Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Confidence in Jason Garrett?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"You have the option of saying, if you continue to get penalized you are going to be out of the lineup or off the football team," Garrett said. "Trust me, we're gonna get it right."

I liked that quote.

^^^mack
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The start of the article was terrible since Landry and Johnson both took over rebuilding clubs (or in Landry's case a brand new football team). Garrett took over a team that had quite a bit of talent.

JJT acknowledges that Garrett is consistently making the same mistakes. The team is still making the same mistakes. This shows a lack of growth by Garrett as a head coach. At some point, progress needs to be evident. I'm not sure that can be said given the constant penalties and mental mistakes, how this team tends to come out flat at the start of games or the 2nd half, and the lack of in-game adjustments.

Now, I'm not ready to see him fired, but changes are needed to help him develop. For starters, we've all wanted to see the team hire a full-time OC that would have complete control over the offence. Garrett has struggled to be a head coach and an OC, and this is reflected in his poor game management.

Second, the team needs to hire one or two assistant coaches with head coaching experience, thus giving Garrett a confidante and a mentor. Being an OC under Wade Phillips isn't exactly a great internship.

Garrett might develop into a great head coach in time. However, there seems to be something missing - that extra "gear" or extra degree of intensity. The best coaches in the history of the game had that intangible, even the most mild mannered ones, where after a player made a mistake he would look the player in the eye and not have to say a word to get his point across. Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Tony Dungy, and current coaches Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, Jeff Fisher, etc. all had / have this ability. If Garrett can develop this (which he could if he just focused on being the head coach), he could be a great one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="TheStarStillShines"]The start of the article was terrible since Landry and Johnson both took over rebuilding clubs (or in Landry's case a brand new football team). Garrett took over a team that had quite a bit of talent.

I feel like one could easily argue that Garrett was walking into a dumpster fire don't you think? This team was in shambles. Yes, we had some talent on offense, but we severely lacked talent on defense and the character and attitude of this team was atrocious. I fully consider what Garrett has done in his first 2 (almost) seasons as rebuilding this team.

Quote:
JJT acknowledges that Garrett is consistently making the same mistakes. The team is still making the same mistakes. This shows a lack of growth by Garrett as a head coach. At some point, progress needs to be evident. I'm not sure that can be said given the constant penalties and mental mistakes, how this team tends to come out flat at the start of games or the 2nd half, and the lack of in-game adjustments.

At some point it becomes the player's responsibility to not commit the penalty. Do you not think Mr. Detail Oriented Garrett stresses penalties and mental toughness in practice every single day? Now, JJT is right in that Garrett has to start benching or cutting people to make his point and Garrett, to his credit, sounds ready to do that. But he hasn't really had the room on his roster to do that last year due to the complete lack of depth on the team. Do you bench people in favor of a much lesser talented player and risk losing the game?

Quote:
Now, I'm not ready to see him fired, but changes are needed to help him develop. For starters, we've all wanted to see the team hire a full-time OC that would have complete control over the offence. Garrett has struggled to be a head coach and an OC, and this is reflected in his poor game management.

I 100% agree that a true OC needs to be hired.

Quote:
Second, the team needs to hire one or two assistant coaches with head coaching experience, thus giving Garrett a confidante and a mentor. Being an OC under Wade Phillips isn't exactly a great internship.

Isn't this what Callahan was brought in for? I'm questioning Callahan's ability right now as well. Where was he when a decision needed to be made on Sunday?

Quote:
Garrett might develop into a great head coach in time. However, there seems to be something missing - that extra "gear" or extra degree of intensity. The best coaches in the history of the game had that intangible, even the most mild mannered ones, where after a player made a mistake he would look the player in the eye and not have to say a word to get his point across. Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Tony Dungy, and current coaches Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, Jeff Fisher, etc. all had / have this ability. If Garrett can develop this (which he could if he just focused on being the head coach), he could be a great one.

I agree there is some little thing missing from Garrett right now. But I think he needs some more time and he will get this right.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: