Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 4: VIKINGS (2-1) at Lions (1-2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets keep this thread directly related to the game and not let it turn into another Ponder debate. We have another thread for that. If you want to discuss Ponder's performance directly related to the Lions game, go for it.

Thanks!
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also happy birthday to Marcus Sherels! What a day to return a punt for a TD Smile

#TankItTeddy
perrynoid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TearsOfPurple wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Suh continues to unimpress me.

And where's everyone would said we should of gotten Fairley instead of Ponder? Never understood that argument...

I confess I was one of those people; glad to admit I was wrong.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how the oc is good, when thy score zero offensive touchdowns, but I loved that late fade call.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Not sure how the oc is good, when thy score zero offensive touchdowns, but I loved that late fade call.

There is more work to be done on offense, clearly. I expect to see a few more games like this one with the offense struggling. Its very common with young teams and QBs. The thing about games like today is that its essential to have strong defense, a strong run game, avoid turnovers and catch a break or two. MN did those things.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I was responding to an earlier post. It is also why I want more defense drafted.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
But its not like Ponder is so bad he can't go deep. He showed we can rely on him when needed so far.

Either way, we need to get Percy involved more in the offense in different ways.

I can't agree with the first statement. It's not that he's "so bad" he can't make the deeper passes work; it's that there is so little evidence of him even throwing deep downfield that we have next to no idea how successful he can be doing it consistently. I actually have no clue what you're referencing when you say he's already shown he can do this.

i didn't direct that towards any single person, allthough there does seem to be some fans that believe we dumb down our offense for Ponder, rather than him just constantly checking down. Basically, that tells me that those people think Ponder can't play in the NFL with a full playbook, which just isn't true.

But either way, we need to work Harvin down the field, and not all these 2 yard passes.

down but not out. I still believe!
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I am surprised the Vikes tried very few short passes to Harvin.

It's not that surprising, actually. Ponder tried one in the first quarter I believe and it nearly went for 6 the other way. Teams are going to catch on to that strategy very quickly now. We'll have to start peppering that play in infrequently now and focus on finding other ways to keep feeding Harvin.

Very good point. It will really be up to Simpson to stretch the field to keep those short passes open for Harvin.

The guy we didn't get involved enough today is Rudolph.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offensive troubles were probably my bad, I decided to start ponder and rudolph today over Eli and Davis...the football gods had to get me back lol

Thanks to Jgoldiscool for the sig
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudolph and Harvin both need to get more looks down the seam, post and down the middle of the field. We dont see enough of those shots.
dc_vikingfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid performance by defense and superb job by special teams. It's not pretty on offense but accepted this is the way they will need to play this season. I expect and hope as they jell together they will eventually grow and evolve into a team that will take chances deep.

Watching the Bus vs Skins game I did see attacking instead of prevent can kill you as well. RG3 kill the bucs who was blitzing. There pros and cons to both end of game strategy prevent vs attacking
Robb_K

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Adrian on the short pass worked decently, today. It will work better once he's back to 100%, and trusts push-offs off his "bad" leg.

Using Simpson on those 3 long pass routes helped open up the game underneath. We need more of that, and more middle and longer middle routes to Rudolph and Harvin.

The offensive line had some trouble (especially in pass protection), but isn't that mostly because Detroit's defensive front line is above average in rushing skill, speed and quickness?
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robb_K wrote:
Using Adrian on the short pass worked decently, today. It will work better once he's back to 100%, and trusts push-offs off his "bad" leg.

Using Simpson on those 3 long pass routes helped open up the game underneath. We need more of that, and more middle and longer middle routes to Rudolph and Harvin.

The offensive line had some trouble (especially in pass protection), but isn't that mostly because Detroit's defensive front line is above average in rushing skill, speed and quickness?

Completely agree. They don't throw across the middle enough! Watched Brees play today and it always seems like the majority of his passes are across the middle, and it works extremely well. (Not comparing the 2, comparing the play calling)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall hearing Suh's or Fairley's name at all today. Did they even play? Have they disappeared this season or did our line play that well against them?
disaacs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cantwin1 wrote:
I don't recall hearing Suh's or Fairley's name at all today. Did they even play? Have they disappeared this season or did our line play that well against them?

I listened to it on XM (the Lions' home radio broadcast)...I recall Fairley's name getting called...after getting burned trying to arm tackle AD.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 44 of 47

Jump to: