Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Myers & Ausberry: Our TE's going into the future?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you content at TE going forward, or do you want an upgrade?
We're fine with Myers and Ausberry going into the future
76%
 76%  [ 16 ]
I want to add someone else to start while they back him up
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

Darkness

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Myers & Ausberry: Our TE's going into the future? Reply with quote

What was thought to be a position of weakness by most at TE, has wound up being a strength so far.

Brandon Myers has literally caught everything thrown at him this season. He's been very reliable, and shown surprising athleticism to get up the field, whether running routes, or running after the catch. He has the look of a solid starting TE and Carson Palmer really seems to trust him.

David Ausberry hasn't shown as much, but you could see that he has great moves and athleticism after the catch. I like his potential quite a bit. So for those not as thrilled by Myers, perhaps they'd be content letting Ausberry continue to develop his athletic skill set?

What do you think?
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Myers & Ausberry: Our TE's going into the future? Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
He's been very reliable, and shown surprising athleticism to get up the field, whether running routes, or running after the catch. He has the look of a solid starting TE and Carson Palmer really seems to trust him.

That's the most surprising about him. I was pretty sure he was nothing more than a short route safety valve at TE but he can really make some plays downfield as well. At the moment (very early), there's no reason to look for an upgrade.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only guy who believed in Myers? Laughing

I remember when he was drafted he had a nice preseason catching the ball. Had a lot of the same skills Zach Miller had.

He was held in on blocking duty over the years, but he can catch passes and make guys miss.

To answer the question raised in the poll, if the opportunity is there to add a TE, you take it. They are matchup nightmares if you find the right one. I am all for drafting the best player available. If that guy is a game breaking TE, so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

I remember when he was drafted he had a nice preseason catching the ball. Had a lot of the same skills Zach Miller had.

He was held in on blocking duty over the years, but he can catch passes and make guys miss.

To answer the question raised in the poll, if the opportunity is there to add a TE, you take it. They are matchup nightmares if you find the right one. I am all for drafting the best player available. If that guy is a game breaking TE, so be it.

I knew he had good hands. I underrated him athletically.

With as many needs as this team has, I don't share that stance. You can take the BPA at more important positions if Brandon Myers continues to play the way he has. Plus, I think Ausberry has the physical talent to be a matchup nightmare with more experience at TE.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been surprised with the play of our TE's. Myers is just stepping up and balling and every time Ausberry gets his hands on the ball, something good happens. Even Gordon has improved.

I kind of like this TE by committee thing and am cool with riding it out for the season to see how it goes. Then coming back to it at season's end and seeing where we're at with the position. Hopefully BP can keep it up in Adopt A Raider and give us some good insight on Myers.

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Did somebody mention teens?
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TE position has been a pleasant surprise this year. Myers has been nothing short of terrific. He's got open and caught the football and you can tell Palmer has trust in him. Ausberry has shown flashes of being a play maker. He's still a little raw, but he's coming along.

I wouldn't pass up the chance at a blue chip prospect if he was BPA on our board, but I don't think its a pressing need at this point. The TE position hasn't held us back this hear so I don't think its a top priority right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

I think he is solid enough and we have more pressing needs, but at the same time i am never against upgrading any position. If we find ourselves in a situation to do that at a reasonable price i am for it. Until then i think we would be much better served by upgrading our secondary and pass rushers. And there would be a few other places i would try to fix before TE.

Sigged by Jamison
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

I fit this bill also.

PM sig requests.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

With as many needs as this team has, I don't share that stance. You can take the BPA at more important positions if Brandon Myers continues to play the way he has. Plus, I think Ausberry has the physical talent to be a matchup nightmare with more experience at TE.

That would be drafting need.

If on the clock, you have a playmaking TE staring you in the face, he's the top guy on your board and you elect to draft another position, that's a need pick. Need always fails over BPA IMO.

Need QB (Russell). BPA (Megatron)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

I believed in Myers also.

Dude is a legit all around TE, he isn't gonna put up Gronk or Graham numbers but can be productive in the passing game, solid run blocker also and a hard nosed player that gets hit, gets up and goes back to the huddle ready for the next play.

He is a similiar TE to Heath Miller, solid all around tight ends, not gonna blow your mind but just gonna consitently get the job done and be under reconized for it.

Big_Palooka on the sig mastery
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

If on the clock, you have a playmaking TE staring you in the face, he's the top guy on your board and you elect to draft another position, that's a need pick. Need always fails over BPA IMO.

I agree with you in the case of picking a TE high but the BPA thing is crap imo. You have to go off both. Know who notoriously drafts the BPA and always sucks? Buffalo. How many RB's have they taken first in the last decade? Travis Henry, Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, CJ Spiller.

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Darkness

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

What if the BPA is a RB, or LT? Just because you pass over a position you're already set at doesn't mean you're drafting for need. Every draft has a multitude of good prospects in it. Scouting is what determines a draft pick being good or not.

Look at all the contenders from last season. They all drafted for need in the 1st round. It comes down to being able to balance what you need with who's the best on the board. No GM is stupid enough to just draft the player they think is best without taking his team into consideration first.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

What if the BPA is a RB, or LT? Just because you pass over a position you're already set at doesn't mean you're drafting for need. Every draft has a multitude of good prospects in it. Scouting is what determines a draft pick being good or not.

Look at all the contenders from last season. They all drafted for need in the 1st round. It comes down to being able to balance what you need with who's the best on the board. No GM is stupid enough to just draft the player they think is best without taking his team into consideration first.

False. Buffalo and their RBs. They picked Spiller with Lynch and FJax on the roster.

ravens_rool28 wrote:
BigMike1b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to go with the bpa, but at the same time you have to take into consideration need. Hopefully the bpa fits a position of need Laughing

2012 Adopt a Raider: DE Lamarr Houston

Silver&Black88 with the sweet sig!
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take:

RBs - don't draft them early. You can get production later in the draft.

And I agree. You want to draft BPA at a position of need ideally. I'm just saying if your team needs a pass rusher and your on the clock, don't reach for a pass rusher unless there is the right one there. Reaching always backfires.

Reggies seems to be a man tied to his board also. We can at least rest assured we shouldn't see another BPA (Rodgers) in 2005, trade to 23 and take Fabian Washington (need?) play agains anytime soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: