Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Contracts expiring in 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Henry Melton would be someone MN could pry off the the hands of the Bears in 2013.

Brian Urlacher is a free agent. Jay Cutler only has one more year left on his deal. Forte got a big chunk of change. Peppers is due $10+ million. Tim Jennings is having a breakout year, and could want a new deal to reflect that.

The Bears have an interesting offseason ahead. My guess is the Bears are going to do what they can to keep Melton, even if it means franchise tagging him. Though Melton would be a huge addition for this team, id rather pay big money for him than Kevin Williams at this point.
Gordon Bombay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it's been mentioned or is all too likely but Wes Welker is set to be a free agent next year..

I know he's not exactly a downfield threat but our short passing game would be incredible with him and Harvin.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to multiple websites that I've looked at, the Detroit Lions are right up against the salary cap limit, which could make resigning players difficult.

If Louis Delmas is allowed to test free agency, I would love to bring him in and put him next to Harrison Smith. His recent injury might keep his salary number down a bit, but this guy is a player and one of the more underrated safeties in the league.

Delmas would add a young, 25, and premier player to an area of weakness, and allow us to focus draft picks on more pressing needs.

Just for note;

Gosder Cherilus, Louis Delmas, Chris Houston, Stefan Logan, and Corey Williams are free agents for the Lions. And I don't believe that they have the cap room to apply a franchise tag.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...

Last edited by LostRoadStone on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Bombay wrote:
Don't think it's been mentioned or is all too likely but Wes Welker is set to be a free agent next year..

I know he's not exactly a downfield threat but our short passing game would be incredible with him and Harvin.

Hell no.

Something tells me Welker will be half the player he is outside of NE. He is in the perfect situation there. Besides, how would he get on the field? Harvin is the better playmaker, and neither is a good outside recievers. You'd have to be running 4 wide sets just to get him on the field.

Ok, let me rephrase that, I'll take him if he doesn't make much and on a 1-year deal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
According to multiple websites that I've looked at, the Detroit Lions are right up against the salary cap limit, which could make resigning players difficult.

If Louis Delmas is allowed to test free agency, I would love to bring him in and put him next to Harrison Smith. His recent injury might keep his salary number down a bit, but this guy is a player and one of the more underrated safeties in the league.

Delmas would add a young, 25, and premier player to an area of weakness, and allow us to focus draft picks on more pressing needs.

Just for note;

Gosder Cherilus, Louis Delmas, Chris Houston, Stefan Logan, and Corey Williams are free agents for the Lions. And I don't believe that they have the cap room to apply a franchise tag.

I loved Delmas coming out and considered him in my recent mock. Delmas isnt a flashly player, hasnt had an int in awhile, but he is physical and is rarely out of position.

I like Sammie Lee Hill a lot as well. He probably wont be back as the third DT, if a decent offer is extended. He is huge at 6-3 330 and seemed to have good combine numbrs from what I remember. While Hill isnt much of a pass rusher, he could be a solid rotational DT and would probably get more opportunities here than in Detroit long-term.

I would consider both player as solid additions.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Gordon Bombay wrote:

Hell no.

Something tells me Welker will be half the player he is outside of NE. He is in the perfect situation there. Besides, how would he get on the field? Harvin is the better playmaker, and neither is a good outside recievers. You'd have to be running 4 wide sets just to get him on the field.

Ok, let me rephrase that, I'll take him if he doesn't make much and on a 1-year deal.

I agree, Welker adds little to this offense.
Gordon Bombay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Gordon Bombay wrote:

Hell no.

I don't think it's an amazing signing by any means but I think he would be great for moving the chains and I think you could see some good things in 3 WR sets. Especially, if Simpson progresses as a deep threat.

Then again, maybe that's what they're hoping to see out of Jarius Wright.
Gordon Bombay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say, I'm talking like a 3/4 mill a year contract here. Not anywhere close to the franchise tag salary he's getting now.

Edit: 3 to 4 million. Not 750,000
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
LostRoadStone wrote:

Just for note;

I loved Delmas coming out and considered him in my recent mock. Delmas isnt a flashly player, hasnt had an int in awhile, but he is physical and is rarely out of position.

Had an INT this week vs Philly in his first game back from injury.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People talk about needing to replace Johnson at LG, and I can't disagree. However, might the answer to the position be on our roster?

Geoff Schwartz, 26, saw his first action of the season Sunday in two series, and first action since 2010.

Quote:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/174294521.html

Frazier said Schwartz held up pretty well, and that more reps could be in his future.

"It moved fast," said Schwartz, a Panthers seventh-round pick in 2007 out of Oregon. "I mean, I looked it up. I had missed the last two preseasons, and the past season. It had been 29, 30 games I'd missed without being on the field at all."

If Schwartz proves to be capable, I'd be okay with Schwartz and Fusco being the two guards, with Johnson backing them up.

Anyone watch him closely on Sunday? He's a pending free agent, which is why I put it in this thread.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:

Something tells me Welker will be half the player he is outside of NE. He is in the perfect situation there.

Why do people keep coming up with that line? The guy killed the Patriots when he was on the Dolphins. You know why the Patriots gave up a 2nd for him? Because he was that good.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Bombay wrote:
Just want to say, I'm talking like a 3/4 mill a year contract here. Not anywhere close to the franchise tag salary he's getting now.

Edit: 3 to 4 million. Not 750,000

This is the problem I with Wes.

Harvin & AP generally play close to the LOS.
Defenses already know this.
If now both Harvin + Welker + AP are playing close to the LOS, defenses can offord to just play very tight to the LOS, which willl reduce the effectiveness of all.

Only way it could be successful is once again getting another Long distance threat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

Something tells me Welker will be half the player he is outside of NE. He is in the perfect situation there.

Why do people keep coming up with that line? The guy killed the Patriots when he was on the Dolphins. You know why the Patriots gave up a 2nd for him? Because he was that good.

Because it's true. Playing with Tom Brady as your QB, and guys like Randy Moss or Gronkowski to help carry the load makes a huge difference.

In his first year with the Patriots he had more production than the 4 years before that. The guy can obviously play, and I'm sure he would be a starting slot reciever for most other teams as well, but let's not pretend he's automatically a 1,000 yard reciever outside New England.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
People talk about needing to replace Johnson at LG, and I can't disagree. However, might the answer to the position be on our roster?

Geoff Schwartz, 26, saw his first action of the season Sunday in two series, and first action since 2010.

Quote:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/174294521.html

Frazier said Schwartz held up pretty well, and that more reps could be in his future.

"It moved fast," said Schwartz, a Panthers seventh-round pick in 2007 out of Oregon. "I mean, I looked it up. I had missed the last two preseasons, and the past season. It had been 29, 30 games I'd missed without being on the field at all."

If Schwartz proves to be capable, I'd be okay with Schwartz and Fusco being the two guards, with Johnson backing them up.

Anyone watch him closely on Sunday? He's a pending free agent, which is why I put it in this thread.

Schwartz was subbed in for Fusco against the Redskins. Both have mostly played on the right side.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
thestonedkoala wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

Because it's true. Playing with Tom Brady as your QB, and guys like Randy Moss or Gronkowski to help carry the load makes a huge difference.

In his first year with the Patriots he had more production than the 4 years before that. The guy can obviously play, and I'm sure he would be a starting slot reciever for most other teams as well, but let's not pretend he's automatically a 1,000 yard reciever outside New England.

Wes Welker will be 32 years old next year. What would be the point of signing a 32-yr old slot receiver?

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: