Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Not another justo mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Justo is dumb because___
He picked a S in the first round
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
He picked a baseball convert that played in a gimmick O for one year to be a backup OL
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Eddie Lacey isn't going to be there
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
We aren't tag & trading Jennings...
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
He cut Kuhn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D.J. Williams isn't playing HBack
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
He picked a former QB to play WR for us
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Who cares about some CFL DT?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Because justo
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Jeff Saturday was a Pro Bowler
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

justo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Not another justo mock Reply with quote

Backs:
QB: Aaron Rodgers-Graham Harrell
RB: DuJuan Harris-Ryan Grant-Cedric Benson-Alex Green-James Starks-Brandon Saine
FB: John Kuhn

I don't think the back field is a huge need, but I would like to see new faces here. I hope we bring someone in to compete with Harrell/Coleman for the #2 job, because I wasn't impressed in the preseason by either of them. Even Flynn was decent in the preseason.

[Insert rant about not having preseason games on NFL Rewind.]

I think Harris is the starter if you roll out this team totally healthy. Benson had an okay year, but I don't think you bring that back at that age after an injury. I don't think either of the FA's are coming back, but I would rather see Grant of the two of them. Green is going to need to keep playing that pass downs role. Harris just can't seem to block.. Kuhn had to play that while Green was hurt, and I don't think Kuhn is coming back. Kuhn is playing well below his contract's worth and he would save us 2 million dollars in cap space.

Pass catchers:
WR: Jordy Nelson-Greg Jennings-James Jones-Randall Cobb-Jarrett Boykin-Jeremy Ross-Donald Driver
TE: Jermichael Finley-Tom Crabtree-Andrew Quarless-Ryan Taylor-D.J. Williams

This team has already moved on at WR. Cobb was brought in to replace Jennings, and he's done a great job of it. Nelson/Jones become FA's soon and I would rather have the older one that missed more games this year leave. The question is to tag and trade him or not. The QB #'s were way too high to trade Flynn last year. Maybe the WR #'s are just right to work out a trade to Miami for some value. They get the right to sign him, Jennings gets to go where he seems to want to go and get money, Packers get picks. Works for me.

[Moment of silence for DD's career]

I think Crabtree comes back. He's by far our best blocking TE. What's interesting is that Ryan Taylor got a lot more offensive snaps near the end of the year. I think D.J. Williams moves to more of an Hback type role with Kuhn out and we sprinkle in TE motions.

Offensive line:
OT: Bryan Bulaga-Derek Sherrod-Marshall Newhouse-Don Barclay
OG: Josh Sitton-T.J. Lang-Greg Van Roten
OC: Evan Dietrich-Smith-Jeff Saturday

I think we are in a lot better shape at OT than people think. Our two starting OT's weren't out there in the playoffs, and Datko is still on our PS. Solid 1-5 if Sherrod is healthy. It's not like Newhouse got owned all year.

I think we are solid at guard but need some depth. Seeing Van Roten out there when Sitton's shoe fell off made me realize that. Maybe we see a swing OG/OC behind EDS in the draft.

Obviously, I think we need to cut Jeff Saturday and resign EDS. Saturday isn't a first string OC anymore and we can't go into the offseason with no one on the roster with C experience. Hopefully he gives us a hometown discount and signs for a low, low level starting C salary. Dude's got to eat, though.

Defensive line:
DE: Ryan Pickett-C.J. Wilson-Jerel Worthy-Mike Neal-Mike Daniels
NT: B.J. Raji-Jordan Miller

DL and S are my two biggest fears for this team. Wilson doesn't seem like a guy you want to hang your hat on all year. Ryan Pickett is getting older. Raji is coming to a closing contract. In 2014 we might have none of these guys on the roster. Worthy/Neal/Daniels have shown flashes, but none of them look like starters at this point. Miller didn't look like he got owned at a NT when he was in, but it's not like he's expected to be on the roster next year around this time.

Linebackers:
OLB: Clay Matthews-Nick Perry-Erik Walden-Dezman Moses-Frank Zombo
ILB: Desmond Bishop-A.J. Hawk-Brad Jones-D.J. Smith-Terrell Manning-Jamari Lattimore-Robert Francois

Let's hope Perry isn't a victim to the double R theory. He was rotating with Walden and Moses even when he was healthy and I can't think of a great play he made besides the Andrew Luck sack that got him fined. I think Walden should be back. Improved a lot this year. Hopefully comes back for the same type of contract. I don't think Zombo is really needed with the LBs already at OLB and ILB that play or can play special teams well.

Guys on here are too rough on A.J. Hawk. A lot of what he does is what sets up Bishop to make tackles; he's like the full back of the defense. Bishop coming back makes our defense a lot better IMO. D.J. Smith didn't look good at all before injury Shocked Changed my mind on him pretty fast this year. Manning hardly saw the field IIRC. Hopefully Brad Jones comes back cheap, I like him on SPT and more than the other three ILBs. Francois is nothing more than "a guy" IMO.

Defensive backs:
CB: Tramon Williams-Sam Shields-Charles Woodson-Casey Hayward-Davon House-Jarrett Bush
S: Morgan Burnett-M.D. Jennings-Jerron McMillian-Sean Richardson

Williams is still hurt and just needs to recover before becoming his former self :knocks on wood:. Shields is a no brainer to resign, I think we give him a 1st round tender. It's crazy how fast Bush went from starting to never playing on defense for us. Hayward, House, and Shields make me happy about the future. I hope we move Woodson to full time S next year if we don't get anyone new. Hayward can play the slot as well as him IMO. I trust Woodson more than Jennings/McMillian on deep passing plays. Woodson likes to play physical but it would be nice to have someone that can tackle back there. Maybe we save another year of him playing for us by not having him at the LOS on all those nickel plays.

Burnett looked solid this year but Jennings/McMillian didn't impress that much. I think McMillian is better than Jennings, but the coaching staff must know more than me about the situation. I liked Richardson in the preseason but as soon as he got in on defense he got hurt.

Special teams:
K: Mason Crosby
P: Tim Masthay
LS: Brett Goode

Never heard about Goode, which is good. Tim Masthay is still at the top of his game. I'm not sure how much this kicker stuff is mental and how much of it is just small sample sizes. I give Crosby another year, but bring in someone as a UDFA to compete with him in camp to make sure it's not mental.

Moves:
Gone: Cedric Benson, Ryan Grant, Frank Zombo, Robert Francois
Traded: Greg Jennings (3rd, 4th, 6th Miami)
Back: Tom Crabtree, EDS, Erik Walden, Brad Jones, Sam Shields
Cut: John Kuhn, Jeff Saturday
Sign: Armond Armsted

Armond Armstead was a guy I had my eye on at the end of the CFL season. Not going to pretend I know a lot about the CFL, but he put up good numbers for a rookie up north. Had the most sacks registered by a DT. He made visits with the Pats, Eagles and Colts, last week. 6'5" 300 should be big enough to play 3-4 DE. He was at USC until they didn't clear him to play football. (Remember, USC also didn't clear Jarvis Jones who might be the best prospect in the draft this year.) He tried to transfer, but couldn't. Ended up in Canada after he couldn't make it into the NFL and wont the Grey Cup. FWIW his brother was the #1 recruit in the nation and started some games for Oregon as a true freshman. I heard some guys from Scout say they thought he was the first guy that could play in the NFL straight out of hs (albeit, at OT instead of NT like he plays for UO.) We can't sign him until March though.

Roster:
QB Aaron Rodgers, Graham Harrell
RB DuJuan Harris, Alex Green, James Starks, Brandon Saine
HB: D.J. Williams
WR Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, Jeremy Ross
TE: Jermichael Finley, Tom Crabtree, Andrew Quarless, Ryan Taylor
OT: Bryan Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Marshall Newhouse, Don Barclay
OG: Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Greg Van Roten
OC: Evan Dietrich-Smith
DE: Ryan Pickett, C.J. Wilson, Jerel Worthy, Armond Armstead, Mike Neal, Mike Daniels
NT: B.J. Raji, Jordan Miller
OLB: Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Erik Walden, Dezman Moses
ILB: Desmond Bishop, A.J. Hawk, Brad Jones, D.J. Smith, Terrell Manning, Jamari Lattimore
CB: Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Casey Hayward, Davon House, Jarrett Bush
FS: Charles Woodson, M.D. Jennings, Jerron McMillian
SS: Morgan Burnett, Sean Richardson

1 Xavier Rhodes FS Florida State
At 6'2 he's got good size:speed as a FS. I think the biggest problems with our defense this year was the S in the nickel and having Bishop out. This solves the half that won't already be solved by itself.

2 Kyle Long T/G Oregon
Howie Long's son that played baseball out of HS. Changed his mind to football and went to a CC and beat out another 2013 draft hopeful for the LT position. Transfered to Oregon and got two years to play one. Oregon was trying to save him before injury to seniors lead him to play G for the second half of the season. Wasn't able to get another year from the NCAA so he's entering the draft. He's going to the senior bowl as a LT which I find interesting. He's got the potential to play any T or G spots. Long comes in as a insurance policy for Sherrod or any other OL not named EDS.

3 (Miami) Eddie Lacey RB Alabama
One of the running backs I can see playing three downs for the Packers. He runs really physically (like Harris, Lynch, ect) but also plays well when having to pass block. Imagine having Harris coming off the bench fresh in the 4th quarter with Lacey in the game.

3 Chris Harper WR Kansas State
A former Oregon QB, Harper has good speed and is 6'2". His football intelligence/routes seem to help him fit the "TT mold" for WRs.

4 (Miami) Zach Sudfeld TE Nevada
A late bloomer at the TE position. Sudfeld made some big catches for Nevada in their bowl game and has the potential to replace Finley, although not right away, without spending a high pick on a guy.

4 Braxston Cave C Notre Dame
Big C from Notre Dame that got on some second team all american teams. I think he's got the size to move over to OG if needed to. Cave gives us a 2nd player that can play OC and a swing guard.

4 (comp) Travis Long OLB Washington State
Switched between 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB his whole time at Wazzu. Interesting player that rushes from multiple angles. Has the body to play OLB in the 3-4 in the NFL.

Insert your favorite draft picks for:
6 (Miami)
6 (comp)

Roster + 5 DPs of your choice
RB Eddie Lacey, DuJuan Harris, Alex Green, James Starks, Brandon Saine
WR Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Chris Harper, Jarrett Boykin, Jeremy Ross
TE: Jermichael Finley, Tom Crabtree, Zach Sudfeld, Andrew Quarless, Ryan Taylor
OT: Bryan Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Kyle Long, Marshall Newhouse, Don Barclay
OG: Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Greg Van Roten
OC: Evan Dietrich-Smith, Braxton Cave
DE: Ryan Pickett, C.J. Wilson, Jerel Worthy, Armond Armstead, Mike Neal, Mike Daniels
NT: B.J. Raji, Jordan Miller
OLB: Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Erik Walden, Travis Long, Dezman Moses
ILB: Desmond Bishop, A.J. Hawk, Brad Jones, D.J. Smith, Terrell Manning, Jamari Lattimore
FS: Charles Woodson, Xavier Rhodes, M.D. Jennings, Jerron McMillian

My 53:
RB Eddie Lacey, DuJuan Harris, Alex Green, James Starks
WR Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Chris Harper, Jeremy Ross
TE: Jermichael Finley, Tom Crabtree, Zach Sudfeld, Ryan Taylor
OT: Bryan Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Kyle Long, Marshall Newhouse, Don Barclay
OG: Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang
OC: Evan Dietrich-Smith, Braxton Cave
DE: Ryan Pickett, Jerel Worthy, Armond Armstead, Mike Neal, Mike Daniels
NT: B.J. Raji
OLB: Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Erik Walden, Travis Long, Dezman Moses
ILB: Desmond Bishop, A.J. Hawk, Brad Jones, Terrell Manning
FS: Charles Woodson, Xavier Rhodes, Jerron McMillian
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Rhodes as a safety at all. One of the best parts of Rhodes game is his ability to get up in press coverage and be physical with receivers using his big body. By moving him to safety you take those attributes completely off the table.
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
palmy50

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda with you on this one Cheesehead. At least as it's stands today.

I have little doubt there are going to be more than enough teams out there willing to give Rhodes a long look at CB pending how he does in workouts. Kids stiff in the hips and lacks a little feel but there is much to like about his CB read.

Should be said that it's a copycat league also. Hawks have opened a few more doors. In that, good chance Rhodes high board will come from a team that views him as a CB with the position premium.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I'm not real sure I see a first round safety for the Packers. The only one that pulled that grade for me was Vaccaro and that was pending fit. I took a ton of crap on here last year because of my love for Harrison Smith but I had a higher grade on him than any in this class. Would have changed a few things along the same line of a Upshaw also. Sure think the Vikes are happy with him right about now. Most around the league felt the Packers were going to hand in that card also. What could have been, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tag and trade Jennings stuff has got to end. Was Jennings a #1 WR last year = yes. Was Jennings a #1 WR this year = no. If Jennings is tagged he will make what - between 8 and 10 million per year. Will any team trade multiple draft picks for a guy who wasn't a #1 WR this year, and they only get him guaranteed for 1 year for big money - it aint gonna happen and it ruins anyones draft that pretends it will happen.

Now back to your comments Justo - right or wrong = would any of the Green Bay running backs have made the SF 49ers roster this year? Any of them? I think not and that means, to me, that the Packers have a glaring need at RB. Team management continues to put too much pressure on Aaron Rodgers and that shows up these last couple of years in the playoffs. I also think this is the year TT must go after an OL in free agency if a quality guy is out there. Sorry, but the only 2 legitimate NFL caliber quality starters right now are Josh Sitton and Brian Bulaga. Defensive line I assume with 1 year udner their belt Jerel Worthy and Mike Daniels and Mike Neal will get better, but the team lacks a stud DL and don't tell me its BJ Raji. Pickett is a nose tackle playing De and Wilson is a rotational guy at best. That unit has improved but is still missing that star. LB's are mess but getting healthy may help that, safety is so so with Woodson hurting more than helping, and CB is in pretty good shape. The Packers have plenty of possession Wr's so a speed guy is a need and if Finley is gone which most of us anticipate then TE is a major need.

Round 1 - I think TT goes with a skilled position because good players will be there, either RB or TE. The top OL (I don't see Barret Jones slipping to the Packers) will likely be long gone but there might be a DL that will slip and be very tempting to TT.
CallMeBarrett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Kuhn being cut after seeing the chemistry with Aaron Rodgers and the play calling in the playoffs utilizing him. If the offense weren't predictable, we wouldn't even be talking about Kuhn, but that isn't the case.

Woodson will need to play the same role as DD did this year. Yes he can tackle, yes he can play at the LoS, but he can't cover and he can't predict the deep ball, or react to it, as he could in the last few years.

It's nice to see a mock that doesn't have an OL taken in the first round. a we're hoping for Sherrod to pan out and give this team what it needs at the LT position. Sherrod-Lang-EDS-Sitton-Bulaga sounds pretty damn good to me right now.

Great work, Justo.
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
This tag and trade Jennings stuff has got to end. Was Jennings a #1 WR last year = yes. Was Jennings a #1 WR this year = no. If Jennings is tagged he will make what - between 8 and 10 million per year. Will any team trade multiple draft picks for a guy who wasn't a #1 WR this year, and they only get him guaranteed for 1 year for big money - it aint gonna happen and it ruins anyones draft that pretends it will happen.

I will start out by saying I do not foresee the Packers tagging and trading Jennings, but to say it is not a possibility that could/can be explored is something I would not be willing to do. I believe it is more of an economical risk that TT would not be willing to take. If we do tag Jennings there would be no guarantee that he is traded and we could be stuck with is price tag for the year and hinder our ability to sign other guys. However, I think that if we did tag him a trade could be a viable option. We did tag and trade Williams some years back.

I believe Welker's number is $9.5 million, so on the cautious side $10 million is a good number. Two reasons that I cannot agree that a team would be willing to trade for Jennings if he was tagged. First, the contract he signs with us would be one year, but in all likelihood before we completed a trade he would have a new contract worked out with whatever team trades for him. I agree not many people would just trade for a guy that they do not know if he will resign after the year is over, but that would not be the case here. Second, I cannot agree that Jennings is not a number one receiver anymore. He did miss significant time this year. However, the last few games (Both Minnesota games and San Francisco) it looked like he was back to himself as our top guy. Jennings skill set and talent is still at top end level and warrants being a number one receiver.

Draft wise:
I like Lacy and think he could complement the backfield nicely. I would like to see a defensive lineman higher, but the board may not fall that way and think that if Worthy and Daniels take that next step we could be better.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if we should stick with Starks. That poor kid can't stay healthy. Harris did okay Saturday night actually. He averaged 4.8 against that SF defense. Why we abandoned the run after half time I have no clue. If Benson's foot heals I heard say he'd welcome him back. But we do need a big back that can move the pile. I'll be surprised if Saturday doesn't retire. If we lose Greg Jennings we'll have to get another WR. It would be great to get a big strapping youngster like Julio Jones.

We need a stud D lineman that demands double teams. And we need more speed at ILB. Jones isn't a bad backup but I won't shed a tear if Walden is gone. A hard hitting safety will do wonders for this defense too. Didn't Sean Richardson have back surgery?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Rhodes more as a CB than a S, but we don't really have a use for another CB. I saw a couple people said he is a possible FS convert so I put him here to give us some new faces as a 1st rounder.

palmy50 wrote:
Sadly, I'm not real sure I see a first round safety for the Packers.
But this is the biggest hole we need to fill Sad

gizmo2012 wrote:
He can sign a contract after he is traded. It's not like the idea of tagging and trading is insane and never happens in the NFL.

gizmo2012 wrote:
would any of the Green Bay running backs have made the SF 49ers roster this year? Any of them?
Nope. LaMike didn't even play on gameday until the second half of the year because they were so deep there.

gizmo2012 wrote:
Sorry, but the only 2 legitimate NFL caliber quality starters right now are Josh Sitton and Brian Bulaga.
Holy overreaction, Batman. Our offensive line wasn't bad this year after Saturday was moved out..and that was with two backup bookends.

Pugger wrote:
I don't know if we should stick with Starks. That poor kid can't stay healthy. Harris did okay Saturday night actually. He averaged 4.8 against that SF defense. Why we abandoned the run after half time I have no clue. If Benson's foot heals I heard say he'd welcome him back. But we do need a big back that can move the pile. I'll be surprised if Saturday doesn't retire. If we lose Greg Jennings we'll have to get another WR. It would be great to get a big strapping youngster like Julio Jones.

We need a stud D lineman that demands double teams. And we need more speed at ILB. Jones isn't a bad backup but I won't shed a tear if Walden is gone. A hard hitting safety will do wonders for this defense too. Didn't Sean Richardson have back surgery?
If we get another RB on board I'm not sure Starks makes the roster. He gets the nod over Saine though and I don't think we would come out with 3 RBs and no FB. (Didn't we have like 2 RBs on the roster once when everyone was hurt and Kuhn was running?) Benson was less impressive than Grant from what I saw Confused Saturday made it clear when he corrected the story of "asking to be benched" that he wanted to keep playing football and he thinks he can do it for a couple more years. He was offered some sort of long term front office job for the Colts to retire as a Colt last year and turned it down. Dude isn't going out unless 32 teams tell him they don't want him. Not sure if I agree we need a WR earlier than I slotted us to get one. Nelson-Jones-Cobb-Boykin-Ross is far from a need and when you throw Finley into the mix it's even less. I agree with you on the DL. We need more there. I think speed comes at ILB through Bishop. Yeah, Richardson had back surgery Sad just hoping for the best, I guess
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the way our med staff is I doubt we clear Armstead.
Not feeling Rhodes either, I think people have gotten tired of my stance on Safety

gizmo2012 wrote:

Now back to your comments Justo - right or wrong = would any of the Green Bay running backs have made the SF 49ers roster this year? Any of them? I think not and that means, to me, that the Packers have a glaring need at RB. Team management continues to put too much pressure on Aaron Rodgers and that shows up these last couple of years in the playoffs. I also think this is the year TT must go after an OL in free agency if a quality guy is out there. Sorry, but the only 2 legitimate NFL caliber quality starters right now are Josh Sitton and Brian Bulaga. Defensive line I assume with 1 year udner their belt Jerel Worthy and Mike Daniels and Mike Neal will get better, but the team lacks a stud DL and don't tell me its BJ Raji. Pickett is a nose tackle playing De and Wilson is a rotational guy at best. That unit has improved but is still missing that star. LB's are mess but getting healthy may help that, safety is so so with Woodson hurting more than helping, and CB is in pretty good shape. The Packers have plenty of possession Wr's so a speed guy is a need and if Finley is gone which most of us anticipate then TE is a major need.

Round 1 - I think TT goes with a skilled position because good players will be there, either RB or TE. The top OL (I don't see Barret Jones slipping to the Packers) will likely be long gone but there might be a DL that will slip and be very tempting to TT.
Would any of them start over Gore? No. Would any of them make the team? If not it's only because of fit. You, sir, are entirely too enamored with the unrealistic pinnacle that is SF. Our OL is fine, and unless we let EDS walk we don't go high for any OL. If Neal, Worthy, and Daniels are so great, why don't they start? There IS a reason. I tend to think we need a possession guy with speed and a little YAC ability, then again, doesn't everybody? I REALLY don't see us taking a RB in the first, the value isn't there, especially with this year's prospects.
persiandud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't take a RB in the first? Giovani Bernard?

What about Eddie Lacy in the second? (For the record, I like Lacy more than most of the backs in this draft class)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: