Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sheldon Brown no longer a starter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Sheldon Brown no longer a starter Reply with quote

According to recent reports, Sheldon Brown is no longer a starter. He'll be the nickel back for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
“I just come in in the nickel package,” Brown said.

Brown sat out all but one play in Cincinnati. In his place, second-year corner Buster Skrine had what even Skrine described as a rough afternoon. Nevertheless, the Browns apparently have decided that Skrine will improve only by getting more reps.

“Sometimes when you have young guys on the field you go through growing pains like that,” Brown said. “But I genuinely, in the bottom of my heart, I believe in the guys out there. And I know they’re going to get better. You can’t judge a guy off one effort. It’s not fair.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=5171

At least he didn't throw a fit and took the demotion like a pro.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoken like a true pro

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
dawgdish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, Brown wasn't hurt for that game? That's inconceivable to me, with Haden out, that he wasn't starting. I know he's not great, but Skirne got taken to the woodshed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgdish wrote:
Wait, Brown wasn't hurt for that game? That's inconceivable to me, with Haden out, that he wasn't starting. I know he's not great, but Skirne got taken to the woodshed.

It's hard to say how much injury played a part last week. I can only guess that he was, in fact, injured, since he only played one snap in the entire game. If he's the designated nickel back, he'll play plenty of snaps. He just won't be in the game when we have 2 CB's out there.

As far as Skrine, yep he struggled. Obviously, the coaches thought Skrine had a better chance at defending Green and company than Sheldon did. As it is now, Skrine is gonna get his shot.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Skrine can be a solid corner in this league I just don't believe he should be playing bump and run. The guy doesn't have the size or strenght to disrupt the reciever. He has elite quickness and speed, however, so play the guy off.

I am glad we finally have a coaching staff that is willing to give young guys playing time over veterans who have clearly lost more than one step. I like Sheldon Brown and appreciate what he did here in his first couple seasons but it is obviously time to move on.

Jamison on the sig
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
dawgdish wrote:

It's hard to say how much injury played a part last week. I can only guess that he was, in fact, injured, since he only played one snap in the entire game. If he's the designated nickel back, he'll play plenty of snaps. He just won't be in the game when we have 2 CB's out there.

As far as Skrine, yep he struggled. Obviously, the coaches thought Skrine had a better chance at defending Green and company than Sheldon did. As it is now, Skrine is gonna get his shot.

Yep he was hurt. Shurmur said he put him in there one snap to keep his streak of games played alive.

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One down. So when does JMJ take over for Fujita? Cameron for Watson?
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:

I see no reason for JMJ to even see the field the way L.J. Fort played as the strongside linebacker. I don't care about draft position L.J. is simply the better linebacker. Maybe one of them can play the weakside and bench Maiava as well, but when we are running with two linebackers it should be Jackson and Fort.

Jamison on the sig
bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgdish wrote:

Brown was hurt last week. He only played one snap to keep his streak of games played going.
bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

I see no reason for JMJ to even see the field the way L.J. Fort played as the strongside linebacker. I don't care about draft position L.J. is simply the better linebacker. Maybe one of them can play the weakside and bench Maiava as well, but when we are running with two linebackers it should be Jackson and Fort.

Fort didn't play a snap last week. I don't know how yo could come to that conclusion.

Robertson should be starting at wlb over maiava, so I agree with you there.
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

Fort didn't play a snap last week. I don't know how yo could come to that conclusion.

Robertson should be starting at wlb over maiava, so I agree with you there.

In base D yes.....snaps period..that would be incorrect, he was the best chance at a tackle on Packman this past Sunday.

But we do agree Maiava is a waste of a roster space at this point...

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
I believe Skrine can be a solid corner in this league I just don't believe he should be playing bump and run. The guy doesn't have the size or strenght to disrupt the reciever. He has elite quickness and speed, however, so play the guy off.

I am glad we finally have a coaching staff that is willing to give young guys playing time over veterans who have clearly lost more than one step. I like Sheldon Brown and appreciate what he did here in his first couple seasons but it is obviously time to move on.

I know he's small and all....but if you go back and check his film from his Jr. vs Alabama and his Sr. vs Auburn...you might change your mind.....

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
kelbot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

How do we know JMJ isn't better? He was above Fort on the depth chart and looked as good as Fort in the preseason. Maybe he catches that Vick pass in the endzone, if he wasn't hurt. Twisted Evil
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

work load cut in half, still recieve the same amount of pay...hell yeah i would take that.

i think it makes Brown better in the long run cause he wont play as many plays and can stay healhier longer.

better he will go against less talented WRs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelbot wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

How do we know JMJ isn't better? He was above Fort on the depth chart and looked as good as Fort in the preseason. Maybe he catches that Vick pass in the endzone, if he wasn't hurt. Twisted Evil

I watched Philladelphia run right at him for an entire drive right down the field for a touchdown. I saw a guy who couldn't make reads fast enough to keep up. I saw a guy who missed a lot of tackles including a whiiff in the backfield that led to a touchdown. I saw the most overrated 4th round linebcaker we have had since Beau Bell. I think the guy is a career backup obviously better than Bell, but he is not a starter like fans have been pimping since we drafted him.

Looked as good as Fort in the preseason? What a joke. Never happened. We'll see what happens down the road when Maiava and Fujita is gone.

Jamison on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: