Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you trade Carpenter for a box of Girl Scout Cookies?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xXxHOUSEDxXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Selling out a season for a crack at one guy who is a totally unproven commodity is lunacy, from where I sit.

Yea, I'm sure that Colts fans are really upset that they were awful last year. Ten years from now when Andrew Luck is still slinging touchdowns all over the place those fans are still going to be crying themselves to sleep at night thinking about the 2011 season.

For the record, I'm not saying that any team should intentionally lose games. All I'm saying is that I'm indifferent if Miami wins or loses and actually think it's in the best long-term interest of the franchise if they lose.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Selling out a season for a crack at one guy who is a totally unproven commodity is lunacy, from where I sit.

Yea, I'm sure that Colts fans are really upset that they were awful last year. Ten years from now when Andrew Luck is still slinging touchdowns all over the place those fans are still going to be crying themselves to sleep at night thinking about the 2011 season.

For the record, I'm not saying that any team should intentionally lose games. All I'm saying is that I'm indifferent if Miami wins or loses and actually think it's in the best long-term interest of the franchise if they lose.

You realise of course that the Colts went to the playoffs for 9 straight years before Manning hurt his neck right?

Andrew Luck or no Andrew Luck, the 2012 Dolphins have Legadu Naanee. There's more to winning than adding one potentially great player.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZenZuki wrote:
This thread = Knee-jerk much?

There's enough blame to go around!

Sheesh!

It's not a knee jerk. I'm still bitter over the Cleveland game he lost us last year. 0 for 4!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

We get what you're saying but you shouldn't advertise that mentality so readily because it doesn't come across well no matter who the intended audience is. We all realize that there are silver linings to black clouds, BUT, if a person makes it seem that those silver linings are the most important thing in the world they won't have much of a congregation following them.

I agree with the fact that it seems unfair the Colts win for a decade and that Miami has been in the toilet for that time yet the Colts come away with maybe the best QB prospect in recent memory and not the Dolphins. It seems like somehow after all that suffering the Dolphins maybe could've earned that victory at least!? Well karma doesn't work like that.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer, right? Put like that the NFL world seems really unfair but it's not always as harsh as it seems. The Dolphins shouldn't have ever been in the position to be drafting Andrew Luck!

The Dolphins had 10+ years to draft the QB they should have and it's for that reason that the 'loss' of Andrew Luck seems to hurt so bad. Because we never addressed QB the way we should have we ultimately found ourselves hoping for something we didn't get.

That's a tough pill to swallow but it's a lesson to this franchise that you can't wait around for a decade or more and then put all your hope in that you actually get rewarded for being terrible. It doesn't work like that. Now is that Karma? I don't know. Call it what you want. The Dolphins only hurt themselves by being bad for so long.

But that's what's so short-sighted about hoping to lose. The chances you find success through it are much slimmer than the odds on finding continued failure.
Russ57

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's look at the Colts. They did a lot of winning with Manning at the helm. But what happened when he went down?

A well run team doesn't fall apart like that. A well run team can draft quality players late in the first round, year after year, and still replace their franchise players. There is a big difference between teams like the Colts and the Steelers. Some have the personal to scout and develop talent and some aren't so good at it.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

And I imagine Raiders fans are still drinking the purple juice to numb the pain of the JaMarcus Russell pick.

And Chargers fans still love to hear about Ryan Leaf selection.

Do you think 49er fans think they got value with Alex Smith as the #1 overall?

How about the Texans and David Carr. Do you think they wish they had Carr from the NY Giants bench?

How about Cleveland, do you think they are glad they finished in the basement of the NFL so they could pick Courtney Brown? Or Tim Couch the year before? Two straight years with the 1st overall pick and they got Courtney Brown and Tim Couch.

Yeah. No thanks. I'll take wins and I'll put more effort in to scouting and player development. Blue Chips are found through out the draft. The first overall pick misses quite often. Those who think its a sure fire selection have a short or blunted memory. Go look at the 1st overall picks yourself. Its NOT a sure thing.
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

And I imagine Raiders fans are still drinking the purple juice to numb the pain of the JaMarcus Russell pick.

...But...But...But...But ESPN did an article that said JaMarcus wanted to play football again!

Laughing Great post Merc. A few good things to think about there.
joeyL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

...But...But...But...But ESPN did an article that said JaMarcus wanted to play football again!

LOL this had me rolling too...

Its purple drank though... Very Happy

^^^packerbacker87, mad props yo.
"
This is America, the land of individualism, civil
disobedience and footballs that dont roll like the rest of the world wants them to"
Mercury22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeyL. wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

LoL. I think I just lost all street cred.

Smile
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
joeyL. wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Smile

Nah, it just went up! Wink
Mercury22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
joeyL. wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Smile

Nah, it just went up! Wink

LOL. I guess it had no place to go but up! Smile
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

So Losing all the time guarantees you top picks and great players right? Are you sure about that? I seem to remember the Lions having a top 10 pick quite a few years in a row and still have not become a good consistent team. Sure they put some talent on their team but how far has that taken them? If you think losing every year is the way to build a team, than you have a lot to learn.

First off right now, playing hard every game and building Ryan Tannehill's confidence is key for our future. Our three biggest needs can be had at a lot of points in the draft. OL, WR, and DE can be taken at any point in the draft.

Youkeep fighting and keep plugging every year. Keep fighting and see what your team is made of. That fight will carry over once you get your team in place and built.

UniversalAuthor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: