Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coach Joe DeCamillis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Coach Joe DeCamillis Reply with quote

Thoughts and Opinions on him?

Without hesitation I admit I was excited when he first joined the franchise. I figured he would give us one of the better ST units in the league. So I don't know what is going on now with this unit. Maybe the stadium falling on him had something to do with it - but his unit is not excelling. Which is distressing given the massive focus we have on that unit. We have kept players solely because of what they do on ST - and cut productive individuals because of the lack of contribution they bring to the ST game.

The Tuna would always talk about hidden yardage. And boy is that killing us.

We have the 27th worst KR average with 20.9 yards.
Our long on KR is 29 yards. Only 3 teams have a worst long than we do.
We have the 27th worst PR average with 6.0 yards. [Just imagine what it would be if Dez didn't have an explosive 44 yard return]

Felix Jones gets a lot of hate on here (and rightfully so) but take Sunday's game. He tried to come out on a play and there was no block at all for him.

Another issue was having 12 men on the field. How does that happen?

Against the Bucs we almost saw another blocked punt because the line didn't properly block.

I will concede that our Gunners have been doing well. On the defensive side of ST we seem to be doing a decent job. C. Jones is also punting at a much higher level than I would have thought, so again I give him credit. And our Money kicker has been great. But the return aspect is brutal. Blocking as a whole.

BTB has some excellent articles

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/9/17/3344604/dallas-cowboys-losing-field-position-battle-seattle-seahawks-new-york-giants

Quote:
24, 28, 20, 20, 20, 20, 18, 26, 16, 20, 5, 14, 15, 29, 20, 21, 19, 30.

Those are the yardlines Dallas started the eighteen possessions they have had in the first two games. And none of them were in the short end of the field.

The average is 20.27. Which means that Dallas faced an average of less than a foot less than 80 yards to the end zone every time they got the ball in the first two games. The best position was at their own 30 - and that was on the supremely futile last possession of the Seattle game, when the Seahawks turned the ball over on downs with :36 seconds left in the game and a 20 point lead.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/9/19/3356516/dallas-cowboys-five-statistical-nuggets-to-stew-over

A nice little chart shows we are DEAD LAST in field position.

Again. It's not the coverage unit I take issue with. Since frankly I think we are doing a good job with that. It's the return game that I find frightening. And I do not like seeing the miscues we are having protecting our Punter.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it has more to do with what Coach D has to work with than his coaching.

^^Kiltman^^
Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last time the team had a decent returner? I do agree, however, the team has been putrid in the return game and has so for a while. Even with Bryant returning the punts, the Boys are still only average.

DeCamillis, though, has done a pretty solid job with the Boys in return coverage. However, this year, this has been at the expense of punt block protection with the team already having one punt block and at least 2 maybe 3 coming really close.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be a case where the Cowboys are forced to play some of their starters on the punt team... You can't have a blocked punt every week...
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kinda torn on DeCamillis. He is better than some of the ST coaches we've had. I like his fiery disposition and attitude that he brings to the coaching staff. I wonder how much of our lack of success on ST is due to the talent being lackluster?

In the end, I don't think it matters how any of us feel about the situation though. I kinda doubt Jerry Jones will fire DeCamillis anytime soon. You know, the whole broken neck thing.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
it could be a case where the Cowboys are forced to play some of their starters on the punt team... You can't have a blocked punt every week...

I know Connor whiffed on the block last week against Seattle..

^^^Deadpulse
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4698362/cowboys-special-teams-put-10-on-the-field-twice?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Quote:
The Cowboys also had a problem counting to 11 in a couple of instances on special teams Sunday. Joe DeCamillis' units twice had only 10 men on the field in the kicking game.

Color me frustrated.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Think it has more to do with what Coach D has to work with than his coaching.

I think the mental mistakes fall squarely on the coach. I remember in preseason, us giving Oakland a number of first downs, when they were in punt formation by getting stupid penalties. I thought Garrett had it, but with all the penalties, I'm just wondering if he either isn't a good head coach, or not a details oriented guy, and allows too much slack. I can live with a team being better than us, but the sloppy play just annoys the heck out of me.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets give him some talent at the KR position and see what happens...Felix has to go...same old song and dance...catch the ball and run straight until he gets hit...if he learned to look for holes and could juke somebody then maybe id say keep him...trade him or cut him...move on please!!!

Peace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: