Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Maclin still our best pure receiver?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Is Maclin still our best pure receiver? Reply with quote

PE must be salivating as he read this thread's title.

Maclin's presence was really missed yesterday and there's no denying this guy's threat inside the 20. But here he is going into the 4th week of his 4th NFL season as he has yet to crack a 1,000 receiving yards, no one will deny that we picked the wrong receiver that draft but one could argue he is the 3rd best.

Anyway, after seeing DeSean's new effort and the type of catches he is making too it makes me wonder if Maclin is still our best pure receiver, since DeSean seems to be the more consistent of the too and the toughest (which says more about Maclin being weak than DeSean being tough).

After this year I really don't know if we are going to extend him or not. We can't go with a WR core like the one we field yesterday for a whole season but Maclin has hardy set the world on fire nor is he a bust either and there's also the fact that we are over the cap next season (I think). We desperately need a tall physical presence at WR but we have enough needs as it is.

What do you guys think?

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
marky_b27

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is Maclin still our best pure receiver? Reply with quote

Broadway Joe wrote:

Maclin's presence was really missed yesterday and there's no denying this guy's threat inside the 20. But here he is going into the 4th week of his 4th NFL season as he has yet to crack a 1,000 receiving yards, no one will deny that we picked the wrong receiver that draft but one could argue he is the 3rd best.

Anyway, after seeing DeSean's new effort and the type of catches he is making too it makes me wonder if Maclin is still our best pure receiver, since DeSean seems to be the more consistent of the too and the toughest (which says more about Maclin being weak than DeSean being tough).

After this year I really don't know if we are going to extend him or not. We can't go with a WR core like the one we field yesterday for a whole season but Maclin has hardy set the world on fire nor is he a bust either and there's also the fact that we are over the cap next season (I think). We desperately need a tall physical presence at WR but we have enough needs as it is.

What do you guys think?

I don't think the necessarily need to be tall, just physical and able to out run linebackers (I'm looking at you Avant)

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
nlesthought

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is Maclin still our best pure receiver? Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Broadway Joe wrote:

What do you guys think?

I don't think the necessarily need to be tall, just physical and able to out run linebackers (I'm looking at you Avant)

PE would be salivating at both those previous posts.

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single human being on the internet, media, wherever that said that Maclin is or will be the Eagles #1 receiver, best receiver, or any reference to that mode of thinking is a CLOWN! I told all of you he was not better than Desean in any way and certainly was not a #1 receiver. Before I said that he was not better than Desean, I spent time telling everyone that all of the comparisons between him and Desean where Maclin was said, as an NFL prospect, to be a Desean 2.0 were erroneous. He's a Desean in terms of his limitations (inability to break tackles, inability to fight for the ball in the air, inability to take hits), but he doesn't bring Desean's ability to make a big play on special teams, carrying the football, or turning a short pass into a long touchdown.

Maclin is a solid NFL player, and so were James Thrash and Kevin Curtis...
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maclin out didn't help, but the fact that we don't run the ball consistent is the biggest damage on offense.

I think Maclin will break the 1000 yards this season, if he remains healthy, and Maclin still have another year left after this season.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
PowerElite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is Maclin still our best pure receiver? Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
Broadway Joe wrote:

What do you guys think?

PE would be salivating at both those previous posts.

I'm happy Andy will finally get fired for committing to garbage players like Jason Avant.

I see you Danny Watkins hiding at guard. Danny is lucky he is at a position the media doesn't care much about. Who notices an average to below average guard? That sort of player at that position could look like he's doing a decent enough job. But was it worth a 1st round pick? HELL NO!
PowerElite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Maclin out didn't help, but the fact that we don't run the ball consistent is the biggest damage on offense.

I think Maclin will break the 1000 yards this season, if he remains healthy, and Maclin still have another year left after this season.

Maclin will never have a 1,000 yard season.
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was a FA after this season? I guess that gives us one more year to look for a replacement or him putting the numbers to deserve an extension.

And I disagree PE. He is better than Kevin Curtis and James Thrash although not by much at this point. It looks like a broke man's Reggie Wayne.

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:

His inability to stay healthy, and the tendency of our QBs to pass to many different receivers means you are most likely correct.

However, no one can take away the 10 TDs he put up in his 2nd year. He may never be a clear-cut #1 NFL WR, but he is a good player.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not better than a healthy Kevin Curtis.
I didn't like the idea behind Kevin Curtis when he was here and that was turning a #2 or #3 into your #1. Desean is a natural #2 but since he has proven to be so fast he draws the attention of a #1 so your other WR should see plenty of single coverage. Curtis was a #2 or #3 depending on how healthy he was that week. Kevin Curtis was open a lot while here. Mcnabb and is inaccuracy issues just missed him. Vick tends to deliver the ball accurately when he sees the receiver.
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand how our organization, whose coaching staff has to plan for a guy like Fitzgerald, doesn't see the value in a physically dominant receiver.

I mean they gameplan for them, fail, even with our best corner, and yet they don't seem to understand the value of a taller, physical receiver.

It's like they aren't paying attention.

And I'm not saying a guys like Fitzgerald are easy to get, but we need to diversify our receivers by having a guy who will win physically and not rely on several speed guys.

I'm still a Maclin fan though, but obviously having him and Jackson in the same offense is a setback really for both players and the offense because they have the same weaknesses, and a defense tailored to those weaknesses can kill two birds with one stone.

Edit: phone posting typos

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
PowerElite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
PowerElite wrote:

His inability to stay healthy, and the tendency of our QBs to pass to many different receivers means you are most likely correct.

You add that in with his inability to break tackles, take hits, fight for the ball in the air, and take the top off of any defense shown to him. Maclin is also a big time body catcher. 1,000 yards for him will be more allusive than people think, especially as he continues to get slower.
nlesthought

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
I just don't understand how our organization, whose coaching staff has to plan for a guy like Fitzgerald, doesn't see the value in a physically dominant receiver.

I mean they gameplan for them, fail, even with our best corner, and yet they don't seem to understand the value of a taller, physical receiver.

It's like they aren't paying attention.

And I'm not saying a guys like Fitzgerald are easy to get, but we need to diversify our receivers by having a guy who will win physically and not rely on several speed guys.

I'm still a Maclin fan though, but obviously having him and Jackson in the same offense is a setback really for both players and the offense because they have the same weaknesses, and a defense tailored to those weaknesses can kill two birds with one stone.

Edit: phone posting typos

#signplax

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
LOLKevinKolb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still?

Has he ever been our best pure receiver?

He's a bigger, slight slower, far less sturdy version of DeSean

RainbowCarebear wrote:
And use the boners for soup to survive through the winter

Bird Watch: Keelan Johnson - one magnificent tackle
PowerElite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing Reid does in personnel is by mistake. He wants the small WRs just like he wants the short defensive players, except for at CB. Reid loves tall cornerbacks but doesn't show that same sort of affection for WRs. It's as if he hates tall talented WRs that have the short area quickness of smaller guys. Reggie Brown, Donte Stallworth, Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Freddie Mitchell, Jason Avant all define what Andy wants in a WR. Riley Cooper and Hank Baskett define what Andy wants in the designated special teams player at WR. Darnerien McCants and Billy McMullen fall into that last category as total failures.

BTW I think that it's time to get a new WR coach here in Philly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: