Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I was wrong about Weeden. (Fire Shurmer!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
"if" Shurmur is fired who do all see as likely candidates.

College coaches I wouldn't mind. Top 3 in no certain order

Urban Myer of tOSU (offensive innovator and winner)

Mike Gundy OkSt (offensive innovator and winner) Weeden would love this

Lane Kiffen USC (Runs the WCO and has Monti Kiffen as a DC)

HC's from the Broadcast booth

John Gruden (runs the WCO and made Brad Johnson into a superbowl winning QB.)

LOL Bring Mangini back! J/K

Gruden is the ONLY one I could see coming back

Have to look later for Current coordinators

Here is my short list as all of these guys have at least some tie to Haslam.

Jon Gruden (obvious choice) and he has talked to Haslam already
Tony Dungy (Connection with manning family)
Bruce Arians (OC when Haslam was minoirty owner in Pitt)
Keith Butler (LB Coach when Haslam was Minority owner in PItt)
Dave Wandstandt (HC Of U of Pitt when Haslam was in Pitt)
Jack Del Rio (DC of Denver and tie to Manning Familly)
Pete Carmichael Jr (OC of NO Saints) and tie to manning family.
Mike McCoy OC in Denver (again Manning tie)
Jim Caldwell (Again manning tie)
Jay Gruden (Nashville tie)
Todd Haley (Pittsburg tie this year)
John Mitchell (AHC of Pittsburg and was DL coach in Cleveland)
Ether

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think better coaching would squeak us out a few more games at least. Maybe not playoff contention, but certainly more than 4 wins we had last season. You can't downplay the impact Harbaugh has in San Fran, or even what Marvin Lewis can do every once in a while with limited talent. Shurmur doesn't have a good enough excuse to be 4-12, younger teams have done better, less talented teams have done better.
buno67

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
I think better coaching would squeak us out a few more games at least. Maybe not playoff contention, but certainly more than 4 wins we had last season. You can't downplay the impact Harbaugh has in San Fran, or even what Marvin Lewis can do every once in a while with limited talent. Shurmur doesn't have a good enough excuse to be 4-12, younger teams have done better, less talented teams have done better.

Harbaugh was so huge for San Fran because it finally gave Alex Smith a QB minded HC. Alex Smith finally had a HC how knew how to handle QBs. Mike Singletary was a horrible coach for QB to work with. Harbaugh knew how to work with what Alex Smith had.

Its not like Harbaugh took a crap team and magically turned it into a power house. Sanfran always had a decent defense and a great running game but were held back by poor QB play. Hargaugh came in and improved the QB play and now the team is legit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grudens dink and dunk offense makes me not want him. I will give him credit though. He proved he can win it all.
buno67

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Grudens dink and dunk offense makes me not want him. I will give him credit though. He proved he can win it all.

i dont know if its all dink and dunk. His last year with the Raiders Tim Brown and Jerry Rice avg 12-13yards a catch and his first year with the Bucs hed 3WR avg over 11yards a catch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:

I dont get the Gruden love. He was a good coach, but he never developed a young QB, ever, and has been out of the league for for 4 years.

He's a proven coach.

We need a guy like that right now IMO.

Doesn't take proven coaches to lead a team. Neither Harbaugh was proven, and they've done OK. Same with Omar Epps in Yinzerville. And on and on.

I would be suprised if Haslam hires a retread.

My guess is either Rob Chudzinski or Jay Gruden.

Both names were being buzzed about during Jacksonville's coaching search, and I'll be puzzled if they're not considered.

I really want Chud. I know it's a philosophy change, but it seems like we have the pieces to replicate that 2007 season's offensive explosion.

Never said it did.

Purely speculative, but a guy who is petitioning the city of Cleveland for a dome before he legally owns the Browns seems like the type of a guy who is going to want to make a 'splash' with a head coach.

Nothing wrong with either candidate you mentioned, but having a guy who's 'been there, done that' with a bunch of young players couldn't hurt IMO.

Touché.

Just for clarity, though, it was the City Council that asked Haslam how he felt about a roof, and not vice versa.

As far as 'been there, done that' goes, Chud has guided the Browns to a top 10 offense so he would have a fair amount of credibility in the locker room.

I can see your point about Haslam wanting to play it safe with a proven coach, but I get the feeling he's not really a 'playtop it safe' kinda guy.

We'll see. Definitely going to be interesting to see what he does when he takes over.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:

As far as 'been there, done that' goes, Chud has guided the Browns to a top 10 offense so he would have a fair amount of credibility in the locker room.

Weeds is the perfect QB for Chuds' offense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

Weeds is the perfect QB for Chuds' offense.

Cameron, the perfect TE.

Gordon, the perfect WR1.

Richardson, the perfect RB.

Pieces are there, and there is less of a learning curve than the WCO.

One can only hope.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing about Chud I am kinda meh on, is he a proven leader of men? Or is he just a good OC? After all some coaches are just good coordinators, it is what it is.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
candyman93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

Honestly I think Gundy and Meyer would be bad hires

Kiffen would be ever worse. The guy has proven to be nothing to trust.

I dont get the Gruden love. He was a good coach, but he never developed a young QB, ever, and has been out of the league for for 4 years.

Chip Kelly actually intrigues me

His practice styles intrigues me. His offense doesn't.

Imo Kelly is an offensive genius, and I feel he cold tailor a little bit of his spread to a more traditional NFL style as well

I like playing at a fast pace and having speed all over the field.

However the offense would need a Cam Newton / Tim Tebow type of QB to execute it and it is too simple.
kelbot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Mike Zimmer. And if Cam continues to struggle, look for Chud to be available as an OC. Leave Jauron in place. Hire a better ST coach. That would make me happy.

But not as much as keeping a coach for 3 years.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

Honestly I think Gundy and Meyer would be bad hires

Kiffen would be ever worse. The guy has proven to be nothing to trust.

Chip Kelly actually intrigues me

His practice styles intrigues me. His offense doesn't.

Imo Kelly is an offensive genius, and I feel he cold tailor a little bit of his spread to a more traditional NFL style as well

I like playing at a fast pace and having speed all over the field.

However the offense would need a Cam Newton / Tim Tebow type of QB to execute it and it is too simple.

See I feel he could incorporate his fast paced aporoach to a traditional offense
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelbot wrote:
But not as much as keeping a good coach for 3 years.

Fixed.

Romeo was here longer than 3 years.
kelbot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
kelbot wrote:

Fixed.

Shurmur is not as incompetent as Romeo still is. I would argue he has been put in a near impossible situation. 19 games into it, Ii can't think of a game he cost us. I like his principles. His ego doesn't get in his way. There have been worse given more time. Evidenced by your post.

A lot is made of targeting receivers before the marker on third downs. And it's usually attributed to play design/calling. Realistically, there are progressions and checkdowns on all plays that aren't hail marys. You can't just run 4 verts every play. It's not easy to convert 3rd and 8. Good defenses set up at the sticks and bring pressure to force the quick throw. Sometimes, the best choice is giving Trich a chance to get 8 instead of forcing a seam to poor route runners against 2 deep.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelbot wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
kelbot wrote:

Fixed.

Shurmur is not as incompetent as Romeo still is. I would argue he has been put in a near impossible situation. 19 games into it, Ii can't think of a game he cost us. I like his principles. His ego doesn't get in his way. There have been worse given more time. Evidenced by your post.

A lot is made of targeting receivers before the marker on third downs. And it's usually attributed to play design/calling. Realistically, there are progressions and checkdowns on all plays that aren't hail marys. You can't just run 4 verts every play. It's not easy to convert 3rd and 8. Good defenses set up at the sticks and bring pressure to force the quick throw. Sometimes, the best choice is giving Trich a chance to get 8 instead of forcing a seam to poor route runners against 2 deep.

I completely agree.

I see offenses in the NFL complete passes short of the sticks and WRs turn and get the yardage they need every game. It's what the defense gives you, but the QB has to be smart with his read and accurate with his throw. Weeden isn't there yet.

What gets me steaming is when everyone who is watching, especially the defensive players, know that it's going to be a pass and we have Weeden drop back and fake a handoff. IT DOES NOTHING. Especially when you haven't run the ball A SINGLE TIME IN THE 4th QUARTER.

A lot of these plays being called in critical times are really setting our guys up for failure, and they're definitely producing in that regard.

On the deep sideline passes, we weren't giving the QB enough room to drop it on the outside shoulder. Either that's an errant point of emphasis in coaching, or it's a lack of emphasis in coaching. Both ways, it's on the coach to put his players in better positions to make plays.

I don't see that happening, so there's no doubt in my mind we'll see a change at HC after this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: