Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wes Welker - Worth It?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Wes Welker - Worth It? Reply with quote

It's being rumored that the Pats appear to be gearing up to moving Welker this season. I don't normally put a lot of stock into such rumors, but this makes a lot of sense: the Pats don't want to play him, he doesn't appear to have a future in NE, and it's a standard Belichick move to get great value for a productive player that they no longer need.

The question: with Titus still developing and Broyles recovering, would acquiring Welker for this season make sense? If he pushed us into being a legitimate contender, would giving draft picks be worth it?

Initial thread: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=499689

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 31yo slot receiver on the decline that commands a big salary?

No thanks.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a chance. Not that Welker isn't great, but we're already deep at receiver and have already invested two recent 2nd round picks on the position, not to mention the money we have on Calvin.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Louis Delmas26

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly believe that Wes Welker is also as talent of the system. I know this may seem harsh, but he is a small, slow, possession receiver. I would much raither have Titus Young at this point especially with the contract he wants. Welker is quick, a good route runner, and has great hands, but without Brady he is nothing special.
studdogs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth It?

YEP...on his own fantasy football team.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not. There are too many holes on this defense and offensive line to pay a slot receiver that's on the wrong side of 30. It would make the Broyles pick a complete waste, tie too much money into the WR's and would just be a waste of draft picks.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any player can be had for the right price, and he would certainly make the team better. I wouldn't trade more than a 5th for him, though, and I doubt the Pats would go for that

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
DetroitWhat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6th rounder? for a one year player that might be alright. Anything more then no.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping we'd get some interesting debate here about this.

I agree with the last two posts, though: if it's a low price, I'd happily do it. It doesn't necessarily say anything about Young or Broyles: they just aren't ready to be big-time players yet. Despite Welker's age, they just aren't the player he is at this point.

Any type of offense that has Calvin on the outside and Welker in the slot is a dangerous one. If he wanted a substantial contract in the offseason, I'd be ready to let him walk, but I feel his impact for one year would be worth adding to this offense.

Team Stylish
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't really see the point.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:

Do you think that Young, Burleson or Broyles is better than Welker?

Team Stylish
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Truthfully, probably not. Then again Welker was a nobody before Brady, how much of it is just system? If he's such a vital player for NE...A) why wouldn't they sign him long term and B) why are they allegedly shopping him?

It just seems a little unnecessary with the investments made at the position already.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Truthfully, probably not. Then again Welker was a nobody before Brady, how much of it is just system? If he's such a vital player for NE...A) why wouldn't they sign him long term and B) why are they allegedly shopping him?

It just seems a little unnecessary with the investments made at the position already.

That's the point then: he's an upgrade at a key position on this team.

He showed flashes in 2006 with MIA, which prompted Belichick to make the trade. He has been successful because of his skillset: he's a shifty slot receiver with enough speed to turn small gains into big gains.

A) Because he's aging, and they're moving in a different direction. They have Gronk and Hernandez, who appear to be their offensive future, and Lloyd looks to be more in their plans at this point. The price tag for his age doesn't help.

B) Because he isn't needed to run their offense, and great teams move players they no longer need when they still have value.

If it's a mid-late pick to significantly upgrade our WRs for this season, I'd happily do it. I don't think giving a 5th sets us back, but the benefit he provides is substantial.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

That's the point then: he's an upgrade at a key position on this team.

He showed flashes in 2006 with MIA, which prompted Belichick to make the trade. He has been successful because of his skillset: he's a shifty slot receiver with enough speed to turn small gains into big gains.

A) Because he's aging, and they're moving in a different direction. They have Gronk and Hernandez, who appear to be their offensive future, and Lloyd looks to be more in their plans at this point. The price tag for his age doesn't help.

B) Because he isn't needed to run their offense, and great teams move players they no longer need when they still have value.

If it's a mid-late pick to significantly upgrade our WRs for this season, I'd happily do it. I don't think giving a 5th sets us back, but the benefit he provides is substantial.

I would rather save the picks, and use the money for a much larger upgrade at a more important position by re-signing Avril over starting LoJack.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
I would rather save the picks, and use the money for a much larger upgrade at a more important position by re-signing Avril over starting LoJack.

The money down the road is irrelevant: I have stressed that I wouldn't re-sign him unless his asking price was minimal.

Would you honestly not trade a 5th for Welker right now, just to give us a great slot receiver to pair with Calvin for the rest of this season?

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: