Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Binge Brings Groves Success

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Binge Brings Groves Success Reply with quote

The visit, Quentin Groves thought, would be a precursor, not a misfire. The Cardinals linebacker was a free agent for the first time, knowing he hadn’t performed as he should for four seasons since coming out of Auburn. Reality, though, was still to come. He worked out for the New York Giants – the Super Bowl champions – and instead of a contract offer, got a mental slap.

“You’re not athletic enough to play in our scheme,” Groves was told, and while he was reeling from that, a trip to Miami left the Dolphins telling him nearly the same thing. Groves, who lived in Jacksonville thanks to his stint with the Jaguars when he came into the league, drove home the 300-plus miles searching himself for answers.

He was lucky enough to find them. Groves went on a “three-month binge” as he called it, although it was a reverse binge. “I took all the b.s. out of my life,” he said. The linebacker signed with the Cardinals during that time, and from the start, coach Ken Whisenhunt would talk about how Groves was a good fit for the defensive scheme. For a man still stinging from the words he had heard on his other trips, it was pleasant to hear.

His binge was absolute. Gone were the nights out. Gone was the drinking. “Had to eliminate some people out of my life” too, he said, and then he buckled down on his fitness and diet. The first four years of his career, he took for granted. No longer.

“I didn’t study as much as I should, not putting in the extra film work as much as I should, not taking care of my body and eating right as much as I should,” Groves said. “By the grace of God, I’ve been an exceptional athlete. To be drafted in the second round and coming into the league, I got complacent. Now I’m back on my grind, doing the little things better. Instead of going home and picking up a video game, I pick up my playbook or pick up my iPad and watch film.”

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Binge-Brings-Groves-Success/2b649e3c-e3c0-435a-93b9-d6a6117871ba

Very happy to see the guy, who I really liked coming out of Auburn, turn himself around and dedicate himself to a game that doesn't last for long for players.

Kent Somers has hinted that Groves could start eating more and more into O'Brien Schofield's playing time. Is anybody buying that?
DRC29 INT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure .. Schofield has done pretty much nothing.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect. This can springboard him into not only starting one day, but also establish him as a veteran who can mentor rookies coming into the league. Good for Groves!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groves was pretty special in college, stunk so far in NFL.

I can see him getting more reps, at least our depth is better now.

BTW Haggans got 3 games for DUI, seems like our FO is hitting them out of the park atm.
younggun1273

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has played well. You say that you want to play the best players and he has been making plays. I think he has looked sharp, so give him some time on the field.

Justo on the sig
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line, we're not 2-0 without Groves.

BTW, for all the complaining about our free agent crop this year, I'd say we made out pretty well with the likes of Groves and Gay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groves has been a good pickup thus far in Week 2. Replacing Haggans mentally is a task in itself but he's grown into the scheme so far and is obviously athletically talented.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the pick up, I wanted Groves back in the draft. He is a natural 34OLB but has either played 43 DE or OLB. Keep up the good work

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBS played 50 snaps yesterday, Groves played 14.

All the talk of Groves beating out OBS seems crazy now. Or at the very least extremely premature.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought O'Brien Schofield had a good game playing in the eagles. In both pass rush and run stopping.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groves is a backup and ST demon.

I like the fact he can step in occassionally for Acho and OBS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: