Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Weeden: Pre Snap reads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Weeden: Pre Snap reads Reply with quote

This is what I've notice is Weeden's biggest problem.

His Pre Snap read.

In the WCO, its all about timing. The Qb, should diagnose the defense, then in 3 or 5 step drops, make the decision and throw the ball. Almost predetermined.

If you looks at the image below. Weeden has 1 WR left, 2 TE's bunch right and one WR right (benjamin, who motioned from left to right). Single back.

The defense didn't really shift at all, zone coverage. 2 deep safties, 3 LB's. On the right side of the field, Weeden basically has a MLB, OLB, and a CB to defend the bunched formation on the right, and a OLB, CB to defend the WR on the left.

Here we see Weeden's thoughts before the snap. Slant Left while the bunch formation goes every which way with Benjamin in the flats.

Weeden almost forces the ball to the left WR who has a CB all over his back.

Notice the middle of the screen where it looks like Maualuga doesn't know what the hell he is doing. and the other OLB taken out of the play along with one of our TEs.

Finally, Notice Benjamin(top of screen) already has his head around looking for the ball (a good sign from the young player reacting to the formation and the defensive alignment). He has one guy to defend him with about 6 yard between him in the open field.

This pass should have gone to Benjamin.

Not only does the pass to Benji a easier pass to complete, he's not being contested at all, and he's the fastest guy on the team that was in position before the snap to be in the open field.

My point? If i've noticed on thing that Weeden needs to slow down at and practice, its this. Not only for the pass, but when the defense shows blitz or coverage changes. I notice this just watching, I know the coaches have too as well.

This is not to start a Weeden sucks thread, just a little something I put together to show you all. Just a small sample of what we have at QB. Maybe we can watch this more closely and see how he progresses.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points/images, but let us not forget, this is a rookie in his first few starts.

I'm sure he heard this exact thing in film review from Chilly and Shurmur.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Great points/images, but let us not forget, this is a rookie in his first few starts.

I'm sure he heard this exact thing in film review from Chilly and Shurmur.

For sure. I'm not suggesting he won't improve. I'm just trying to point out that I think this is the reason for his struggles thus far. I saw this alot in the PHI game as well.
candyman93

Location: The Man, The Myth, The Legend El Ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little something to add. He looked like he did a good job going through progressions in the 2nd half yesterday.

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read a thread title.
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhhhh, one of the best posts ever on this forum, I love it

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I learned on Madden last year if I determined man or zone, I could make an audible to a play to exploit it, or find what receiver is on a route currently that can beat it

In the above picture, it looks like Cover 3 as the safety comes down into the box, as a QB when you see this, you know that short to intermediate outs beat this nonstop. As you see in the below picture, Benjamin in fact is on a short out and wide open (because there is no one to occupy that territory because the CB has deep responsiblity on his third of the field

I believe it's little things like this that make QB's great. The ability to recognize a particular coverage and knowing what routes will get in the soft spot of that coverage. Typically teams will send an OLB out into the flat area to kind of help on the short stuff, but as you see in this particular concept, they left it wide open and instead dropped a DT into coverage. Not only that, but that deep CB (#22) has to make a decision because the guy inside of Benjamin looks like he might be threatening that right seam (where there is no coverage if the CB doesn't go. If he goes to Benjamin, he's going to have a blocker down field (in the slot guy threatening the seam) and there is big play potential on such a very small pass

Again, excellent post and I hope to see plenty more of these

Last edited by TeHDruiD on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add to this with something I seen last week, there are opportunities out there in the passing game, and I believe as Weeden continues to develop and progress, he'll start to torch defenses

In this picture (I found on twitter last week), I'm not positive what coverage they're in (pass went deep right to Marecic which isn't a very good idea as is), but I know it didn't go to the wide open receiver (Watson). To add to that, I remember on Sunday on one of his incompletions early in the game, they showed a replay of another busted coverage that was missed where Gordon was wide open by himself and Weeden didn't see him. This offense is creating big opportunities:

pnies20

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to mention that Weeden threw a pinpoint pass to Little for a 7 yard gain that play.

MINGO ATE YO BABY!
candyman93

Location: The Man, The Myth, The Legend El Ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
I want to add to this with something I seen last week, there are opportunities out there in the passing game, and I believe as Weeden continues to develop and progress, he'll start to torch defenses

In this picture (I found on twitter last week), I'm not positive what coverage they're in (pass went deep right to Marecic which isn't a very good idea as is), but I know it didn't go to the wide open receiver (Watson). To add to that, I remember on Sunday on one of his incompletions early in the game, they showed a replay of another busted coverage that was missed where Gordon was wide open by himself and Weeden didn't see him. This offense is creating big opportunities:

Frickin told you Buno that Gordon was open on this play Laughing

I'm 99% sure this is the same play I was thinking about yesterday

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read a thread title.
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
You forgot to mention that Weeden threw a pinpoint pass to Little for a 7 yard gain that play.

Yea he did. I'm just pointing out there was a better option that was obvious pre snap. Cool
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
Ahhhhhhhhh, one of the best posts ever on this forum, I love it

Again, excellent post and I hope to see plenty more of these

Thanks. I might do some of these. Its just something thats been standing out to me that nobody else has really mentioned.
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
TeHDruiD wrote:

dude they are playing eagles in the picture...the play we were discussing yesterday was vs Cincy lol

nice try tho Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This IS a good thread, and I think a great illustration of what all QB's must learn to do - plant, set, scan, throw... in 2.5 seconds or less lol

I believe Weeden will improve here as the weeks progress, and as he does his comfort level will increase and his vision will open up. In some ways I liken it to flying (I fly a Gulfstream, all that fancy digital "glass" to play with) and was an instructor in those big moving sims for years prior to going "back on the line" as a Captain and I'm here to tell you, the tunnel vision one gets when learning something new & complicated cannot be understated. I sure went though it - I liken my piston-engine "steam gauges" days to college level play, and the latest & greatest digital glass cockpits to the pros. Making that transition took time, and as confidence & experience increase, you suddenly begin to see all the things in front of you - kind of amazing how it works but its so true.

I have no doubt the QB's and their field vision work exactly the same way, and based on Weed's improvement from his 1st outing, I think he'll be just fine, especially when you think of the gun he has to get the ball where he wants it when he sees it Smile
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will get there he is a smart dude and is learning. The game is allready sarting to slow down for him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
He will get there he is a smart dude and is learning. The game is allready sarting to slow down for him.

I definitely have to second this sentiment... I love the breakdown though because it gives a layman such as myself (someone who has never played football save the annual hungover turkeybowl) something to look for the following week to mark Weeden's progression and improvement. Definitely hoping you keep it up throughout the season Bulldog!
ensman13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
TeHDruiD wrote:

dude they are playing eagles in the picture...the play we were discussing yesterday was vs Cincy lol

nice try tho Wink

bunOWNED Very Happy

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
The Declaration of Independence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: