Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Crennel doing Eric Berry a disservice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buckweath

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berry should be used in the exact same way that Polamalu is used in Pittsburgh.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckweath wrote:

Personally I would like to see him used in a similar role to how Ed Reed is used in the Baltimore defensive scheme. I guess that is what this thread is about.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Buckweath wrote:

Personally I would like to see him used in a similar role to how Ed Reed is used in the Baltimore defensive scheme. I guess that is what this thread is about.

Hey nic, you've recently been critical of Romeo for not being innovative. Would you not consider his use of Berry innovative. Effective is another discussion that we've kind of already had, but in this regard, and as I stated in another thread, his use of man coverage especially by his CB's, is innovative and at least a change from the typical FB 3-4 defense he was used to running.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
Buckweath wrote:

Hey nic, you've recently been critical of Romeo for not being innovative. Would you not consider his use of Berry innovative. Effective is another discussion that we've kind of already had, but in this regard, and as I stated in another thread, his use of man coverage especially by his CB's, is innovative and at least a change from the typical FB 3-4 defense he was used to running.

Bigs, man coverage without safety help is dangerous. And my issue with Crennel is not really an issue of being innovative or not, but more with understanding the NFL has changed and that it is going to be tough for a 2-gap scheme built with 2-gap players to be consistently effective in this day and age of the NFL promoted high powered passing games. I am not saying it positively won't work, but all I am saying is it is going to be tough to be a consistently top-tier defense with a bend-but-don't break scheme foundation. of course we can tinker with different subpackages, but if you have personnel that are tailor-made to 2-gap it is going to be tough to merge 1-gap capable personnel without splitting your depth between strictly 2-gap personnel and personnel that provide some more flexibility.

Maybe not an exactly similar situation, but it might be a little like Justin Houston being used almost exclusively in pass coverage. Could he do it? Yes. Could he make an impact being used in that way? Yes. But by all appearances he can make more of an impact when also used as a pass rusher. In both scenarios you have the potential for impact plays but when you put the player in a position to maximize his abilities and skill set you up the percentage of impact plays.

Maybe a more outside-of-the-box analogy, it might be like putting your best power hitting in the leadoff spot. He might be able to make an impact because he has a solid on base %, but would that impact be the same if he is used in either the #3 or #4 spot because of his ability to drive in runs?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: