Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BYE Week Discussion Thread: Where do we go from here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
@Ward: You're a great poster and all, but it seems like an overreaction. While, most of what you said holds true, this is still game 3, heading into a bye. Im sure if we pulled it out when we were leading 31-21, people would have a much different perspective right now. But can 1-2 quarters really change someone's perspective on how the whole season will go? We have the talent, it's just learning more of what we're capable of on offense and making some adjustments on D. It's really not that hard. We are a transitioning team from old talent to young talent, and some of the young guys can't hold their own yet, but hopefully they will. This is Carter's first time being a starter, besides maybe 1 game last year, so you have to give him some break. I think Mendy, Harrison, and Polamalu coming back wil re-energize this team. It will at the very least take Mundy off the field unless we're in a sub package.

It's not about the score...it's about how our D has played in the 4th Qtr. Even if we pulled out the win yesterday, my concern would not be different. So yes, it kind of does matter what happens in one or two qtrs, IMO. It's more about not being able to shut down an offense that the Dolphins were able to fairly easily.

As far as adjustments, I'm starting to agree with some others that Lebeau just is not making these adjustments as in years past. So I'm not confident that we will make the adjustments you mentioned.

I'm not necessarily getting on Carter...I'm just not confident he's a viable replacement for Harrison, this year, at least. Maybe Harrison and Troy coming back will energize the team; my point is that they've both missed substantial time last year and I'm not confident that they'll stay healthy the remainder of the year when they come back...then what, we are right back where we are now.

Overall, I'm saying that I don't see us being very good this year. That's really it. Maybe they'll surprise me, but right now, I'm not confident that they will turn this around this year.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all basically worried over the same things, just to varying degrees.

I believe a lot of the personnel will get better after the bye.

fundamentals should also improve.

The scheme won't be a perfect match for our personnel, but our D should be able to turn it on by year's end a little. It starts and ends with personnel, execution and fundamentals.

Next season, we will experience an influx of youth as well since most of our draft class this year is injured or redshirted. Accentuate a few positives brohim.

Thanks Lyasr 529
mosteelers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find it frustrating we must scheme a pass rush. We get nothing from the d-line. And little from the outside backers. It sucks we have to bring someone "else" to overload the offensive line before we get any pass rush. This also hurts our coverage.

I think we need in this order:
Safety
OLB
ILB

Didn't know where to put this. I also am perplexed at the Run blocking like everyone else. We all seem to be high on Haley right now, but maybe hsi schemes dont' fit our personnel? I don't know. It is odd to me that we would probably rank each of our lineman as a better run blocker than pass blocker with the exception of Pouncey however we cannot run block. Just strange to me.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hilarious on NFL Gen...

Every week, there are tons of games where people talk about how bad the officiating was. If the Steelers have calls go against them, its not really a big deal. You have a few people say something, but for the most part, no real issue. Yet if the Steelers get one call go their way when it probably shouldnt have, the Steelers are dirty, corrupt, and paying off the officials.

Then, if you have players who have helmet to helmet, its talked about but only momentarily. Yet if it happens to the Steelers, again, they are dirty and looking to injure people, even though if you take away James Harrison, it doesnt happen to our players any more than it happens to other teams players. I mean, this season, while Timmons and Mundy's hits were both flaggable and finable, it was clear both were not malicious. Timmons just used terribile form ala James Harrison when taking out Sanchez, and Mundy is just horrible and was going for a huge hit to knock the ball away.

All Im saying is its always hilarious to see the bias against the Steelers on the general. Usually, its the same group of haters....I can usually predict the idiots who are going to run their mouth....but its still comical how ignorant some are to the facts.

Like I said, I will openly admit when our players do something wrong or deserve a fine....but its clear there is a double standard with this team in many cases, and some are just blindly hating.

Sorry for the rant on this.....but more than the loss, I am more annoyed by the stupidity and hatred being spewed on this site...not just at the Steelers, but overall.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Every week, there are tons of games where people talk about how bad the officiating was. If the Steelers have calls go against them, its not really a big deal. You have a few people say something, but for the most part, no real issue. Yet if the Steelers get one call go their way when it probably shouldnt have, the Steelers are dirty, corrupt, and paying off the officials.

Then, if you have players who have helmet to helmet, its talked about but only momentarily. Yet if it happens to the Steelers, again, they are dirty and looking to injure people, even though if you take away James Harrison, it doesnt happen to our players any more than it happens to other teams players. I mean, this season, while Timmons and Mundy's hits were both flaggable and finable, it was clear both were not malicious. Timmons just used terribile form ala James Harrison when taking out Sanchez, and Mundy is just horrible and was going for a huge hit to knock the ball away.

All Im saying is its always hilarious to see the bias against the Steelers on the general. Usually, its the same group of haters....I can usually predict the idiots who are going to run their mouth....but its still comical how ignorant some are to the facts.

Like I said, I will openly admit when our players do something wrong or deserve a fine....but its clear there is a double standard with this team in many cases, and some are just blindly hating.

Sorry for the rant on this.....but more than the loss, I am more annoyed by the stupidity and hatred being spewed on this site...not just at the Steelers, but overall.

Thanks 43. because of this thread, James Harrison will be fined for a dirty hit in the Philly/Arizona game.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

Thanks 43. because of this thread, James Harrison will be fined for a dirty hit in the Philly/Arizona game.

James Harrison fined $21,000, staring too menacingly at the Quarterback from the sideline.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

A main reason I don't go into the General fourm...too much bias and stupidity.

I'd rather just stay in the steelers forum when I do make it on here.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

A main reason I don't go into the General fourm...too much bias and stupidity.

I'd rather just stay in the steelers forum when I do make it on here.

Well, if you look purely at that side of it, I see what you mean.

But there are alot of good posters on there, and as I said, I like to discuss things other than just the Steelers somtimes, especially when no one is posting much.

I will say that I really enjoy the Steelers forum on this site because the majority are good to great posters, but if you go to several Steelers only forums across the net, youll find its alot like the NFL gen here, mixed with a heavy amount of good posters and extreme stupidity. Thats why this is the only forum I post on anymore, but NFL Gen on gameday is so annoying.

I think when you have that many different people, youre bound to run into it, especially on a message board that anyone can join. The main thing that annoys me is that its the same people who do it over and over again. And as someone said before (I think it was JD)....usually its not the trolls themselves that get in trouble, but the people who respond to them.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope someone on the defensive coaching staff is watching the Aaron Rogers get sacked 8 times in the 1st half. For Pete's sake - attack the QB.

This ain't rocket surgery, nor is it brain science...., err wait...

So frustrating.

Thanks Lyasr 529
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasons to not get too down about our slow start is...
a) there is only one 3-0 team in the AFC right now
b) not a single team in the AFC looks truly dominant or unbeatable
c) We get 3 key players back after the bye week
d) LeBeau, as mentioned, has an extra week to look at what needs to be fixed
e) The teams above us in our division both have one loss, and the Bengals IMO are still just a team who will look great against mediocre teams but struggle when they face good ones.
f) Most AFC teams look like they could be sub .500 teams at this point...even the Steelers. But I think we have a better chance of turning things around than every team aside from the Pats.

The ones that concern me the most though are d) and e)

d) because I worry that LeBeau will not make any adjustments, despite how obvious it is that we need them. Unlike last year, when we played tons of crappy QBs that masked the issues to an extent, this year its easy to see what changes need to be made, but if LeBeau still doesnt see them or is unwilling to change...well, he absolutely needs to go. And e) mainly because the Bengals have an easy schedule at first and could easy start off hot. We need to make sure we beat them in 3 weeks...that could ultimately be one of the keys to the season right there.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMashMouthMike wrote:
I hope someone on the defensive coaching staff is watching the Aaron Rogers get sacked 8 times in the 1st half. For Pete's sake - attack the QB.

So frustrating.

Agreed...hell the Packers are using 4 rookies in certain packages on D.

While Heyward played 5 freaking snaps yesterday. Even if they're not ready for a full time gig, put them in a position to succeed...use their strengths.

Can't always wait the 2-3 years for them to be "ready"

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMashMouthMike wrote:

So frustrating.

As I said this offseason, D1ck has gone soft.

And yes...I know what I just said. Cool
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43's post calmed me down a bit - it makes a lot of sense. The I read Your post AFF and now I'm frustrated again. Laughing

McClendon supposedly played 3 snaps. Blink and you'll miss him. Tomorrow will be Tomlin's presser. If Hood tore his ACL I'm really gonna have a conniption. I'm not even worried about this secondary. We need a front 7 first.

Thanks Lyasr 529
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

hahahhahahahaha ! Well played sir. Thanks.

Thanks Lyasr 529
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SMashMouthMike wrote:

So frustrating.

And yes...I know what I just said. Cool

What do you think the cause of this is??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: