Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Two minutes left, have the ball... you go empty backfield??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Two minutes left, have the ball... you go empty backfield?? Reply with quote

I mean what kind of stupid freaking idea is that? McDaniels singlehandedly cost us the game killed multiple drives with some of the most idiotic playcalling I've ever seen last night.

We're moving the ball on the Ravens defense pretty well... HEY LETS DO A DOUBLE ENDAROUND FOR A TWENTY YARD LOSS.

Hey we're getting a whopping 1 yard per carry on these Woodhead draws... so lets do it 20 times!

These toss plays have net us negative yards in 5 tries, so lets keep doing it and keep putting Brady in 3rd in long!

You know, we could just force them to use their timeouts and run down some clock and force them into at best a 50+ yard FG with a kicker who has never kicked a big kick in his life, and if his real kick was any sign, would have missed it by 20 yards... But no, lets go empty backfield and give them some free timeouts.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They moved the ball by passing pretty well. I didn't care that they went emplty backfield to win the game.

I do have the problem with Josh McD. I guess he didn't learn his lesson from calling stupid trick plays from week 2.

I hope Belichick smacks him on the head repeatedly. I can't believe I'm missing Bill O Brien.
subherbanite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empty backfield in that situation is better than Woodhead being back there IMO. It's almost like the guy is playing "two hand touch", he went down quick almost every single time at first contact.

We've gotta figure out how to make these teams pay for loading up the box late and sending the house.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subherbanite wrote:
We've gotta figure out how to make these teams pay for loading up the box late and sending the house.

yup. isnt that where lloyd is supposed to be helping?
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if we had gained only two yards in those two rushes, we would have killed their last two timeouts and instead of a chip shot fg their rookie kicker almost missed he would have had to take a 50+ fg.

On top of that we wouldn't really have had to protect the middle of the field nearly as much as we had to since they had two timeouts and could pass there. With no timeouts and a minute left to drive 65 yards toget a long fg is a heck of a lot better than 1.5 minutes and two timeouts to drive 63 yards.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is that the gameplan was actually quite good. We were moving the ball at will early in the game by picking on Cary Williams and using Lloyd to get space on the perimeter as sort of the possession guy, opening up opportunities down the field for Edelman and Welker. It was a great plan.

And then we completely deviated from it.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those two incompletions on the final drive destroyed us. Even if we still couldnt have gotten the first down, we could of made the Ravens use all of their timeouts and give them significantly less time by running the ball with RIDLEY NOT WOODHEAD.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
a4ce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to Ridley? Tuned in late and all I saw was Woodhead. Hurt?
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a4ce wrote:
What happened to Ridley? Tuned in late and all I saw was Woodhead. Hurt?
Pats like Woodhead better in an uptempo no-huddle. Ridley isn't as polished as a route-runner.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
subherbanite wrote:

Lloyd, I believe, missed the last drive after getting injured on the previous drive

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Two minutes left, have the ball... you go empty backfiel Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
I mean what kind of stupid freaking idea is that? McDaniels singlehandedly cost us the game killed multiple drives with some of the most idiotic playcalling I've ever seen last night.

We're moving the ball on the Ravens defense pretty well... HEY LETS DO A DOUBLE ENDAROUND FOR A TWENTY YARD LOSS.

Hey we're getting a whopping 1 yard per carry on these Woodhead draws... so lets do it 20 times!

These toss plays have net us negative yards in 5 tries, so lets keep doing it and keep putting Brady in 3rd in long!

You know, we could just force them to use their timeouts and run down some clock and force them into at best a 50+ yard FG with a kicker who has never kicked a big kick in his life, and if his real kick was any sign, would have missed it by 20 yards... But no, lets go empty backfield and give them some free timeouts.

McDaniels sucks. It shouldn't surprise anyone. The guy is a total dud of a playcaller and it's been apparent since about week 9 or 10 of 2007.

His gameplans aren't always bad, but his in game playcalling, adjustments and strategy is abysmal.

IMO Bill O'Brien wins that game yesterday. If there was one thing he was good at was playing to the strengths of his players and trying to minimize the chances of failure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Two minutes left, have the ball... you go empty backfiel Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
subherbanite wrote:

Lloyd, I believe, missed the last drive after getting injured on the previous drive

Wasn't Slater our 3rd WR then? I'm a huge fan but that's really bad... i'd rather have a hobbling Gaffney instead.
mcmurtry86 wrote:
tonyto3690 wrote:

McDaniels sucks. It shouldn't surprise anyone. The guy is a total dud of a playcaller and it's been apparent since about week 9 or 10 of 2007.

His gameplans aren't always bad, but his in game playcalling, adjustments and strategy is abysmal.

IMO Bill O'Brien wins that game yesterday. If there was one thing he was good at was playing to the strengths of his players and trying to minimize the chances of failure.

McDaniels imo has been really well at scripting drives early really well and his adjustments are usually meh. I'm a fan of McDaniels but he hasn't been doing a good job at all. I'm hoping he's just figuring out weapons or something and can get it together. he looked way better as a playcaller in Denver than he does here. Only guy that he seems to be doing really well drawing up plays for is Lloyd.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: