Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oh, mercy...it's Percy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelissero mentioned that Harvin hasn't even been at these games since his injury. I just find that inexcusable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
my views on whether to trade Percy or not are based on details we'll never know - the inner workings of negotiations and his attitude. we don't need to debate he is an extremely talented and versatile playmaker, but he does appear to be on the cusp of becoming a full time diva. which would hurt team chemistry a great deal, as already we have reports players distance themselves from him. it seems even when he is happy, it is short lived.

but i wouldn't trade him for the sake of trading him, and accept a cheap offer. i wouldn't even accept an average offer, it would have to be a blockbuster one.

I don't know if I buy that he is on the verge of becoming a complete diva, but I would also not deal him for anything less than a blockbuster. I might still not do it even then (an outrageous deal I might take, but those cases are extremely rare, and understandably so).

Peppers90 on the sig.
El Raymundo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can convince Dallas that they are one player away from reaching and winning the Super Bowl...hmmm...

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
my views on whether to trade Percy or not are based on details we'll never know - the inner workings of negotiations and his attitude. we don't need to debate he is an extremely talented and versatile playmaker, but he does appear to be on the cusp of becoming a full time diva. which would hurt team chemistry a great deal, as already we have reports players distance themselves from him. it seems even when he is happy, it is short lived.

but i wouldn't trade him for the sake of trading him, and accept a cheap offer. i wouldn't even accept an average offer, it would have to be a blockbuster one.

I don't know if I buy that he is on the verge of becoming a complete diva, but I would also not deal him for anything less than a blockbuster. I might still not do it even then (an outrageous deal I might take, but those cases are extremely rare, and understandably so).

Percy Harvin has been a diva since high school. This was well known during the draft. While he will give you his very best on game day, the other 6 days of the week are a different story.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Pelissero mentioned that Harvin hasn't even been at these games since his injury. I just find that inexcusable.

yeah, i read that last week and didn't care for it either. cheering on your team while injured, or even just being demure on the sidelines, is part of being employed in the NFL, i've always felt.

Urlacher today was on the CHI sidelines and his career might be totally over.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Percy Harvin has been a diva since high school. This was well known during the draft. While he will give you his very best on game day, the other 6 days of the week are a different story.

I don't know him as a person nor do I know where you got this information from, so I can't say. I don't view him in that light, honestly.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of us know any NFL players as a person, but jeez do we have opinions of them!

Very Happy

Percy's "diva-like" actions as a Viking:

arguing with coaches
demanding more playing time
unexcused extra time off when family member died
saying he wanted to be traded
yelling at Frazier during a game
not present with teamates while injured

i mean, c'mon...

Webmaster wrote:
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
none of us know any NFL players as a person, but jeez do we have opinions of them!

Very Happy

Percy's "diva-like" actions as a Viking:

arguing with coaches
demanding more playing time
unexcused extra time off when family member died
saying he wanted to be traded
yelling at Frazier during a game
not present with teamates while injured

i mean, c'mon...

We do have opinions of them indeed - as players, not so much as people.

Wow, we definitely have different ideas of what constitutes a "diva," though. I have a problem with just one of the items on your list. That is the last one. But I also do not know what the exact circumstances are around the situation, so I'm not particularly inclined to pass judgment on someone as a person from that. Certainly the fact that he is one of my favorite players factors into things, but going strictly off that list, I personally disagree on that assessment completely. To each his own, no doubt.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not "passing judgment on someone as a person," to use your words, so i'd appreciate if you don't tag me with that. i'm looking at what kind of teammate Harvin is.

yelling at your head coach on the sidelines of a game is NOT proper activity for any player. even Harvin admitted afterward he was wrong to do so.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
we definitely have different ideas of what constitutes a "diva," though.

what would your definitions be?

diva - a distinguished female singer; a prima donna.

prima donna - a temperamental person; a person who takes adulation and privileged treatment as a right and reacts with petulance to criticism or inconvenience.

Dictionary.com

Webmaster wrote:
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i'm not "passing judgment on someone as a person," to use your words, so i'd appreciate if you don't tag me with that. i'm looking at what kind of teammate Harvin is.

yelling at your head coach on the sidelines of a game is NOT proper activity for any player. even Harvin admitted afterward he was wrong to do so.

Question

You are definitely reading too much into what I said. I did not intend to offend you. Chill out for once, man.

Like I said, I consider only one of the items on your list to be an actual cause for concern. And I'm not inclined to pass any kind of judgment on it given that I do not know the exact circumstances of the situation. The organization itself has kept a tight lid on what exactly is going on with Harvin and his relationship to the front office, so it is not surprising, either. I do not share your dislike for his actions, all things considered.

Peppers90 on the sig.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
we definitely have different ideas of what constitutes a "diva," though.

what would your definitions be?

diva - a distinguished female singer; a prima donna.

prima donna - a temperamental person; a person who takes adulation and privileged treatment as a right and reacts with petulance to criticism or inconvenience.

Dictionary.com

Well, I certainly do not consider him a distinguished female singer. He hasn't quite cracked the Billboard Top 100 yet.

I don't think he fits the description of a prima donna all that well, either, aside from the fact that he is certainly temperamental, but there is a reason we do not label all temperamental people prima donnas. The word is more context-specific. I reserve the "diva" term for someone like Terrell Owens; his attention-mongering and immaturity is on another level.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think unprofessional and selfish better describe Percy Harvin than diva. Some of Harvin's actions with teammates and coaches simply have not been appropriate for what one would expect from an NFL player. Not being there for the team, when other NFL players routinely are when injured, seems selfish to me. Harvin seems like a "me first" type player. Demanding more playing time rather than having a conversation, yelling at coaches, threatening to skip out of camp, not being a team player on game day when inactive, just some examples we can point to.

I dont think this is enough for me to want to trade Harvin, but I would be very reserved about giving him a big contract. I guess if there is uncertainty to his value financially, a decision needs to be made before his rookie deal expires.

To me, there are two options. 1) pay him now and do whatever you can to keep him happy; or 2) trade him now while he still has a cheap contract and a good amount trade value. There isnt a 3rd option to wait another year to extend him, in my opinion. I dont think Harvin's demeanor will allow for this.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I think unprofessional and selfish better describe Percy Harvin than diva. Some of Harvin's actions with teammates and coaches simply have not been appropriate for what one would expect from an NFL player. Not being there for the team, when other NFL players routinely are when injured, seems selfish to me. Harvin seems like a "me first" type player. Demanding more playing time rather than having a conversation, yelling at coaches, threatening to skip out of camp, not being a team player on game day when inactive, just some examples we can point to.

I dont think this is enough for me to want to trade Harvin, but I would be very reserved about giving him a big contract. I guess if there is uncertainty to his value financially, a decision needs to be made before his rookie deal expires.

To me, there are two options. 1) pay him now and do whatever you can to keep him happy; or 2) trade him now while he still has a cheap contract and a good amount trade value. There isnt a 3rd option to wait another year to extend him, in my opinion. I dont think Harvin's demeanor will allow for this.

Yes, this is sort of the way I see it. "Diva" is a poor term for it. He does not have a good grasp on how to behave professionally.

Peppers90 on the sig.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

At the same time, not speaking your mind to a coach can be just as wrong.

By doing that, you avoid 2 extremes: 1) Ignoring the problem, or 2) Blowing up the problem.

But sometimes when a situation comes up and a player is visually displeased with a play or the coaching, its hard to act in a civilized manner. People lose control of themselves sometimes.

I am not disagreeing with you. I don't think yelling at a coach will make anything better. Looks like me and Percy Harvin are on the same page. lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 15 of 36

Jump to: