Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kenny Tate OLB / SS Maryland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Kenny Tate OLB / SS Maryland Reply with quote

I was high on him following his Junior year when he was all ACC as a strong safety, since then he has been converted to linebacker. What if anything is his draft status now? I think he's got some sleeper potential, especially with the emergence of the next generation of tight ends.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy can still play.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
The guy can still play.
But what level, what caliber is he?

PSN: bench515lbs

Ahead of the curve....
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
The guy can still play.

This. You can tell he's athletic, he can cover but he's a tweener (in college). I don't like him as a true OLB in the NFL, but has a hybrid Safety/OLB I think he has a role in the NFL...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
skrILL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's gonna be another Kam Chancellor type in the league. He has a unique skill set that can be utilized in pretty much every defensive scheme. I've been high on him since his sophomore year at Maryland and I feel like we're gonna start seeing a lot more SS/OLB 'tweeners coming into the league with the emergence of these athletic tight ends.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
The guy can still play.

This. You can tell he's athletic, he can cover but he's a tweener (in college). I don't like him as a true OLB in the NFL, but has a hybrid Safety/OLB I think he has a role in the NFL...

I'd like him a lot as a SS. Depending on how his post-season go, I still think he's a 3rd round pick. Might even go in the 2nd with strong workouts.

Only thing I could see hindering that is his injury history.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

ColumbusCrewzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's overrated personally.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
The guy can still play.

I'd like him a lot as a SS. Depending on how his post-season go, I still think he's a 3rd round pick. Might even go in the 2nd with strong workouts.

Only thing I could see hindering that is his injury history.

Would be a good fit in Washington with the need we have at SS and the athletic big TE's in the division

kiltman on the sig

JMU Class of 2014
silver_surfer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor Mays didnt pan out to well
johnson_cody_18

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silver_surfer wrote:

Taylor Mays isn't panning out because he's too dumb to play in the NFL. In college he looked good because athletically, he was on another level, but that doesn't work in the NFL. He bites on play action every time, over pursues, and can't remember his assignments. Taylor Mays is the complete package as an athlete, just doesn't have the brains for it.

TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnson_cody_18 wrote:
silver_surfer wrote:

Taylor Mays isn't panning out because he's too dumb to play in the NFL. In college he looked good because athletically, he was on another level, but that doesn't work in the NFL. He bites on play action every time, over pursues, and can't remember his assignments. Taylor Mays is the complete package as an athlete, just doesn't have the brains for it.

Let's not write Mays off just yet. Yes, he's still dumb as rocks but he actually hasn't been that bad at safety. Played pretty well against the Skins. He'll never be great but he's serviceable...

chris00cm wrote:
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnson_cody_18 wrote:
silver_surfer wrote:

Taylor Mays isnt panning out because he has extremely tight hips and cannot change directions quick enough...He never has

PSN: bench515lbs

Ahead of the curve....
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny Tate is a baller. Please don't compare Taylor Mays and Kenny Tate just because they are similar in size. Taylor Mays is a certified bum who was never that good in college and was overrated because he was A) on USC and B) He was a 6'3 230 lb safety.

If Kenny Tate can get/stay healthy, he can prosper in the NFL.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnson_cody_18 wrote:
silver_surfer wrote:

Taylor Mays never looked too good in college if you really scrutinized his play. He got a lot of hype because he was a freak athlete but when you watched him on the field, you saw all the issues that you're describing. It's why I vehemently argued against it when the media tried to claim him as a 1st round pick after his Junior year and a top 10 talent when he came back.

If you really watched him, he took horrendous angles in college, consistently overran plays, went for knockout hits rather than attacking the football in coverage and couldn't change directions to save his life. To make matters worse, he wasn't even that special of a run stopper because he always tried to hit guys high for the highlight reel rather than wrap up.

It was pretty clear watching Mays that his flaws would be majorly exposed once people really focused on his play.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

TheVillain112

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

Taylor Mays never looked too good in college if you really scrutinized his play. He got a lot of hype because he was a freak athlete but when you watched him on the field, you saw all the issues that you're describing. It's why I vehemently argued against it when the media tried to claim him as a 1st round pick after his Junior year and a top 10 talent when he came back.

If you really watched him, he took horrendous angles in college, consistently overran plays, went for knockout hits rather than attacking the football in coverage and couldn't change directions to save his life. To make matters worse, he wasn't even that special of a run stopper because he always tried to hit guys high for the highlight reel rather than wrap up.

It was pretty clear watching Mays that his flaws would be majorly exposed once people really focused on his play.

If you watch Mays now, going for the big hit instead of wrapping up is his biggest issue. He still doesn't have the COD skills you want from a top safety, but he's actually been decent in coverage. People really want to hate on Mays, but he actually is progressing a bit. Not calling him a top safety at all, but in a defense with a lot of holes in the secondary atm he's actually been decent...

chris00cm wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: