Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Terrell Suggs Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 23499
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I don't think there's any chance Suggs plays against the Texans. Just now he started practicing on a very limited basis for the first time since late April, no preseason or training camp, and there is no way he's in football shape. My guess is that we see him for the first time in the Raiders game.


Yeah, that could be a tune-up game for Sizzle if you know what I mean Wink

#ThirdDownAndLongForDays
_________________


Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7414
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to play Pittsburgh is part of it. I also think it's the first game he plays since it's the next home game the Ravens have and there should be too much pressure on him playing against Oakland.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BareYourTeeth


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 1051
Location: I'm a machine Jerk!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:


If Pees were smart, we'd see him experimenting with the defensive front the Seahawks tend to use. Three big down lineman: Ngata, Cody, Kemo... with another quicker/faster DL playing DE. The down lineman in this role would have less responsibilities than a stand up edge threat in the 34 and wouldn't have to be as firm at the POA, so Kindle while not showing the development you look for as a LBer might be better served if we just tell him to put his hand into the ground and get after the QB. I think he could succeed given that role. We'd sit him on the line at LE- thus dealing with generally the less athletic OT and he'd have his right ear for hearing.

I'd then look to start Upshaw at SLB and Kruger at WLB with Ellerbe/McClain lined up in the middle. McClellan could then be our utility player and sub in at each of the LBers spots. McPhee could sub in for Kindle if we want to put more beef on the LOS in obvious rushing situations.


I like it. Question, where would Suggs go when he returns? LE?
_________________

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensfanRD


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1664
Location: Baltimore, MD (Land of the Greatness)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They better not rush him back. I will be very angry. Don't mortgage the future for temporary success. I don't think we win in Houston anyway with the way our D has been playing. We still have a few days for me to change my mind. But yeah, no need to Sizzle to play just yet as I don't believe he's ready. I can't see how he could be. Seems way too soon.
_________________

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:


If Pees were smart, we'd see him experimenting with the defensive front the Seahawks tend to use. Three big down lineman: Ngata, Cody, Kemo... with another quicker/faster DL playing DE. The down lineman in this role would have less responsibilities than a stand up edge threat in the 34 and wouldn't have to be as firm at the POA, so Kindle while not showing the development you look for as a LBer might be better served if we just tell him to put his hand into the ground and get after the QB. I think he could succeed given that role. We'd sit him on the line at LE- thus dealing with generally the less athletic OT and he'd have his right ear for hearing.

I'd then look to start Upshaw at SLB and Kruger at WLB with Ellerbe/McClain lined up in the middle. McClellan could then be our utility player and sub in at each of the LBers spots. McPhee could sub in for Kindle if we want to put more beef on the LOS in obvious rushing situations.


I like it. Question, where would Suggs go when he returns? LE?

Well when Suggs returns full time, we would play more in our base... and when we go 43 we should switch out Kemo and insert Suggs. Suggs can play the run so it should make using a beef lineup less imperative. But as it stands, if Suggs returns, I can't see us not starting him off with a snap count. Plus our base defense wouldn't change. We'd simply be experimenting with a new setup.. introducing some lineups and plays to the defense during the bye week and then rolling with it for the duration of the season for when we take Suggs out and want to show a different look to the offense. I haven't seen enough formation variety under Pees.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BareYourTeeth


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 1051
Location: I'm a machine Jerk!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:


If Pees were smart, we'd see him experimenting with the defensive front the Seahawks tend to use. Three big down lineman: Ngata, Cody, Kemo... with another quicker/faster DL playing DE. The down lineman in this role would have less responsibilities than a stand up edge threat in the 34 and wouldn't have to be as firm at the POA, so Kindle while not showing the development you look for as a LBer might be better served if we just tell him to put his hand into the ground and get after the QB. I think he could succeed given that role. We'd sit him on the line at LE- thus dealing with generally the less athletic OT and he'd have his right ear for hearing.

I'd then look to start Upshaw at SLB and Kruger at WLB with Ellerbe/McClain lined up in the middle. McClellan could then be our utility player and sub in at each of the LBers spots. McPhee could sub in for Kindle if we want to put more beef on the LOS in obvious rushing situations.


I like it. Question, where would Suggs go when he returns? LE?

Well when Suggs returns full time, we would play more in our base... and when we go 43 we should switch out Kemo and insert Suggs. Suggs can play the run so it should make using a beef lineup less imperative. But as it stands, if Suggs returns, I can't see us not starting him off with a snap count. Plus our base defense wouldn't change. We'd simply be experimenting with a new setup.. introducing some lineups and plays to the defense during the bye week and then rolling with it for the duration of the season for when we take Suggs out and want to show a different look to the offense. I haven't seen enough formation variety under Pees.


I don't know, I like that idea so much that I would like to see us switch to that lineup permanently. Laughing

Just looking at how well it works for Seattle using the players they have gives me confidence that our defense could excel under it. If Red Bryant can play well at the DE spot just imagine what Ngata could do and Chris Clemons is just a poor man's Terrell Suggs. The Seahawks do have more athletic and agile defensive tackles though. I also think Kindle and McPhee would succeed in a Bruce Irvin type role. I think next year, if we use that front when Suggs and the rest of our team are, hopefully, fully healthy our defense is back to being the best in the league.
_________________

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drd23


Moderator
Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Posts: 5128
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have the LBs to play that sort of defensive scheme imo because they'd basically be 4-3 LBs
_________________

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
We don't have the LBs to play that sort of defensive scheme imo because they'd basically be 4-3 LBs

Well not full time. But I think utilizing that particular scheme in rotation with what we're using would do well to correct our issues.

We actually ran a few plays of something very similar last season under Pagano in that 49ers Harbowl game.

The DL was: Redding (6'4" 315 lbs), Cody (6'4" 341 lbs), Ngata (6'4" 340 lbs), and IIRC Suggs played LE... we had as linebackers: McClellan (WLB), McClain (ILB), and JJ (SLB).

I think Kruger could excel as a WLB with his coverage skills/instincts as well as on blitzes he'd have the ability and explosion to get to the QB. Upshaw would be similar to JJ at playing the SLB role... not as experienced, but certainly has better athleticism at his command. He'd mostly be asked to simply take on blockers to play the run and get to the QB. It could give our defense an element of confusion as on any given play we could bring either Kruger or Upshaw to go after the QB and drop the other guy back into pass coverage.

And really, those LBers may not be high level guys in coverage... but they were never going to be great cover guys anyway, the least we can do is put more bigs on the line to try and collapse the OL and maybe have Kindle or Kruger/Upshaw matched up with a TE when the offense does decide to pass on 1st/2nd.

The fact that we should also be able to keep Pollard from having to be used up at the LOS like we've been doing for the past 3 games (with little success) would also be a boost to our intermediate coverage. Put Pollard in the box and then have him roam during pass, it should both boost the run and give another cover guy during passes. We still protect Reed by allowing him to play further back and not as close to the box as he's been doing for the past few weeks. We should be trying to give him every possible opportunity to rest his shoulder before the playoffs, so that he can once again be a force come playoff time.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmore4life815


Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 3429
Location: Climbing up M&T
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbaugh on Sizzle's status:

"If I knew, I wouldn't tell you, and I don't know that I know what I know, and I don't know, and I'm not sure and we'll have to see..."
_________________

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drd23


Moderator
Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Posts: 5128
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
Harbaugh on Sizzle's status:

"If I knew, I wouldn't tell you, and I don't know that I know what I know, and I don't know, and I'm not sure and we'll have to see..."


_________________

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group