Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Revealing look into on shanahans coaching record

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Revealing look into on shanahans coaching record Reply with quote

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/09/20/elfin-a-revealing-look-into-mike-shanahans-coaching-record/

I thought it was a good article by David Elfin. he says Shanahan can coach hes right up there with Joe Gibbs and other hall of famers. He pointed out that if he doesnt have 8 days or more to prepare, hes an average coach.

Quote:
That victory over the Saints raised Shanahanís record to a remarkable 15-4 in openers (3-0 with the Redskins). The coach was 4-1 when he had a bye week to prepare for a postseason game and is 10-6 after regular season byes. All told, thatís a 29-11 record and a .725 winning percentage, one that would rank Shanahan behind only the peerless Vince Lombardi and Hall of Famer John Madden if he could sustain that pace for his career.

However, Shanahan is 137-114 otherwise, a .546 winning percentage that puts him in the same territory as Dennis Green and Lovie Smith, neither of whom is likely to be immortalized in Canton one day. Shanahan has been even worse since coming to Washington in 2010. Last Sundayís upset by the lowly St. Louis Rams dropped the Redskins to just 9-19 when the coach has had no more than eight days to prepare for an opponent.

The trouble for the Redskins is that Shanahan hasnít come close so far in Washington to matching his post-Elway decade with the Broncos. Shanahan was 91-69 during his last 10 regular seasons in Denver and 1-4 in the playoffs, although three of those defeats came on the road. The postseason victory was the only loss for superstar quarterback Tom Brady, Belichick and the Patriots in 11 playoff games from 2001- 05.

Shanahan was great against AFC West rivals with Elway and a solid 39-27 during the following decade. With the redskins though he is just 4-8 against our NFC East rivals. Under shanahan we are a league-worst 4-12 at home. We continue a 12 year trend since Snyder took over the team of being atrocious at home. Drafting Griffin has bought Shanahan time and patience to develop his rookie qb.

Bottom line is we have to start having real home field advantage. Hopefully that begins with Griffin and the excitement he will bring to the team this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is more indicative of teams than anything else.

He started with a great team in Denver and was able to, for the most part, keep them up their through coaching skill. Now he's showing off his drafting ability. We just have to let the talent develop.
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An anti-Shanahan thread from turtle? I feel like I have seen this movie before.

The 2009 Redskins were pure garbage, and that was the legacy that Dan Snyder, Joe Gibbs 2.0 and Vinny Cerrato left the Redskins with, although Jim Zorn should share some of the blame. To expect any coach to produce a consistent winner immediately is bordering on asinine.

As long as I have been watching football, Mike Shanahan is one of the top 5 head coaches. While he has never been strong in the draft, that seems to be rectified with Bruce Allen's organization and leadership. Moreover, he has had a knack for finding veterans to produce for him.

How does one look at the sheer volume of young players on this roster, and specifically the number drafted in the last two years, and deduce that the Redskins should be a perennial contender?

- Have the Redskins finished rebuilding? Another couple of years away.
- Are the Redskins a young team with depth? Yes.
- Will they have struggles? Assuredly.
- Is the future as bright as it has been in about two decades? I would say so.

This team is young and talented and will take time to lift off; but, the turbines are on and the momentum is starting to build. Let's not undervalue the job that Shanahan and Allen have done in the past 2.5 years. If it takes them another year or so to build the Redskins into a consistent winner (for 6-10 years after that), will anyone fault Shanahan for his record with the Redskins to this point?

There are a couple of teams that seem to have the ideal ingredients to be dominant teams for the next ten years, and the Redskins are one of them. I can confidently say that this would not be the case without Mike Shanahan leading the way: he is THAT important.

The Redskins will be one of the top 5 teams in the NFL by Griffin's third season.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Footy. I think we are getting better and well on our way to being a playoff and SB contender also. Just reporting on an article I read by a hall of fame writer. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Elfin's radio interview on Thurs or Fri and I think he's right. If Shanahan doesn't turn this around, he's not making it into the HOF.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
I heard Elfin's radio interview on Thurs or Fri and I think he's right. If Shanahan doesn't turn this around, he's not making it into the HOF.
I don't know if I agree with that. He's a two time super bowl winning coach and did it back to back. That right there deserves a hall of fame nomination despite what's done ... or hasn't since 06.

Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Dashing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanny- is overrated. The O could of had more weapons in three years and a better OL-. Don't get me started on defense.
Dashing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:

The 2009 Redskins were pure garbage, and that was the legacy that Dan Snyder, Joe Gibbs 2.0 and Vinny Cerrato left the Redskins with, although Jim Zorn should share some of the blame. To expect any coach to produce a consistent winner immediately is bordering on asinine.

As long as I have been watching football, Mike Shanahan is one of the top 5 head coaches. While he has n
The Redskins will be one of the top 5 teams in the NFL by Griffin's third season.
Quote:
I don't agree with some.of what you said did the 09opposite redskins suck of course. But you.don't trade a defense that can get you Top 15one AT worst and than you go on offense.you bring in a washed up QB two too three bum Wes you don't improve the OL- and than you don't even sign or draft the right people for the 3-4beat. This is Mike's fault . And he is called washed up now because of him being GM and picking the defense. He is known for having a bad defense. Hr basically [inappropriate/removed] ecru thing over year one and year two was a rebuilding season actually this year is our rebuilding season when year one should of. Our talent on D isn't bad either so I m saying that cause you see other teams with less talent maybe both sides on the ball do better than us. I'm upset with these three years I feel it could be better. Atleast if we went 4-3 our D would be better maybe been still old three years ago but you have some good players and could of picked up younger 4-3n players.
Sassan11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
footy_29 wrote:

As long as I have been watching football, Mike Shanahan is one of the top 5 head coaches. While he has n
Quote:
I don't agree with some.of what you said did the 09opposite redskins suck of course. But you.don't trade a defense that can get you Top 15one AT worst and than you go on offense.you bring in a washed up QB two too three bum Wes you don't improve the OL- and than you don't even sign or draft the right people for the 3-4beat. This is Mike's fault . And he is called washed up now because of him being GM and picking the defense. He is known for having a bad defense. Hr basically [inappropriate/removed] ecru thing over year one and year two was a rebuilding season actually this year is our rebuilding season when year one should of. Our talent on D isn't bad either so I m saying that cause you see other teams with less talent maybe both sides on the ball do better than us. I'm upset with these three years I feel it could be better. Atleast if we went 4-3 our D would be better maybe been still old three years ago but you have some good players and could of picked up younger 4-3n players.

4-3 or 3-4 it doesn't matter when our secondary is as bad as it is. We would get burned both ways.
a2piece89

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading after "Elffin says Shanahan is right up there with Joe Gibbs"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: