Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The real issue is ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slateman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: The real issue is ... Reply with quote

A complete lack of talent on both sides of the ball.

That is the fundamental issue that is keeping the Redskins from winning games. Not playcalling, officiating, or coaching. It's the lack of talent on the field.

The defense has some good players. Kerrigan, Orakpo, Fletcher ... good players. Maybe even very good. But none of them are elite. None of them take over and dominate a game. Fletcher is the closest, but he's not there. Kerrigan and Orakpo have the potential, but they aren't there yet either.

The defensive line is nice, but it lacks a true NT. Being a 3-4, we don't need a whole lot of talent there, but it isn't good enough on it's own.

The secondary is maybe the worst in the NFL. Just a lack of talent all the way. Hall is, at best, a number 2 corner. Probably a number 3. Wilson is a borderline number 2. Gomes is okay, but really more of a backup. Williams is terrible. Crawford is a rookie. Basically, there is no one in that secondary that I would worry about throwing to if I were an opposing QB.

The offense ... is RG3. There's no other way to put it.

We have some nice potential at receiver, but there really isn't anything there that other teams fear without Garcon on the field.

The running game is good, but that's largely due to scheme and not talent. The offensive line is terrible right now. Take away Trent Williams and, as we all saw, it's pretty much useless. No depth at all at the tackle position. Minimal depth at guard. All in all, pretty weak.

There simply aren't enough good players on the field. Why? Well, mainly due to the terrible decision making in 2009. We talk about it being year 3 of the Shanahan rebuild, but in actuality, it's year 2. Combine that with the salary cap penalties (thanks Dan!) and you see the heart of the issue.
lavar703

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Alfred Morris is doing has a lot more to do with his talent than scheme.
Slateman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:

You're kidding, right?
lavar703

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

If you believe the scheme is helping Alfed Morris bounce off of defenders 3 yards into the backfield then I can't help you.
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

If you believe the scheme is helping Alfed Morris bounce off of defenders 3 yards into the backfield then I can't help you.

I'd be really curious about Alfred's yards after first contact, he always ssenma to shake off a guy and at least fall forward. Really a great find.

Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
lavar703

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

I'd be really curious about Alfred's yards after first contact, he always ssenma to shake off a guy and at least fall forward. Really a great find.

Apparently that has to do with the scheme....
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the lack of Talent IMO. It's about the inconsistency of our scheme, play calling, and deffense. I just can't get over how many time's we ran the same play over and over again in the 3rd quarter on Offense. Yes at first it caught the Bengals of guard, but when the caught on we still did the samething.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with slateman. We are in year 2 of a 5 year rebuild. We just don't have the talent quite yet to compete and win games consistenlty vs playoff teams. It's our talent level that we are still rebuilding and developing.

I think this offseason coming up is key. We must get our defensive backs and RT/back up OT situation fixed so that we can truly rely on them. Right now, I don't trust Polumbus to be anything more than a Stop gap and I don't trust any of our Dbs to do their jobs at all.

It's a personell problem and it's because Shanahan and Allen have ignored those problems the last three offseasons just like Cerrato did before him after Taylor died.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lavar703

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I agree with slateman. We are in year 2 of a 5 year rebuild. We just don't have the talent quite yet to compete and win games consistenlty vs playoff teams. It's our talent level that we are still rebuilding and developing.

I think this offseason coming up is key. We must get our defensive backs and RT/back up OT situation fixed so that we can truly rely on them. Right now, I don't trust Polumbus to be anything more than a Stop gap and I don't trust any of our Dbs to do their jobs at all.

It's a personell problem and it's because Shanahan and Allen have ignored those problems the last three offseasons just like Cerrato did before him after Taylor died.

I'm confused, how is this year two of the rebuild?
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Year one of Shan Allen wasn't a rebuilding year. They tried to upgrade the qb, RT, rg and defensive positions with old vets by trade or free agency. They traded 2 picks for McNabb who we found out wasn't a good fit with the Shanahan's and we traded 2 picks for a chronically injured RT. It wasn't a rebuilding year.

If we had just drafted players with all our picks in 2010 and kept the ones we traded away in 2011 we'd have more younger talent on this team today to work with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slateman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Because Shanahan didn't start his rebuild until 2011. He tried to make one last push in his first year by trading for McNabb
Slateman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, because it was definitely talent that has led to all those big rushers in the ZBS. Rolling Eyes

Morris is benefiting from big holes that allow him to get up to speed. That's why he's shaking off tacklers. Just about every running back in the league can do that. It's always about getting to the second and third level cleanly. That's what the ZBS does. Morris is just another in a long line of running backs to benefit from it.
footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Yes, because it was definitely talent that has led to all those big rushers in the ZBS. Rolling Eyes

Morris is benefiting from big holes that allow him to get up to speed. That's why he's shaking off tacklers. Just about every running back in the league can do that. It's always about getting to the second and third level cleanly. That's what the ZBS does. Morris is just another in a long line of running backs to benefit from it.

You and I must be watching a different game.

Morris is getting the snaps because there are significant issues up front and he always seems to fall forward for an extra couple of yards. He is used to having a poor O-line in front of him, and that has come in handy as they try to bring Royster and Helu back to health.

He had a couple of very impressive runs yesterday; he is proving that he is a find. If you think that is scheme...I wanted to say something, but truly I cannot even begin to respond. It's not scheme, period. No debate. It's akin to Clinton Portis trucking people even after the offensive line had collapsed - Alfred Morris and RG3 are carrying the running game through individual effort right now.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Footy and Lavar about Morris, he'd be effective in any scheme, same with Royster and Helu they are all 3 good young backs. They are talented. Let's go over this:

Qb- good
RB- good
Fb- good
Wr- good
Te- good
LT- good
Lg- good
C- ???
Rg- good
RT- ???

Defense. I think we are good for now except we need a new top cb, and a
#3. we also need to upgrade our starters at both safety positions still.

We really don't have much to do but we have to be focused in the offseason and make sure we get our main problems fixed or we won't impove as a team.
TKellion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I am amazed.You lose a couple games that could go either way and suddenly the world is ending.The entire rebuild is a failure.We all know that the defensive backs on this team are not up to snuff for this pass happy league.We all know that Polumbus is just a stop gap at RT and we have little good depth at OT.BUT we are averaging almost 31 pts a game so far.We couldnt muster 20 a game the last 3 years but we all seem to forget about that I guess.I am quite excited for the future and still think we can be a playoff team with a few breaks goin our way instead of against us.They will take care of our holes in the next 2 offseasons.we will be a deeper better team next year and in 2014 when we get our cap space back they can get 2 or 3 elite playmakers for which ever side of the ball they think needs it most.Which will put us in great position to make a 4 or 5 year run at it.I know we all want to win now.But chicken little the sky isnt falling Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: