Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive performance so far

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Defensive performance so far Reply with quote

As a whole they've looked better than expected. Don't really include the ravens game as they were given 28 undeserved points. Just to make a list of quick hits.

Spikes has regressed largely because of scheme. Was hoping to see him blitz more.

Chandler has been a beast. He had a monster game against the ravens, just wasn't getting the calls.

McCourty has been way better than people give him credit for. Not rookie season dominant but still pretty good.

Chung has been okay.

Gregory has been better than expected, solid.

Hightower has been pretty good for a rookie, hope he developes into more of an impact player instead of a guy who won't lose the game for you.

Mayo hasn't been good. Still needs more impact plays.

Wilfork is still an all pro who we are way too dependent on

Love has been better than expected. Solid starter but still would prefer him as a backup rotation guy. Still upset we didn't get red Bryant

Ninkovich has been a massive liability in both pass and run defense

Cunningham has made a nice resurgence.

I think the schematic shift to have lighter de's and heavy lbs was a smart one, but we need to get a better de than Ninkovich, he simply can not hold up in the run and is mediocre rushing the passer as a de. Whether its Cunningham or carter or someone else, we need to improve there.

Also the disappearance of dowling has been confusing. While I think Arrington and especially McCourty have been doing better than give credit for, I'm confused why someone as talented as him is on the bench. I was expecting a great year out of him.

Safety play from last year has been much better and now we have some actual range and athleticism. I'd like to see Chung (Along with spikes and hightower) given chances to blitz more often. Heck even a corner blitz out of McCourty could be beneficial as iirc it worked well in 2010 when we did it (twice?)

As long as wilfork and love are on the field, we have a pretty good defense as our run defense can be contained in the front seven and play two deep safety. However it reared it's ugly head against the ravens. Wilfork was getting a breather and the ravens ran it down our throats like we were expecting a hailmary. We can't afford to be that dependent and that bad without him.[/img]

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikes was fine the first 2 games. Both he and Hightower were bad vs. Baltimore

McCourty has been mostly fine, not sure how much of that is due to improved safety play

Arrington isn't as bad as people make him out to be, but I don't understand Ras-I Dowling's disappearance

Kyle Love was pretty good the first 2 games, but again, too easily neutralized vs the Ravens

Chung is what he is

Gregory hasn't been as good as some people here have made him out to be, but he hasn't been bad. I'd say slightly below average or average, which isn't too bad considering how poor NFL safeties are. He's not a liability, which is the important thing

Mayo as a WILL isn't something I really understood last year and still don't get it. He's solid, but seems to be playing away from his strengths

I wouldn't call Ninkovich a massive liability, but he's been a non-factor. Not sure what they can do there, maybe Trevor Scott gets more playing time

Cunningham has been somewhat effective but under utilized

Sterling Moore has been bad, bad, bad.

The backup DL haven't done anything, but other than Forston don't look out of place

Tavon Wilson has been OK, hard to tell given his limited playing time

I'm not worried about the defense really. I don't think it's a unit that can win games for the team or dominate an opponent. However, it seems like a unit that will trend towards solid and reliable as the season goes on (assuming no big injuries to Wilfork or McCourty)

The lack of a pass rush is troubling though. Next year's draft or free agency needs to yield an interior rusher. Love is OK (passable anyway) as a base defense DT but a more disruptive player would take the defense from steady (which is what I hope they end up as) to disruptive and possibly elite.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why specifically do you think Sterling Moore has been so bad? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just haven't really noticed anything to terrible. Why exactly has he been so bad?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmacz008 wrote:
Why specifically do you think Sterling Moore has been so bad? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just haven't really noticed anything to terrible. Why exactly has he been so bad?

Bad coverage, bad angles on the ball carrier, completely useless in the run game.

Basically, he's been bad or terrible at everything.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better refs against the Ravens and better STs against the Cards, and the Pats are top 5 in the NFL in points allowed. I can't complain about that.
TKOhitter8737

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Jmacz008 wrote:

Bad coverage, bad angles on the ball carrier, completely useless in the run game.

I disagree More was lined up with Fitz most of the game sure he had saftey help, but still held his own. The one thing i have noticed is Moore is the only corner who can jam the Wr at the line.
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Better refs against the Ravens and better STs against the Cards, and the Pats are top 5 in the NFL in points allowed. I can't complain about that.

More or less this is my line of thought.

Despite Oher holding on Chandler for the entiriety of the game, we can't afford to get gashed in the run game the second Wilfork leaves the field. We need more depth on the OL and someone better than Nink. Nink was getting abused in the running game and they just kept targetting him for a while, and he wasn't doing anything in the pass rush.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKOhitter8737 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Jmacz008 wrote:

I disagree More was lined up with Fitz most of the game sure he had saftey help, but still held his own. The one thing i have noticed is Moore is the only corner who can jam the Wr at the line.

....you know who Sterling Moore is, correct? Because the person you just described isn't him

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I can't understand about Nink is that he was good last year and even with Chandler already getting some double teams on the other side, he still can't be a factor. I really just dont understand, maybe he just can't have his hand in the dirt, Idk.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
The thing I can't understand about Nink is that he was good last year and even with Chandler already getting some double teams on the other side, he still can't be a factor. I really just dont understand, maybe he just can't have his hand in the dirt, Idk.

Latter part. He also has short arms and is only 6'2 and weighs 250 lbs. Doesn't help that he is going against (mostly) power tackles and TEs.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:

I wouldn't say he was good last year. He had moments of excellent play, moments of horrendous play and a lot of mediocrity in between.

I'm not quite sure why the Pats decided to go with him at LE unless they simply feel the in-house options are all worse (probably an accurate assessment) and external options wouldn't be a sufficient upgrade for the cost (and outside of Andre Carter, that too is probably an accurate assessment).

I do think that if he has more games like last week, he will find his way out of the rotation at DE. For a team with 3-4 other guys on the roster at DE, there is no reason not to try something else.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

Latter part. He also has short arms and is only 6'2 and weighs 250 lbs. Doesn't help that he is going against (mostly) power tackles and TEs.

It still baffles me though because Ive seen Chandler stand up with Nink's hands down, so why put Nink at that disadvantage? I just wish we had two 4-3 DE if thats what we are going to do instead of one and an 3-4 OLB pretending to be a 43 DE

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

It still baffles me though because Ive seen Chandler stand up with Nink's hands down, so why put Nink at that disadvantage? I just wish we had two 4-3 DE if thats what we are going to do instead of one and an 3-4 OLB pretending to be a 43 DE

Who was out there that you would have preferred over Ninkovich?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

Jermaine Cunningham!!!! Give Jermaine a shot, an actual shot, and I bet he is better then Nink (Hands Down)
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trivium2009 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

Jermaine Cunningham!!!! Give Jermaine a shot, an actual shot, and I bet he is better then Nink (Hands Down)

That's what I want to see too. I wonder if BB thinks Ninkovich is truly a better option, or just thinks Cunningham needs to be available for the sub-rusher role instead. I find it hard to believe that Cunningham isn't better - he seems to hold the edge real well and he can rush the passer with more strength and variety of moves than Ninkovich.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: