Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

House of Suhs 2012/2013 Plus/Minus thread!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
House of Suhs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: House of Suhs 2012/2013 Plus/Minus thread! Reply with quote

Just looking for Post Game Analysis throughout this season.

Use a + when mentioning a good trait
Use a - when mentioning a bad/brutal/2008 lions trait

Week 4 vs Vikings

The Good

+ Matthew Stafford: "What? BUT HE DIDN'T EVEN THROW A TOUCHDOWN!" Stafford played a good game; it could've possibly been a great game; but what prevented that from becoming reality will be covered below.

+ The Defense: Didn't give up a touchdown! Gunther came up with some impressive playcalling! The only coach I'm happy with today.

The Bad

+ Offensive playcalling: We're way too conservative, and it feels like our game plan doesn't take advantage of our offensive weapons until the fourth quarter rolls around. This is unacceptable, and perhaps it's time for Linehan to go.

The Ugly

-Special Teams: They give the word special a terrible reputation. What is it now? 5 or 6 return TDs given up this season? They're costing us WINS and they're only on the field for all over 2 minutes a game. FIRE CROSSMAN NOW.

-DROPS: Catch the ball. Stafford was throwing some absolute GEMS this game, and no one could come up with them. We're leading the league in drops by a mile at this point; it's actually pathetic.

-GOAT OF THE WEEK (Bill Bentley): Learn to turn your head kid. You gave up a big first down, and what? Over 90 yards in pass interference calls? I miss Eric Wright Sad

The Future?

-Looks like we're in for a long season. If we dont get at least 7 wins this season; I can see Mayhew cleaning house.

Week 3 vs Titans

The Good
+Second half offense. For whatever reason the offense, regardless of who is in at the QB position apparently, takes off once the third quarter starts.
++Hanson. He's still got it!
+++++++Leshoure, if he keeps this up; we may have our feature back.

The Bad
-First half offense. Yeah, we picked up 154 yards, but we couldn't finish off a drive with a TD if our life depended on it.

The Ugly

-The coaching. Come on now! Ineptitude from the top down. Special teams was clueless, defense was abysmal, and we went for the first down in OT when we could have tied it! Oh; and on top of that, not only did we go for it, but we went with the wrong play when going for it. Leshoure has a better chance of pounding that in than Shaun Hill ever could hope for.
-The pass defense. We let Locker have a Joe Montana type game. If we face any of Chicago/Green Bay/Even Minnesota with that type of defensive effort; we're toast.
- PENALTIES. How many points did that cost us this game? Tulloch, Bently, and Pettigrew cost us so many points it is actually unfathomable.
-Pettigrew. I know it's in bad taste to pick out a single goat for the game; but Pettigrew deserves it. Cost us key catches, key yards, and that fumble TD. He better carry this team on his back next week if he wants to make up for this performance.

Alright, have at it.

All credit of this sig goes to Delphem

RyanFuller003 wrote:

If there were a Hall of Failure, Matt Millen would be a first-ballot lock.

Last edited by House of Suhs on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
m0town12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew is worthless. I would cut him.

His hands are terrible. He can't make ANYONE miss. Why does he always try to JUMP!?
DetroitWhat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0town12 wrote:
Pettigrew is worthless. I would cut him.

His hands are terrible. He can't make ANYONE miss. Why does he always try to JUMP!?

lol I wouldn't go that far. He is average. Shows flashes of brilliance then does something that a first round pick should never do. I can't say mayhew proved anyone wrong by drafting pettigrew but hes not a bust.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew isn't Gronkowski, but he's a very solid TE. He didn't have a great day, but he's certainly better than a lot of people give him credit for.

Team Stylish313
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
Pettigrew isn't Gronkowski, but he's a very solid TE. He didn't have a great day, but he's certainly better than a lot of people give him credit for.

Pettigrew had probably the worst game of his career today. It was a stinker but he did manage to grab 8 balls.

I agree with your analysis. I would certainly have him solidly in the top 15 tight ends in the league. People forget he isn't like some of the tight ends in the league that are really just big receivers. Pettigrew can block and isn't afraid over the middle. It's just when he screws up, such as with the strip fumble today it infuriates everyone.

I think a number of fans were expecting him to be the best TE in the league given he was a first round pick. With those type of expectations he will never make fans happy.

Lions fans also have the players they love to hate. In years past it was Backus. Then it was Cherilus. It appears, at least for a few weeks Pettigrew is the player that will receive the fans scorn.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew was dare I say PHENOMENAL!

Shocked

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
Pettigrew was dare I say PHENOMENAL!

Shocked

Laughing
Honalulufan20

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of the above, i think that people in this forum give WAY too much credit to Pettigrew than he deserves. He's terrified of contact and because it that he alligator arms throws over the middle, not too mention that fact that he has terrible hands in the first place. If he had even average hands he would haul in 120 receptions a year. I think that people put too much emphasis on the fact that he gets 80 grabs a year and understate or forget about the 40 passes he drops.

In addition to the fact that he has elbows for hands he isn't a great player after the catch. He can't run anybody over despite being 6'6 260, he isnt fast enough to beat even the slow linebackers and he isn't quick. The catches that he miraculously reels in rarely go more than 2 yards farther from the point where he caught it.

The area where he does succeed is being a blocker, he is a very good blocking tight end, but to keep him on the roster just so he can serve that purpose is a poor decision considering that blocking tight ends are dime-a-dozen even in todays passing league.

What a waste of a 6'6 260 frame.

diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honalulufan20 wrote:
I agree with all of the above, i think that people in this forum give WAY too much credit to Pettigrew than he deserves. He's terrified of contact and because it that he alligator arms throws over the middle, not too mention that fact that he has terrible hands in the first place. If he had even average hands he would haul in 120 receptions a year. I think that people put too much emphasis on the fact that he gets 80 grabs a year and understate or forget about the 40 passes he drops.

In addition to the fact that he has elbows for hands he isn't a great player after the catch. He can't run anybody over despite being 6'6 260, he isnt fast enough to beat even the slow linebackers and he isn't quick. The catches that he miraculously reels in rarely go more than 2 yards farther from the point where he caught it.

The area where he does succeed is being a blocker, he is a very good blocking tight end, but to keep him on the roster just so he can serve that purpose is a poor decision considering that blocking tight ends are dime-a-dozen even in todays passing league.

So much over reaction. Pettigrew isn't the flashy guy but he caught the same percentage of targets as Jimmy Graham. They both caught 66% of targets last year. For comparison purposes CJ caught 62% of targets.

The Lions have a pretty fabulous receiver in CJ, don't you agree?

So far this year he has 24 receptions and 52 yards after catch or an average of 2.16 yards after catch.

Old waddling Pettigrew has 16 receptions and 41 yards after catch or an average of 2.56.

I think it's fair to suggest you're less than objective where Pettigrew is concerned.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. 80 receptions from a blocking TE isn't enough? We need him to have 120? No wonder he's hated... the expectations are clearly too high.

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can live with Grew, I just believe he is highly overrated here in this forum.

PFF had him ranked as the #45th overall TE in the NFL last season. Reasons??? He was by far the worst TE in the league for committing penalties, and he actually graded out negatively in run-blocking. His pass-blocking was by-far his strongest attribute.

He does a ton of good for our offense, but he also has a bunch of negative plays every game. Between the penalties and dropped passes, there's just no way he should be considered top #15 at his position. He's an overall positive impact player here, but nothing close to anything special and deserves his fair share of criticism.
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Honalulufan20 wrote:

So much over reaction. Pettigrew isn't the flashy guy but he caught the same percentage of targets as Jimmy Graham. They both caught 66% of targets last year. For comparison purposes CJ caught 62% of targets.

So far this year he has 24 receptions and 52 yards after catch or an average of 2.16 yards after catch.

Old waddling Pettigrew has 16 receptions and 41 yards after catch or an average of 2.56.

I think it's fair to suggest you're less than objective where Pettigrew is concerned.
Calvin has 369 yards on the season, the most of any position player in the NFL. He's also averaging 15.4 yards per reception, and is the sole reason Pettigrew runs up the middle of the field open so often. I think a comparison of YAC between these two means nothing, when you know the entire context of their respective roles in our offense.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Honalulufan20 wrote:

I agree with his assessment. Pettigrew is inconsistent at best at receiving the football and rarely breaks tackles, isn't fast or shifty, and I don't think I've ever seen him run anybody over.

Are you really trying to use numbers to try and tell us "his hands aren't as bad as we all think" and "his YAC ability isn't as bad as we all think"?

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Honalulufan20 wrote:

Calvin has 369 yards on the season, the most of any position player in the NFL. He's also averaging 15.4 yards per reception, and is the sole reason Pettigrew runs up the middle of the field open so often. I think a comparison of YAC between these two means nothing, when you know the entire context of their respective roles in our offense.

I don't disagree Stylish. I simply believe the opposite of you as I think Grew gets to much criticism here.

He is far more of a traditional TE than those considered to be better than him. The way Grew plays the position and the way the Lions use him is different than Dallas, New Orleans and New England. Grew is not a WR being used as a TE and his style of play he isn't ever going to be a TE used as a WR.

I'm just as peeved as anyone with some of Grews play but no more so than I am when Stafford plays badley or CJ drops one he should've had.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew is very average overall. Amongst 32 starting TEs, he is probably clearly better than about 12-14 of them and probably about 12-14 are clearly better than him. Someone else said it about a week ago and I agree with them - He isn't horrible, but he will never be good enough to say "see he was worth that 1rd pick"

The criticism is deserved and the defense is deserved. Neither really go overboard IMO. Although "cut him" seems at least a little ridiculous to me. I still wish we would have done something else with the pick, but it was not the most horrible pick ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: