Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BYE Week Discussion Thread: Where do we go from here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjayex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense has some major issues.

O-line needs to learn to run block.

Imo, those two things are the major reasons we're 1-2. It's going to be sad if Ben, Wallace and Brown have an amazing year and we miss the playoffs.
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on run blocking and running game period. Just more consistency on positive yardage.

Make adjustments on Defense. It might be time to give others a chance if they are capable. I know Troy will most likely be back and there isn't much depth in the secondary but hopefully someone can step up and be better than Mundy. If not, that's pretty bad.

Hopefully with Harrison returning they will rush the passer with both he and Woodley.

Obviously try and create more turnovers.

More discipline. Too many costly penalties. I know they happen but we drives had stalled on O, Extended on D and it seems like every punt return there is some sort of penalty.

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Leader O'Cola

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Leader O'Cola wrote:
a good start would be canning Tomlin.

What a disgrace this team is, and it starts at the top.

Gotta love fairweather fans.

LMAO, where am I saying "F this team, they suck and I won't cheer them till they win again" ?

No, I'm just saying the best thing they could do long term, going forward is to cut dead weight. I gave a place to start.

Unless you are implying I'm fairweather to Tomlin ; you couldn't be more wrong if that's the case. I would have fired him after the "raise hell" debacle if I had the power.
Leader O'Cola

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many blown 10-point 2nd-half leads does Tomlin have under his belt now ?
stillersenat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leader O'Cola wrote:

How many wins and SBs does Tomlin have under his belt now?

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
Leader O'Cola

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Leader O'Cola wrote:

not enough.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.4 yards per play.
4.3 yards per rush.
6.9 yards per completion.
48 % conversion rate on 3rd down
25 points per game

1 INT
5 Sacks

Where is the Steel Curtain?

Thanks Lyasr 529
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leader O'Cola wrote:
stillersenat wrote:
Leader O'Cola wrote:

not enough.

Now you're just making yourself look silly

go be a Browns fan... they will fire their coach as often as you'd like.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Leader O'Cola

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Leader O'Cola wrote:
stillersenat wrote:
Leader O'Cola wrote:

not enough.

no, being silly is telling someone they can't be a "fan" of a team due to a disagreement about how the team is run or performs.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leader O'Cola wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Leader O'Cola wrote:
stillersenat wrote:
Leader O'Cola wrote:

not enough.

no, being silly is telling someone they can't be a "fan" of a team due to a disagreement about how the team is run or performs.

But no one ever said that. Your expectations for SB's must be really high. I don't think you can blame all those 4th quarter comeback leads on Tomlin. I think part of it is lack of execution on defense, part of it lack of adjustments made by Lebeau, and you're right part, a small part of it sometimes is poor time management.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said some in the game thread, but overall, we are not a good football team. We have great players, but they are not playing like a team, IMO.

How much has the loss of Ward, Smith, and Farrior affected out team? I honestly think that notion has at leasty some credence. I wouldn't have believed it 3 weeks ago, but now I do wonder a bit.

And those counting on Troy and Harrison? Both missed time last year and we still prevailed. We weren't great, but we weren't this bad either.
Worilds and Carter are disappointments. Mundy? OK, moving on. So Troy and Deebo will help, but I'm certainly not going to count on both of them not missing anymore time this year. They'll come back and may give us 3-4 wins at best, that w/o them, we'd lose, like this week.

Ben is on fire, but how long will that last? Will Mendy help? Or is it our OL that is the problem? Sloppy ball handling has to be fixed. Dwyer's and Brown's fumbles lost us this game--no doubt in my mind.

Special Teams is a joke. Why did they fire Everest? Big mistake IMO. He had our ST playing pretty decent last year, IIRC. This is going to cost us this season, just watch. When Swishy is our best ST player, well...

I really do not see any quick fixes. I think this year is going to be a rough one. I'm really not trying to overreact, but I honestly feel we are headed for a 7-9/8-8 season at best. This year is looking ominously similar to 2003. Ben may have a great statistical year, but this team is in disarray, IMO, on many levels.

Next year's draft needs to be, in Rds 1-3 in any order, ILB, OLB, FS/SS. How I see the AFCN final standings this year?

Ravens -- 12-4
Bengals -- 10-6
Steelers -- 8-8 (W=@Ten, Was, KC, @CLE, SD, CIN, CLE)
Browns -- 4-12

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ward: You're a great poster and all, but it seems like an overreaction. While, most of what you said holds true, this is still game 3, heading into a bye. Im sure if we pulled it out when we were leading 31-21, people would have a much different perspective right now. But can 1-2 quarters really change someone's perspective on how the whole season will go? We have the talent, it's just learning more of what we're capable of on offense and making some adjustments on D. It's really not that hard. We are a transitioning team from old talent to young talent, and some of the young guys can't hold their own yet, but hopefully they will. This is Carter's first time being a starter, besides maybe 1 game last year, so you have to give him some break. I think Mendy, Harrison, and Polamalu coming back wil re-energize this team. It will at the very least take Mundy off the field unless we're in a sub package.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really do not see any quick fixes. I think this year is going to be a rough one. I'm really not trying to overreact, but I honestly feel we are headed for a 7-9/8-8 season at best. This year is looking ominously similar to 2003. Ben may have a great statistical year, but this team is in disarray, IMO, on many levels.

Losing Farrior has hurt a ton, because we are stuck playing Foote and Timmons. Ward hasn't hurt a whole lot. Smith was done. Keisel needs to be benched, maybe Casey too. They fix some things on defense and this will be a good team again. We are having problems in our base D, schematically, personnel wise, and fundamentally. If we can somehow manufacture pressure and tighten up some coverage, we will be better than .500 (assuming Ben is healthy and Harrison is not done).

Regardless of the D, the offense is already fundamentally superior to Arians' O in a lot of important ways...TOP, Situationally, 3rd downs, Redzone, keeping Ben clean, etc.

Thanks Lyasr 529
grubs10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMashMouthMike wrote:
Quote:

Losing Farrior has hurt a ton, because we are stuck playing Foote and Timmons. Ward hasn't hurt a whole lot. Smith was done. Keisel needs to be benched, maybe Casey too. They fix some things on defense and this will be a good team again. We are having problems in our base D, schematically, personnel wise, and fundamentally. If we can somehow manufacture pressure and tighten up some coverage, we will be better than .500 (assuming Ben is healthy and Harrison is not done).

Regardless of the D, the offense is already fundamentally superior to Arians' O in a lot of important ways...TOP, Situationally, 3rd downs, Redzone, keeping Ben clean, etc.
We may not technically miss there play on the field but I definitely think their presence and leadership are missed. Not having farrior next to him might be why Timmons has looked so sloppy whether it be him overrunning plays cuz he's pressing too hard or not knowing his exact responsibilities. Ward Farrior and Smith are all hella good leaders that had been around for the past decade (roughly).

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of facts, The Steelers average draft position over the last 10 years is 24. Not much of a chance to get "playmakers" when a team drafts that lower over a long period of time. 2) the new rule for chop blocks effects the 2-gap style far more that the 1-gap style.

The 1st tells you that the league is cyclical and if a team drafts high for so long they will not get the playmakers that the lower teams get. Especially the way the Steelers draft.

kethnaab and I agree that the style needs to change. Unless the chop block rule is changed than 2-gap is basically dead. NT can not hold a position, read and react and protect their knees at the same time. They will go backwards when they are worried that guards and TEs are diving for their knees. They do not have the ILB to switch to a 1-gap quickly and they seem to have issues in moving to a hybrid defense. I do not think the Steelers move away from the 3-4 because they have many years in using it. But they need to change their style. And that does not happen over night but better happen in this offseason.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: