Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Observations From Titans Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Wendling is a major liability at safety. I'd rather have Ricardo Silva back there at this point. We need to draft secondary early and often next year.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
Jon Wendling is a major liability at safety. I'd rather have Ricardo Silva back there at this point. We need to draft secondary early and often next year.

An impact safety that can make plays would do wonders for this team... and no that doesn't include Delmas. Delmas is not a playmaking safety. They'll need to draft one.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:

An impact safety that can make plays would do wonders for this team... and no that doesn't include Delmas. Delmas is not a playmaking safety. They'll need to draft one.
Say what??? Delmas is like, a HoF lock!

But Delmas is really needed back there.

R.I.P. Stylish
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:

I wish.

He's extremely overrated.

His stats by year:

2009: 15 G, 15 GS, 65 tackles + 29 assists, 1 Safety, 8 Passes Defended, 2 INT's, 1 TD
2010: 15 G, 15 GS, 62 tackles + 22 assists, 1 Passes Defended, 0 INT's, 2 FF.
2011: 11 G, 11 GS, 36 tackles + 15 assists, 5 Passes Defended, 0 INT's.
2012:

He's solid, but he's not a playmaker and at times his tackling is terrible. He takes a lot of bad angles, and has only 4 career take aways. He would be a good compliment to a playmaker in the secondary but he's still has a long way to go in becoming a complete player and this injury this year is certainly not helping.
DetroitWhat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:

I wish.

His stats by year:

2009: 15 G, 15 GS, 65 tackles + 29 assists, 1 Safety, 8 Passes Defended, 2 INT's, 1 TD
2012:

He's solid, but he's not a playmaker and at times his tackling is terrible. He takes a lot of bad angles, and has only 4 career take aways. He would be a good compliment to a playmaker in the secondary but he's still has a long way to go in becoming a complete player and this injury this year is certainly not helping.

Yeah I think like suh he got off to a great start then cooled down as his career went on. He has a lot to prove if hes going to be considered good.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitWhat wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:

I wish.

His stats by year:

2012:

Yeah I think like suh he got off to a great start then cooled down as his career went on. He has a lot to prove if hes going to be considered good.

Yeah, this year was going to be big for him. He's a FA after this season and had a lot to prove. It'll be interesting if and when he can come back, and what type of player he'll be for the Lions this year. It will also be interesting if they bring him back and at what price. They can't afford to open up too many holes to fill since they already have enough problems on the defense, but they can't overpay guys like Delmas.
lions on top

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:

I wish.

His stats by year:

2012:

While I agree his isn't really a "playmaker" something cannot be denied, our secondary has actually shown flashes of being decent with him healthy, and is horrible without him. I think that can be attributed to the fact that he's a leader, and that's a value that really cannot be seen in stats. It's like Ray Lewis, still a great player, obviously more talented physically and a better leader than Delmas, but still, tough to deny he's slowed down some. No matter what teammates he goes out on the field with though on any given Sunday he makes them all individually better. I think Delmas does that for our secondary.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
WillParks wrote:
Some of his assignments were out routes designed for short to medium gains. However, some of his routes were designed to get him in space outside so that he can get some YAC. He wasn't doing late in the year last year and he isn't doing it now. At this point Nate Burleson gets most of his separation by pushing off. He should be more than just a possession receiver.
As far as numbers and yards receiving numbers are concerned they can be misleading. A WR that averages 7 yards per catch does nothing to help take the pressure off of Calvin Johnson or make a defense pay for double-teaming, bracketing or rolling coverage to his side of the field. The Nate Burleson we have now isn't the Nate Burleson that played in Minnesota. He isn't stretching the field or consistently making impact plays even though he sees single coverage most of the time. 10 catches may look good in fantasy football but 10 catches doesn't always translate to play-making football in the real world.

You sir, are a very hard person to please.

A WR that gets 7 yards in underneath routes is exactly the guy to take pressure off Calvin. Our #3 target is not going to be a playmaker, he is supposed to be consistent. We can't afford to pay 3 Calvin Johnsons, not to mention there aren't 3 in the world.

Not to mention the guy that's supposed to be stretching the field is Titus Young.

Titus is easily my biggest disappointment this year. I expected him to break out in a big way this year. There is still a lot of time left, but I thought he'd be taking over the #2 role in a convincing way not acting like an idiot.

On the bright side Hanson can punt the ball like a champ.

It's unfortunate Hanson will retire someday.

He has been the one consistent aspect of the Lions team and so many times he's simply taken for granted.

I can't imagine taking over punting duties mid game. He punted like a pro and had ice in his veins.

If you remove the hail Mary reception on the tip Young has been virtually invisible. I also had high hopes. At least he's young (no pun intended.)

I would actually like to see them move Burleson outside and give Broyles some reps as the slot receiver. I suppose we haven't seen Broyles because he's still learning the play book but in college he was good after the catch and I would like to see what he can do at the NFL level.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Lions fan for a long time and this team has me very concerned.

Last year the Lions had an amazing aerial attack but after three games this year it's been anything but amazing.

The offensive line has played well but it hasn't materialized in a great passing game. Stafford has struggled early and frankly it looks like he's struggling with his confidence. He's very reluctant to throw downfield early and as a result he hasn't gotten CJ involved early. He played better today than the previous two games but he was very cautious. Still he protected the ball. Had a good completion percentage but had trouble getting it in the end zone.

I thought the offensive line did their job well. It was great to see LeShoure. 100 yards and a TD for his first game was excellent. It's nice to see a back that doesn't lose speed on the cut, hits the hole hard, keeps driving his legs and falls forward.

CJ is amazing. He hauled in two passes today that I don't think any other receiver in today's NFL could have caught. If they could get him involved earlier in the game I can't imagine the damage he could do.

Pettigrew had a rough outing. We probably witnessed his poorest performance to date. I know many will be calling for his head but he's to valuable to the offence and you can't discard a player because of a poor outing. He will bounce back as he usually has a great game following a poor performance and no doubt today was a bad one. He will need to bounce back next week.

The dline disappointed me today. I expected them to have more success but credit to Locker he got in his back peddle and got rid of the ball. Still they didn't get in Lockers face much today. On a plus side they played well against the run.

On the dline I'm most concerned about Cliff Avril. He simply has to get going.

I thought the linebackers played the run well today. They maintained gap integrity for the most part. I think the defensive game plan should have dialed up a few blitzes today.

The thirdary is a joke. Houston played a good game today. It's great to have at least one legitimate player back there.

Hopefully when Delmas gets back it will give the defensive backfield a boost because they certainly could use it. Also I hope Delmas has given some thought to wrapping up on tackles.

Special teams? They're special all right. Giving up 14 points on returns just isn't acceptable no matter how you look at it. They we're simply bad today.

Credit to Schwartz for taking the heat on the last play. They were trying to draw the Titans offside and the ball wasn't supposed to be snapped. A gutsy call in a noisy stadium with the backup QB on the field. He's taken the blame for the miscommunication but it's still frustrating. The Lions made huge mistakes today so I guess it's fitting that a huge mistake ended the game.

As for the backup QB. I can't say enough about Shaun Hill. Say what you want but he's the best backup in the league.

The officials made some mistakes today but they affected both teams.

No matter how I look at it I just see a team that invents ways to either need a comeback or they simply lose. as a fan that's very frustrating. It seems each week there's a different reason but the theme is consistently one player or one unit of the team letting everyone down. My logical mind tells me that it's to be expected with the core of the team being very young however at some point it has to be corrected. These guys have to play better TOGETHER!

Jason Hanson gets major props again. Not only was he on the mark kicking field goals, Mr. automatic has to take over punting duties mid game. People can say what they want but seldom does Hanson let his team mates down. When he retires, the Lions organization better put a statue of this guy in the halls of Ford Field. He deserves it.

The positives,

CJ
LeShoure
Shaun Hill
Offensive Line
Jason (Mr. automatic) Hanson.

The negatives,

The thirdary.
Brandon Pettigrew.
The Officials
Offensive game plan
Defensive game plan.

Full marks to the Titans and Jake Locker. They deserve the victory. They had a game plan that worked.

Hopefully I will never see another football game like today. It was just stupid.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
He's very reluctant to throw downfield early and as a result he hasn't gotten CJ involved early.

Teams this season have been dropping a 7, 8, and more players back into coverage as a norm. Stafford just hasn't had the opportunities he had last year which is why you see the offense running the ball a lot more.

Quote:
"We didn't see not one blitz, not one five-man pressure, not one snap of single-high (safety) the whole game," Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "Two deep, drop seven, eight or nine the whole game."

diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
He's very reluctant to throw downfield early and as a result he hasn't gotten CJ involved early.

Teams this season have been dropping a 7, 8, and more players back into coverage as a norm. Stafford just hasn't had the opportunities he had last year which is why you see the offense running the ball a lot more.

Quote:
"We didn't see not one blitz, not one five-man pressure, not one snap of single-high (safety) the whole game," Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "Two deep, drop seven, eight or nine the whole game."

I realize that but it hasn't changed later in the game. When they put CJ in the slot, run him underneath or post patterns he has gotten open.

He averaged 41 passes per game last year and he threw the ball 42 times today.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Quote:

I realize that but it hasn't changed later in the game. When they put CJ in the slot, run him underneath or post patterns he has gotten open.

Agreed, especially how they played us today. Their Safties were 20 yards off the line. We should have been able to attack the are between the Safties and LBs. that's the in game, on the fly adjustments I think Linehan needs to make but struggles with.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think teams shy away from Delmas. He might not have great numbers the past couple years, but he has undeniable talent. That's why he makes others around him better in he secondary, and that's why he's valuable. He need to work on baiting QB's better and wrapping up, but there's no denying his ability and impact on this team (as others have mentioned)

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
nagahide13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lost because of fluke plays and ridiculoulsy bad special teams play/play-calling. I don't really know what else can be said.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Quote:

Agreed, especially how they played us today. Their Safties were 20 yards off the line. We should have been able to attack the are between the Safties and LBs. that's the in game, on the fly adjustments I think Linehan needs to make but struggles with.

And that's where Ryan Broyles is going to make his money. I really don't understand why we aren't using him. I saw him in the game yesterday. He was in there on the hail mary pass into the endzone that Titus caught. Broyles was next to him and jumped on him. So he's obviously healthy enough to be in games, and play snaps on offense. But no targets yet. Instead we target Pettigrew 11 times. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: