Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

House of Suhs 2012/2013 Plus/Minus thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Honalulufan20 wrote:
I agree with all of the above, i think that people in this forum give WAY too much credit to Pettigrew than he deserves. He's terrified of contact and because it that he alligator arms throws over the middle, not too mention that fact that he has terrible hands in the first place. If he had even average hands he would haul in 120 receptions a year. I think that people put too much emphasis on the fact that he gets 80 grabs a year and understate or forget about the 40 passes he drops.

In addition to the fact that he has elbows for hands he isn't a great player after the catch. He can't run anybody over despite being 6'6 260, he isnt fast enough to beat even the slow linebackers and he isn't quick. The catches that he miraculously reels in rarely go more than 2 yards farther from the point where he caught it.

The area where he does succeed is being a blocker, he is a very good blocking tight end, but to keep him on the roster just so he can serve that purpose is a poor decision considering that blocking tight ends are dime-a-dozen even in todays passing league.

What a waste of a 6'6 260 frame.

So much over reaction. Pettigrew isn't the flashy guy but he caught the same percentage of targets as Jimmy Graham. They both caught 66% of targets last year. For comparison purposes CJ caught 62% of targets.

The Lions have a pretty fabulous receiver in CJ, don't you agree?

So far this year he has 24 receptions and 52 yards after catch or an average of 2.16 yards after catch.

Old waddling Pettigrew has 16 receptions and 41 yards after catch or an average of 2.56.

I think it's fair to suggest you're less than objective where Pettigrew is concerned.

I agree with his assessment. Pettigrew is inconsistent at best at receiving the football and rarely breaks tackles, isn't fast or shifty, and I don't think I've ever seen him run anybody over.

Are you really trying to use numbers to try and tell us "his hands aren't as bad as we all think" and "his YAC ability isn't as bad as we all think"?

Actually, yes, I am. Pettigrew is a lightning rod for criticism on the offence. He has taken over from Backus as the Lion fans whipping boy.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-BZdTce5auc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-BZdTce5auc

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0yVXzIvgdek&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0yVXzIvgdek

I normally don't post these types of videos but in this case many seem to have forgotten just how effective Pettigrew can be.

He isn't a perfect player but he is hardly the scrub some make him out to be. The way the Lions use Pettigrew he often gets drilled as soon as the ball arrives and those are tough catches to make and they can be tough to hold on to as we'll.

In any event no point in even discussing Pettigrew because fans are angry and his last game is fresh in everyone's mind. Lion fans are a fical bunch anyway.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
The way the Lions use Pettigrew he often gets drilled as soon as the ball arrives and those are tough catches to make and they can be tough to hold on to as we'll.

That is so very overlooked with him. If you removed those tough plays and considered only his pure drops, he would have a handful over his career.

Pettigrew is already worth the first round draft pick spent on him: he's a quality player with upside and a bright future. Considering the draft, that's a pick well spent.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
The way the Lions use Pettigrew he often gets drilled as soon as the ball arrives and those are tough catches to make and they can be tough to hold on to as we'll.

That is so very overlooked with him. If you removed those tough plays and considered only his pure drops, he would have a handful over his career.

Pettigrew is already worth the first round draft pick spent on him: he's a quality player with upside and a bright future. Considering the draft, that's a pick well spent.

It is also often overlooked how often a pass goes straight through his hands with no contact whatsoever. I saw it happen at least twice this week with him before I turned off the game.

Considering the draft, there were easily better picks that could have been made.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

It is also often overlooked how often a pass goes straight through his hands with no contact whatsoever. I saw it happen at least twice this week with him before I turned off the game.

Considering the draft, there were easily better picks that could have been made.

Those plays are few and far between, and happen to everyone.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Hardly few and far between. It is pretty much guaranteed to happen to Pettigrew at least twice a game. It happened twice in just over 2 quarters this week.

If it was 3 or 4 times a year, "few and far between" might apply. But I have seen it at least 6 times this year in about 10 quarters. That is nearly inexcusable.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Hardly few and far between. It is pretty much guaranteed to happen to Pettigrew at least twice a game. It happened twice in just over 2 quarters this week.

If it was 3 or 4 times a year, "few and far between" might apply. But I have seen it at least 6 times this year in about 10 quarters. That is nearly inexcusable.

Do you really think that happened 32 times last year?

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Why do you continue to focus on one aspect of his game?

The only TE I see that's a better pass blocker is Witten.

Pettigrew is probably top five as a run blocker.

His drops are a concern but overall he is a fine player and a significant part of the Lions offence which is indicated by the amount of snaps he plays. Especially when you consider the Lions have Scheffler whom I also rank top 20 among TE's.

Lets also be honest, some of the passes that have been recorded as drops in his career haven't exactly been perfect throws. Stafford still struggles at times with his touch and short range accuracy.

Pettigrew wasn't drafted because he had break away speed. He was drafted because he was an elite blocker that had a good first step, a big body, good agility and adequate hands. He can still improve as a run blocker. He is adequate at the NFL level but can improve on changing the rushers direction.

When he started his college career he was used almost exclusively as a blocker. OSU slowly worked him in as a receiving threat. He has improved every year and that has continued in his NFL career. In 2010 he had 12 drops and improved with only 6 drops last year. He is very good on timing his routes and has a good knack for getting open. It's just one of the reasons he was the second most targeted player on last years roster.

He had a terrible game this week. Last I checked he wasn't alone as the entire team has been struggling to find their rhythm. Even at that two TE's that most consider elite have more drops than Grew this season. Witten and Graham and of these guys only Witten is on the same level as Grew when it comes to Blocking.

Detroit uses Grew as more of a traditional TE and most seem to really want a WR with size at the position. I remember the uproar when he was drafted. I was amongst the angry people but with time I understand why he was selected and I appreciate the little things he does that go largely unnoticed because every one is only concentrating on the drops.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Why do you continue to focus on one aspect of his game?

I don't.

TL continues to try to make his weaknesses sound like they aren't and I continue to point out he is wrong. I pointed out my overall feelings on him on the previous page.

And I disagree on his blocking. He is a "pretty good" blocker, nowhere near the second best at his position. If he was, then his other inadequacies would be a bit more excusable.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
The only TE I see that's a better pass blocker is Witten.

Pettigrew is probably top five as a run blocker.
Here are some interesting points.

Last season, PFF ranked Pettigrew 5th amongst TE's in pass-blocking, and it was by-far his strongest attribute. But he was only ranked 33rd in run-blocking, not nearly as strong as many here talk him up to be.

Also, he was ranked 62nd amongst TE's in penalties, and worst amongst all position players in the entire league in total penalties committed.

These are some of the frustrating aspects of Grew's gameplay that amplify fans frustrations when he inexcusably drops an easy reception.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL continues to try to make his weaknesses sound like they aren't and I continue to point out he is wrong.

That's not what's happening here. You claim he's pretty much guaranteed for 2 blatant drops per game. Your words. It's simply not true, and I pointed that out.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL continues to try to make his weaknesses sound like they aren't and I continue to point out he is wrong.

That's not what's happening here. You claim he's pretty much guaranteed for 2 blatant drops per game. Your words. It's simply not true, and I pointed that out.

And you were wrong.....again.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grew and I share the same birthday.....

TMI
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

"Arguments" like this... exaggerations coated in an insulting tone... do nothing but bring the forum down. It's really, really not necessary... just has no place here.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

"Arguments" like this... exaggerations coated in an insulting tone... do nothing but bring the forum down. It's really, really not necessary... just has no place here.

Laughing

I have been thinking that for YEARS
House of Suhs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 4 vs Vikings

The Good

+ Matthew Stafford: "What? BUT HE DIDN'T EVEN THROW A TOUCHDOWN!" Stafford played a good game; it could've possibly been a great game; but what prevented that from becoming reality will be covered below.

+ The Defense: Didn't give up a touchdown! Gunther came up with some impressive playcalling! The only coach I'm happy with today.

The Bad

+ Offensive playcalling: We're way too conservative, and it feels like our game plan doesn't take advantage of our offensive weapons until the fourth quarter rolls around. This is unacceptable, and perhaps it's time for Linehan to go.

The Ugly

-Special Teams: They give the word special a terrible reputation. What is it now? 5 or 6 return TDs given up this season? They're costing us WINS and they're only on the field for all over 2 minutes a game. FIRE CROSSMAN NOW.

-DROPS: Catch the ball. Stafford was throwing some absolute GEMS this game, and no one could come up with them. We're leading the league in drips by a mile at this point; it's actually pathetic.

-GOAT OF THE WEEK (Bill Bentley): Learn to turn your head kid. You gave up a big first down, and what? Over 90 yards in pass interference calls? I miss Eric Wright Sad

The Future?

-Looks like we're in for a long season. If we dont get at least 7 wins this season; I can see Mayhew cleaning house.

All credit of this sig goes to Delphem

RyanFuller003 wrote:

If there were a Hall of Failure, Matt Millen would be a first-ballot lock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: