Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why no 10 second runoff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Why no 10 second runoff Reply with quote

Anyone that can explain those two non-calls at the end, I would appreciate it. otherwise I will assume that the refs just *#$* up those calls and almost gave RG3 a chance to tie or beat us.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ref announced the 10 sec run-off but the clock didn't move from 1:07 to 0:57 like it should've, but the next play started at 0:54, so i think it worked out right.

RG3 got a shot there because we gave up five consecutive first downs to dump-off passes underneath. Playing the 'prevent' nearly 'prevented' us from winning the damn game.

Thank god Geno, MJ and Carlos stepped up with those last couple of rushes to push them back.
theJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get one "fourth" timeout with under 2 minutes if you're out of timeouts and have an injury, from what i understand.

As for the last one with 7 seconds left, there is no runoff because the clock was stopped from the previous play.

I think it was officiated correctly, though it was messy and they didn't explain it very well.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
futbudds

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it me or was the clock still running after the skins kept running out of bounds? I was in a bar with a ton of jags fans so it was hard to keep focus at the end there but I didn't understand most of the last four minutes.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just watching it. It should have been a run off. The clock was running from the previous play. The injury happens. It should have been.

All of a sudden it is announced there is no run off but I don't know why. The clock never had a runoff. That's really weird. Luckily nothing happened because of it

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
I'm just watching it. It should have been a run off. The clock was running from the previous play. The injury happens. It should have been.

All of a sudden it is announced there is no run off but I don't know why. The clock never had a runoff. That's really weird. Luckily nothing happened because of it

Like i said, i think you get a free fourth "timeout" under 2 minutes if you have an injury and no timeouts. Notice if you watch the replay that the clock starts running when the Skins approach the line.

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:

Like i said, i think you get a free fourth "timeout" under 2 minutes if you have an injury and no timeouts. Notice if you watch the replay that the clock starts running when the Skins approach the line.

I get announcers don't know everything but it would be nice if they knew that and were able to explain to us

theJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
theJ wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:

I get announcers don't know everything but it would be nice if they knew that and were able to explain to us

Yeah that bugs me too. Seems like they also don't know some of the rules surrounding helmet to helmet and pass interference. On one particular play on Sunday a PI was called on an incidental trip (or maybe it wasn't called, don't remember). The announcers went on for 30 seconds on how that was PI.

Feet getting twisted isn't PI!!!!!

I will say though, on that injury play, the clock probably should have started sooner. By rule, i believe they have to start winding as soon as the ball is placed. They didn't start winding until RGIII and Co. were halfway to the line (several seconds after the ball was spotted).

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
theJ wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:

Yeah that bugs me too. Seems like they also don't know some of the rules surrounding helmet to helmet and pass interference. On one particular play on Sunday a PI was called on an incidental trip (or maybe it wasn't called, don't remember). The announcers went on for 30 seconds on how that was PI.

Feet getting twisted isn't PI!!!!!

I will say though, on that injury play, the clock probably should have started sooner. By rule, i believe they have to start winding as soon as the ball is placed. They didn't start winding until RGIII and Co. were halfway to the line (several seconds after the ball was spotted).

I think on the PI's you are referring to, there was 1 on Rey Rey in which feet got tangled and he was flagged which was BS. But the other one was with Pacman and Mays on Hankerson. The announcers were complaining about the feet getting tangled with Pacman, which shouldnt be the case. However, they probably could have called it on Mays and I wouldnt have argued too much.

These refs have no control on the timing or discipline right now. The players control the flags and its embarrassing.

LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
These refs have no control on the timing or discipline right now. The players control the flags and its embarrassing.

I dunno, I'm enjoying these replacement refs.

IIRC we had alot of terrible calls with the regular crews; (remember the ridiculous call on Greshams TD in BAL last year). These replacement guys are throwing fewer picky flags and letting guys play. The Pats Ravens game was a wild one last night; almost anarchic; with both teams and their coaches testing how much they could get away with.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:

I dunno, I'm enjoying these replacement refs.

IIRC we had alot of terrible calls with the regular crews; (remember the ridiculous call on Greshams TD in BAL last year). These replacement guys are throwing fewer picky flags and letting guys play. The Pats Ravens game was a wild one last night; almost anarchic; with both teams and their coaches testing how much they could get away with.

While I have issues with the normal refs, the replacement refs are making the sport a joke. It's 1 thing to mess up a TD call, but where they have fights all the time, you almost know every penalty or call is wrong and worry about player safety like you have to, something is wrong. This refs just are not qualified for this job and shouldn't be doing it.

INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite was Cary Williams or LaDarius Webb repeatedly smacking Edelman in the helmet/face, right in front of the side judge. Of course, no flag.

This garbage will continue until a major player from a big market team gets hurt in a melee. Imagine how much more NE fans would be upset if Brady got hurt in one of those scrums (and as much as I dispise the Patriots, they got hosed all night by the refs).
futbudds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem that I see is how the games are getting out of hand and by the end its total chaos. And how the home team and fans are swaying so much of the calls the refs make. The refs in the jags colts game yesterday were completely atrocious, the colts were offsides and took a shot on Gabbert, the o lineman pushed him off of the qb when they were on the ground (nothing out of the ordinary) and the colts DT gets up and pushes back which starts a ruckus.

The hilarious thing was the replay showed the official throwing the flag right after the colts DT shoved the jags o lineman but after they finally stopped the shoving match between both teams they gave the call to the colts and killed the drive. Instead of first and five from the colts thirty it became second and twenty five from the other side of the fifty.

I know the regular refs get part of the blame but goodell is making a joke out of this league.
HangOnSloopy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengals RapidReports ‏@CBSBengals

FWIW, the NFL acknowledges there should have been a 10-sec runoff with the injured Redskin at 1:07 Sunday.

"Work Hard, Play Hard"
daboyle250 on the sig!
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the false start with 7 seconds. They committed it. That situation is the exact reason the darn rule was put in place from the beginning. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: