're fine with Myers and Ausberry going into the future
76%
 76%  [ 16 ]
I want to add someone else to start while they back him up
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

reddevil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Drafting a TE high when you already have a solid one (if Myers keeps up his play), is a luxury that this team can't afford IMO. There are way too many needs on defense that there won't be good value at at least one of those positions.

I agree completly. If we had our defense set I could see it but at this point our offense is still better than our defense even with the new scheme.

Who suggesting drafting a TE high? I highly doubt Eifert, who is considered to the consummate 1st TE off the board, may not be drafted in the 1st round. Again, this is a TE heavy draft and there will be upgrades available later. Personally my favorite TE is UCLA TE Joe Fauria who is currently considered a 4th rd prospect.

OT, this is also a CB heavy draft. The Raiders can get a GOOD CB in the 3rd so there's no need to panic about not getting one in the 1st. Byndom, hawthorne or Gilbert will be there in the 3rd. All excellent upgrade options.

What won't be there is 43 edge rushers after the early 2nd. As this draft is very thin at this position. Adjust your big boards accordingly. Not that McKenzie has the same big board we do, perhaps he's looking at drafting some high character guy out of Colorado early that won't beat out the tomato can incumbent.

I would be pretty chuffed if that's how the draft panned out. DE, CB and TE
with first 3 picks. You can definitely get starter quality in the 3rd and 4th round in certain positions. You can't find starting quality pass-rushers who can come in and make a difference day one anywhere other than the first round - and usually top half of the first round. If we are picking relatively the only 2 positions I want to see us pick up are QB (and it's gotta be a well scouted safe bet) or Pass-rusher. If your guys aren't there then trade down and get some more picks. DBs, OGs, RTs, TEs can all be had later on.
LevR85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Raider fan I am content, Myers is playing well, and could develop into a serviceable TE, Ausberry has made catches when given the opportunity, I doubt either will ever be Pro Bowl material, but as long as the offense is producing I am satisfied.

As a Notre Dame fan, Im all about Eifert.

however if we dont get a WR that can start 16 games we need a PB TE, enough said.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bananas about Rudolph. It is so rare to a TE that can block like that and be a receiver. What a rare find.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
I was bananas about Rudolph. It is so rare to a TE that can block like that and be a receiver. What a rare find.

+1. Guy has a bright future.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy if Myers is the starter headed into next year and the next couple years, but if your BPA is a TE when you have your pick, you get him.

Game breaking TE's are hard to come by and can add to your offense, but i still don't see them as a need position, as in you don't need a gronk or graham or gates to win in this league, they are great to have when you have one but you can get by without one.

Big_Palooka on the sig mastery
Darkness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastayetti wrote:
Game breaking TE's are hard to come by and can add to your offense, but i still don't see them as a need position, as in you don't need a gronk or graham or gates to win in this league, they are great to have when you have one but you can get by without one.

Exactly right. Brandon Myers has caught all 15 passes thrown to him so far. He obviously won't stay at that pace, but if he's someone Palmer can be successful with, I don't see the need to replace him.
agarcia34

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how Brandon Myers has been playing this year. His hands have gotten better. He is doing a better job getting open. I'm more then happy to keep him as the TE if he continues to grow as a player. He is on pace for well over 800 yards. His play only helps out the WR's on the outside keep it up Myers.
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agarcia34 wrote:
I love how Brandon Myers has been playing this year. His hands have gotten better. He is doing a better job getting open. I'm more then happy to keep him as the TE if he continues to grow as a player. He is on pace for well over 800 yards. His play only helps out the WR's on the outside keep it up Myers.

I believe he's actually on pace to crack a thousand yards. Obviously projections after three games are misleading, but it does go to show how well he's been playing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really nothing negative to say about Myers-- he's played well thus far through 3 weeks. His hands are sound and while he's not the fastest guy out there when he does get open he makes plays. The catch last week late in the 4th to get us a 1st on a 3rd down (if my memory serves) was HUGE.

That being said, my favorite TE on our roster is Ausberry. He really has not seen much playing time (unless I'm just not seeing him out there) but the few times he's been on the field and been involved he has flashed his potential. I think if he can become a better blocking TE, the sky's the limit for the kid. I loved the play from a week or two ago when he threw guys to the ground and rumbled down field for extra yards--the effort was outstanding!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
What won't be there is 43 edge rushers after the early 2nd. As this draft is very thin at this position. Adjust your big boards accordingly. Not that McKenzie has the same big board we do, perhaps he's looking at drafting some high character guy out of Colorado early that won't beat out the tomato can incumbent.

McKenzie said prior to this last draft that his strategy is drafting BPA. Now, I dont know if that was just for this first year while we were lacking depth and draft picks, or if it will be his strategy every year. If thats the plan he sticks with, we could very well find ourselves passing on a pass rusher or CB if there another player at a different position who is rated higher on his board.

I understand the point of going BPA, but in some instances you really have to look at your team's biggest needs and make a command decision to change that plan. IMO, our needs as of right now are DE, CB, and as always, NT. If we do not come out of the first 3 rounds without at least one of those positions, I will be furious (unless, of course we take care of those positions in free agency).

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAIDERNATN4EVR wrote:
There's really nothing negative to say about Myers-- he's played well thus far through 3 weeks. His hands are sound and while he's not the fastest guy out there when he does get open he makes plays. The catch last week late in the 4th to get us a 1st on a 3rd down (if my memory serves) was HUGE.

Obviously, it would be panty-wetting to have a TE like Graham, Gates, or Gronk on our team, but I am completely happy with the way Myers has been playing. While he is not elite at anything, he also doesnt really seem to have any major weaknesses. Solid is a good way to describe him- he wont take over a game or make the highlight reel, but he is capable of getting open, catching the ball, moving the chains, and blocking. When you look at the struggles of a lot of the rest of the team, its hard not to look at Myers a sa positive right now.

La_Vader wrote:
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
RAIDERNATN4EVR wrote:

Obviously, it would be panty-wetting to have a TE like Graham, Gates, or Gronk on our team, but I am completely happy with the way Myers has been playing. While he is not elite at anything, he also doesnt really seem to have any major weaknesses. Solid is a good way to describe him- he wont take over a game or make the highlight reel, but he is capable of getting open, catching the ball, moving the chains, and blocking. When you look at the struggles of a lot of the rest of the team, its hard not to look at Myers a sa positive right now.

I got distracted. I don't know what's more disturbing. The fact that you wear panties or your bladder control issues. . . . (j/k)

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Chali21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the last "game breaking" TE taken in the 1st?
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
RAIDERNATN4EVR wrote:

I got distracted. I don't know what's more disturbing. The fact that you wear panties or your bladder control issues. . . . (j/k)

The silk and lace feel amazing!

La_Vader wrote:
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
Who was the last "game breaking" TE taken in the 1st?

Was it Vernon Davis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: