Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oh, mercy...it's Percy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDog74

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Percy is gone this off-season.

I'm just mad the Jets fired Tannenbaum, he loved to make snap decision trades and most of the time liked to include players. Something along the lines of Percy and a 5th for Kyle Wilson and a 2nd. Wilson hasn't really cut it as a nickel corner in NY (at least the media doesn't believe he has) but I think he could have success on the outside in MN. We could still sign a WR like Jennings and then could use our 1st rounder on a WR as well. Yet leaving us the 2 2nd rounders to cover some of our other needs
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigDog74 wrote:
I think Percy is gone this off-season.

I'm just mad the Jets fired Tannenbaum, he loved to make snap decision trades and most of the time liked to include players. Something along the lines of Percy and a 5th for Kyle Wilson and a 2nd. Wilson hasn't really cut it as a nickel corner in NY (at least the media doesn't believe he has) but I think he could have success on the outside in MN. We could still sign a WR like Jennings and then could use our 1st rounder on a WR as well. Yet leaving us the 2 2nd rounders to cover some of our other needs

that is what i see as ideal. draft a true outside WR in round 1, sign Jennings, use Wright in the slot and trade Harvin for a 2nd rd pick. MN would then have two 2nd rd picks to improve the defense. Simpson, Jenkins, a late round pick, Stephen Burton and possibly Greg Childs can compete for the #4 and #5 WR spots.

I dont see any round 1 defenders of interest anyway, its a horrible class at LB and DT for round 1 prospects.

If trading Harvin gives us more ammo in the best part of the draft (picks 25-60), it wouldnt be a bad deal if MN has adequate replacements.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you guys see as a timeframe when we might know whether the Vikes will keep or trade Harvin?

what are the target dates of other activities that would enter in to it, or would it go all the way up to Draft Day?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
what do you guys see as a timeframe when we might know whether the Vikes will keep or trade Harvin?

what are the target dates of other activities that would enter in to it, or would it go all the way up to Draft Day?

I would guess that a Harvin trade would occur after the first wave of free agency so teams know where the free agent WRs go.

Probably mid March? I am not sure when the start of free agency is this year.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Percy's here after the draft, he's staying.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also say that if MIN does not get a WR Free Agent like a Jennings/Wallace/Bowe/Etc (basically 1st wave of FAs), MIN would likely want to retain Percy, regardless if they've have preliminary discussions.

Thats the kind of thing Rick could put on the backburner and focus' his attention on draft, and then after the draft you revisit Percy/agent.

When all is said and done, I think Rick does not trade Percy, and Percy is not signed until late into the offseason (and we will discuss this for the next few months Razz)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i see what everyone is saying about Percy Harvin and whether or not he will be traded or retained. I personally believe there is no chance the Vikings let him go. That would be for lack of a better word, Stupid. I do believe they sign a free agent WR and draft another receiver. Either it be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. So, I see the Vikings keeping Harvin, moving Wright to the slot, signing a receiver that can stretch the field, (no one specific in my mind) then draft one of the better prospects in the draft. I completely trust Spielmans' ability to draft at any position. 85% of the time they pan out so if I do not believe he goes after Wallace, Bowe, or Jennings and maybe im wrong and I honestly do not know any other receivers on the market but i know Spielman doesn't pay high money for free agent receivers. Point is, I believe Vikings will keep Harvin. Sign a dissent FA WR. Then draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd rd. Just whatever they do, they better keep Harvin
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jam8891 wrote:
well i see what everyone is saying about Percy Harvin and whether or not he will be traded or retained. I personally believe there is no chance the Vikings let him go. That would be for lack of a better word, Stupid. I do believe they sign a free agent WR and draft another receiver. Either it be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. So, I see the Vikings keeping Harvin, moving Wright to the slot, signing a receiver that can stretch the field, (no one specific in my mind) then draft one of the better prospects in the draft. I completely trust Spielmans' ability to draft at any position. 85% of the time they pan out so if I do not believe he goes after Wallace, Bowe, or Jennings and maybe im wrong and I honestly do not know any other receivers on the market but i know Spielman doesn't pay high money for free agent receivers. Point is, I believe Vikings will keep Harvin. Sign a dissent FA WR. Then draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd rd. Just whatever they do, they better keep Harvin

I agree, i want Percy to stay a Viking. Way to talented to ship off for a 2nd round pick that may never turn out.

My opinion on the WR position is that we should try and sign a WR like Jennings/Wallace in free agency, and at the top of the draft focus on defense.

#ManzieltoMinnesota
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
jam8891 wrote:

I agree, i want Percy to stay a Viking. Way to talented to ship off for a 2nd round pick that may never turn out.

My opinion on the WR position is that we should try and sign a WR like Jennings/Wallace in free agency, and at the top of the draft focus on defense.

You could say the same about Harvin. Why keep a player around like Harvin who may not turn out and ever be happy here? Heck, if a deal isnt reached he very well could have every intention of leaving the Vikings after his deal is up for the Vikes to receive nothing in return.

There is a risk in acquiring draft picks, but i also think there is a risk in keeping Harvin around.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as we discuss the strategy of keeping Harvin or trading Harvin, it really all comes down to one thing - Harvin's own personal attitude.

does he want to be a Viking? is he going to give the team his best focus and determination, or become someone who basically sulks if he doesn't get his way?

none of us know his present attitude or where he wants to take it. we're all guessing in the dark until we do.

Webmaster wrote:
VikesViggor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Harvin's attitude and his desire to be a Viking are huge contributors to the decision as to whether we should keep him or move him, but personally, I would not be willing to accept a 2nd round pick for arguably the most electric and versatile player in the league. Especially, when you consider the fact that he will enter next season at only 25 years old. He was drafted in the first round and has far exceeded even those lofty expectations and only seems destined to improve.

As for effort next year (if he is unhappy about not being moved)...his effort directly affects his future. He is in a contract year next year regardless of who he plans to sign with. The better production he gives, the more money he can expect to get in a new contract.

If the Vikings decide to basically 'hold him hostage' they could always franchise him the following year in an attempt to sign and trade him so they don't lose him for nothing.

That being said, if the Vikings coaching staff feels he will be a distraction in the locker room, then it may be time to move on. Although, he doesn't seem to have ever been much of an in season distraction, I guess it is possible. So, if the Vikings have exhausted all other options and feel the only choice left is to move on from him then I will support it, but it needs to be for the right price...I think that price is higher than a 2nd rounder.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the main question being does Harvin want to be a Viking.

The main question I think is: does Rick want to trade Harvin now for X package or does he want to take his chances with working out something eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
as much as we discuss the strategy of keeping Harvin or trading Harvin, it really all comes down to one thing - Harvin's own personal attitude.

does he want to be a Viking? is he going to give the team his best focus and determination, or become someone who basically sulks if he doesn't get his way?

none of us know his present attitude or where he wants to take it. we're all guessing in the dark until we do.

With the way media is, I think the whole thing of Harvin being away is being blown up. It seems we are trying to make something out of minor instances that have occurred. Percy is a competitor and as one myself, being around the team can make things a LOT harder. I never was injured, for more than a couple practices, but even being at a practice and not being able to help out your team is an awful feeling.

That said, my guess is Harvin will be back with a new contract. If not, I'm sure we will be compensated well. I saw a mock with the Texans trading us their first for Harvin. After watching them last night seemingly having no playmakers, this is entirely possible. If I am wrong about Harvin and that he is seriously upset, I would not be mad about that compensation. but in the end, I think he'll be here.

Hooray media?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ welcome aboard, first of all!

to me, i've come to terms with Harvin being in Florida. it's not an issue for his teammates so it's not an issue for me.

the larger issues though, that do appear to have some merit, are his argumentative history with coaches and the front office, and his unwillingness to at least do it privately.

if he had been private and professional about it, then the media wouldn't have anything to examine/inflate.

Webmaster wrote:
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
^^ welcome aboard, first of all!

to me, i've come to terms with Harvin being in Florida. it's not an issue for his teammates so it's not an issue for me.

the larger issues though, that do appear to have some merit, are his argumentative history with coaches and the front office, and his unwillingness to at least do it privately.

if he had been private and professional about it, then the media wouldn't have anything to examine/inflate.

Very true. It's just that the issue of him being in Florida is what is at the center of the argument with all these other instances that you pointed out to be smaller parts of it. However, it gives us something to talk about too. Without media, FF would have a hard time existing in the first place. We would be talking about even more ridiculous things, like why VD has yet to attend a Vikings game... Rolling Eyes

What do you guys think is a realistic compensation for Percy if he were to be traded? Its interesting to speculate because I have seen everything from a low 1st round pick to a 3rd and a conditional 2014.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 32 of 36

Jump to: