Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oh, mercy...it's Percy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by CriminalMind on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I would need a draft pick around 17, for me to consider trading Percy Harvin.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it even matter whether or not Harvin fits the mold of a 'typical' top-10 WR? Why even bother trying to rank him traditionally? What he brings to the table does not really require this kind of evaluation, imo.

Peppers90 on the sig.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin is #1 as WR/KR/RB combination in the league.
Theres nothing traditional about Percy.
Molding and looking at Receiving Yards at the WR position, ignores the amount of value he brings in other facets of that.

Lets just say ranking the "traditional" positions Percy covers.

Traditional WR - Percy Ranks #16 (or so)
Traditional KR - Percy Ranks #1 (or so)
Traditional RB - Percy Ranks #20-25 (just a guess)

Now pay him a salary for each of these independently and then add them up for a total salary.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Molding and looking at Receiving Yards at the WR position, ignores the amount of value he brings in other facets of that.

Now pay him a salary for each of these independently and then add them up for a total salary.

That would be roughly $11 million per year.

That's if my math is right based on per year contracts from: Marion Manningham*, Devin Hester, and Ryan Matthews.

*I chose Marion Mannigham since he was a recent contract of someone considered to be a top 20 WR. Based on receiving stats rank alone: #15 Marques Colston's contract was ridiculous, #17 Lance Moore's contract was roughly $4million a year and that was double Manningham's. #16 Cecil Short earned under $500k this year so I thought was because it's rookie contract.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Does it even matter whether or not Harvin fits the mold of a 'typical' top-10 WR? Why even bother trying to rank him traditionally? What he brings to the table does not really require this kind of evaluation, imo.

Yes and no. It matters from a business perspective and his value relative to the rest of the league in terms of finding fair compensation. What is fair? That is kind of my point in all of this. Harvin isnt a traditional WR in a sense of what poeple expect a top 10 WR to be, in function. we can all agree on this. It just comes down to perspective and how valuable his role is. what is the financial value for his role?

Just to point out, Wes Welker has struggled to get a big contract and will likely be leaving New England this year for the same reason. If the Pats felt Welker was so valuable for his role as an underneath/YAC receiver, he would have been taken care of immediately. Welker's production is probably the peak of what Harvin has the potential to be, and even Welker who has produced, sill isnt getting the financial recognition.

Granted, Harvin is more explosive, a better athlete and faster, stronger and quicker; Welker does everything better football wise, ie route running, catching, getting open, etc. Welker has even developed into a decent perimeter receiver the past few years, and while certainly age does play a factor in his situation, there really is not a strong market inside receivers. I am also intrigued by Victor Cruz's situation, as a young slot receiver. Though Cruz is probably a step above Harvin in terms of production and worthiness of a big contract.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy's entering his prime playing years as one of the top threats in the game.

I think he deserves to be paid well, keep him happy, but not so much he's not hungry to get more. Tough to balance that with some of the drama he brings to a team.

That said, he's better than his comparisons of Josh Cribbs, Wes Welker, and Devin Hester when considering the total game each brings.

If Steve Smith of Carolina, when entering his prime, is Percy's closest comparison, then Percy should get more money than Smith . . . say split the difference between Smith and Fitz.

Yep, that would put Percy in the 7 or 8-year, $75 million ($20+ million guaranteed) category.

If he's not enamored with that offer, trade his butt next February. Cool
faceofflax15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
Percy's entering his prime playing years as one of the top threats in the game.

I think he deserves to be paid well, keep him happy, but not so much he's not hungry to get more. Tough to balance that with some of the drama he brings to a team.

That said, he's better than his comparisons of Josh Cribbs, Wes Welker, and Devin Hester when considering the total game each brings.

If Steve Smith of Carolina, when entering his prime, is Percy's closest comparison, then Percy should get more money than Smith . . . say split the difference between Smith and Fitz.

Yep, that would put Percy in the 7 or 8-year, $75 million ($20+ million guaranteed) category.

If he's not enamored with that offer, trade his butt next February. Cool

I say that's more than fair. Get him locked up as a Viking for the rest of Adrian's career. Two exceptional NFL weapons.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Yes and no. It matters from a business perspective and his value relative to the rest of the league in terms of finding fair compensation. What is fair? That is kind of my point in all of this. Harvin isnt a traditional WR in a sense of what poeple expect a top 10 WR to be, in function. we can all agree on this. It just comes down to perspective and how valuable his role is. what is the financial value for his role?

Just to point out, Wes Welker has struggled to get a big contract and will likely be leaving New England this year for the same reason. If the Pats felt Welker was so valuable for his role as an underneath/YAC receiver, he would have been taken care of immediately. Welker's production is probably the peak of what Harvin has the potential to be, and even Welker who has produced, sill isnt getting the financial recognition.

Granted, Harvin is more explosive, a better athlete and faster, stronger and quicker; Welker does everything better football wise, ie route running, catching, getting open, etc. Welker has even developed into a decent perimeter receiver the past few years, and while certainly age does play a factor in his situation, there really is not a strong market inside receivers. I am also intrigued by Victor Cruz's situation, as a young slot receiver. Though Cruz is probably a step above Harvin in terms of production and worthiness of a big contract.

Well put. I didn't consider it this way entirely before. The trickiness is in the financial uncertainty of the situation. All things considered, I would still break bank for him. I think with a better QB in the near future we will see even more productivity from Harvin - and that is an exciting thought.

Peppers90 on the sig.
Yfz01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
^ Where did I bring up Dwayne Bowe in this thread. I mentioned Vincent Jackson, simply as a means to get a fair judgement of what a "top 10" WR receives on the free agent market.

However, Bowe has had a lot more success than Harvin with similar or worse QBs. How many 1,000 yard 12+ yds/catch seasons does Harvin have vs Bowe.

Harvin is a high percentage WR simply because half of his passes are caught behind the LOS. Harvin is high % WR but he is also inefficient with those touches since he is averaging under 11 yards a catch.

I mean in general. You always talk about Bowe for some reason.

Well, Bowe only has two that meet your criteria. Harvin doesn't possess the bulk receiving stats, but if you include his rushing yards he got well over that number in 2010', and likely would have this year as well. This isn't even including his returning ability. Add in a lot more catches for first down, and I think what Harvin did is more impressive. I also think Cassel is (sadly) better than Ponder as a QB.

The third point is obvious. He catches a lot of plays at the LOS and makes things happen. It's a necessity when you have a QB that can't throw down the field. He's done most of this without another legit receiving option.

Lil Uno with the sig.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

I think the non traditional way we use Harvin is what will make this situation messy. The situation is similar to Wes Welker and the Patriots. While NE knows that Welker is productive for them, he isn't the traditional WR. I'm guessing what has been holding up the contract for 2 years now is that they can't agree on what he is worth as a gadget type player. Harvin will want top money and progress of the contract will be dictated by how much the front office thinks he is worth.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we consider Armon Binns, who was released by Cinci today?

He started the season as a starter, he couldnt be worse than Jenkins.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
Should we consider Armon Binns, who was released by Cinci today?

He started the season as a starter, he couldnt be worse than Jenkins.

Has to be an upgrade over Stephen Burton, why not.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way, I feel like I've seen a double standard around here. People have said for a while that we should trade Adrian because we're just wasting his best years here. Yet, you're not willing to do the same for someone who has voiced his displeasure with the team multiple times and has a pay day coming?!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
In a way, I feel like I've seen a double standard around here. People have said for a while that we should trade Adrian because we're just wasting his best years here. Yet, you're not willing to do the same for someone who has voiced his displeasure with the team multiple times and has a pay day coming?!

It stems from the perception that a RBs prime is short lived whereas a WR can play longer. Harvin realistically has another 7-8 years left, as for Peterson. Conventional wisdom says he probably has 2-3 years left of prime football, but in my opinion, all conventional wisdom must be thrown out the window for Peterson since he is so incredibly unique.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 13 of 36

Jump to: