Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Contracts expiring in 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordon Bombay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get blasted for even suggesting this but how much do you think we could fetch in a trade with Jared Allen? He's not getting any younger and it's starting to look like Everson Griffen could really be a solid replacement.

Just a thought since we're talking about resigning him - didn't think it needed its own thread.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Bombay wrote:
I'll probably get blasted for even suggesting this but how much do you think we could fetch in a trade with Jared Allen? He's not getting any younger and it's starting to look like Everson Griffen could really be a solid replacement.

Just a thought since we're talking about resigning him - didn't think it needed its own thread.

I would rather extend Allen and Griffen and let Robison walk, personally.

Allen might get the team a 2nd round pick at most, however, I think Allen can still be a valuable pass rusher for 4-5 years and Griffen can take over at LE in a year when Robison's deal is up.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Gordon Bombay wrote:

Allen might get the team a 2nd round pick at most, however, I think Allen can still be a valuable pass rusher for 4-5 years and Griffen can take over at LE in a year when Robison's deal is up.

If Richard Seymour can get a 1st I don't see why Allen couldn't either. Probably not more than that though.

I agree though. Extend Allen, and let Robison walk and get a comp pick back.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Gordon Bombay wrote:

If Richard Seymour can get a 1st I don't see why Allen couldn't either. Probably not more than that though.

That is flawed logic though. Al Davis is no longer alive, and he was one of the few owners that disregarded valuable draft picks for aging players. Allen wont get a first, MN would be lucky to get a 2nd at this point considering his $12M+ cap hit and the fact that the team would have to resign Allen as his deal is up in 2014.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Bombay wrote:
I'll probably get blasted for even suggesting this but how much do you think we could fetch in a trade with Jared Allen?

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Gordon Bombay wrote:

I like this idea.

Assuming Robison would sign with a better defensive team, I could see him getting around 8-10 sacks, with a nice contract, being the starting LE.

With those 3 components of the deal, do you think we'd get back a 3rd round comp pick?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comp. picks are awards entirely on the contract that a free agent signs with another team and has nothing to do with how that free agent performs on that other team. I cant imagine anyone paying Robison much money, if he were to hit the free agent market.

And if I recall, arent older players ineligible for comp pick compensation. I know Robison and Allen will both still be in there early 30s in 2014.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Comp. picks are awards entirely on the contract that a free agent signs with another team and has nothing to do with how that free agent performs on that other team. I cant imagine anyone paying Robison much money, if he were to hit the free agent market.

And if I recall, arent older players ineligible for comp pick compensation. I know Robison and Allen will both still be in there early 30s in 2014.

Half true, the formula does include how the player does at it involves any post season awards the player might win.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_With_8M_under_cap_Vikings_talk_deal_with_Phil_Loadholt101112

Quote:

The Vikings have opened talks about a multiyear contract extension with the agent for right tackle Phil Loadholt, the most established among 10 players on the 53-man roster who could become unrestricted free agents in March.

"They're talking and I'll just leave it at that," Loadholt said this week. "I kind of just let them take care of that whole situation. I don't want really want to get too much into it. Just try to play my hardest and let everything else take care of itself."

The Vikings have always been proactive about re-signing players with proven track records to second contracts before their rookie deals expire, and they have room to maneuver, with $8.546 million in space under their adjusted 2012 cap as of Thursday.

Just like with Sullivan last year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a player is a valuable piece to the teams future, the front office does a good job getting those players locked up long before free agency. Which is why Ray Edwards and Sidney Rice never got deals, and we saw Sullivan, Robison and Greenway get long term deals.

Geting Loadholt taken care of during the year would be big. During the season, I hope they can get one more taken care of out of Kevin Williams, Jerome Simpson, or one of the LBs and I would be pretty content.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I believe line continuity is more important than trying to upgrade the positions. Everyone on the line currently is serviceable at least and they seem to work well together. Kalil and Fusco will likely only get better for the foreseeable future.

Building depth behind them is the more crucial offensive line issue at the moment IMO.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
At this point I believe line continuity is more important than trying to upgrade the positions. Everyone on the line currently is serviceable at least and they seem to work well together. Kalil and Fusco will likely only get better for the foreseeable future.

Building depth behind them is the more crucial offensive line issue at the moment IMO.

I think Sullivan has been getting better every year and given how most Centers dont emerge until there late 20s, he ha a decent future going forward too.

I do agree, it is all about continuity so it will be key to lock up Loadholt and I think that is evident by the team beginning contract negotiations already. They clearly dont want to lose Loadholt.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

x10

Especially in relation to Charlie Johnson. He might be regarded as the 'weak link', but I don't see that. I see a very solid starting guard at the ideal age (29 in 2013), a guy who's been in a superbowl. Steady, dependable, a guy who doesn't wow you, but a solid piece to the puzzle.

When it come to the O-line, cohesion is everything. This current line seems to gel well. If we can lock up Loadholt we'll have the contours of our O-line set for years to come. Another depth/developmental tackle would nice, but I wouldn't tinker too much with the starting 5. Continuity is key.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
He might be regarded as the 'weak link', but I don't see that. Steady, dependable, a guy who doesn't wow you, but a solid piece to the puzzle.

Sounds kinda like David Dixon used to be for us
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

x10

Especially in relation to Charlie Johnson. He might be regarded as the 'weak link', but I don't see that. I see a very solid starting guard at the ideal age (29 in 2013), a guy who's been in a superbowl. Steady, dependable, a guy who doesn't wow you, but a solid piece to the puzzle.

When it come to the O-line, cohesion is everything. This current line seems to gel well. If we can lock up Loadholt we'll have the contours of our O-line set for years to come. Another depth/developmental tackle would nice, but I wouldn't tinker too much with the starting 5. Continuity is key.

I would prefer to get an upgrade at LG in the draft, if possible, pushing Charlie Johnson to the bench as a reserve LT, LG, RG and RT. As you said, Johnson is solid and steady but I believe if you can get an upgrade and a better player, that is something that would be ideal for the line. If they do find a new starting LG, talk about a young offensive line.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: