Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots preparing to trade Wes Welker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sciz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
justo wrote:
Green Bay.
This. Our offense is struggling, it needs a spark. JerMichael Finley and Tom Crabtree for Wes Welker!!!!!!

Two tight ends for one receiver? Belichick would like it!

Last edited by Sciz on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope no one is stupid enough to pay something major...

"You will never walk again... but you will fly"
“You forget. My father had four sons.”
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
justo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
justo wrote:
Green Bay.
This. Our offense is struggling, it needs a spark. JerMichael Finley and Tom Crabtree for Wes Welker!!!!!!

Two tight ends for one receivers? Belichick would like it!

Writing a letter to Tempson right now
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Sciz wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
justo wrote:
Green Bay.

Two tight ends for one receivers? Belichick would like it!

Writing a letter to Tempson right now
Save your ink, I'm texting him right now, were gunna meet at Applebee's at 8:30 to talk it over.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
LA Niner Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
LA Niner Fan wrote:
Maybe Carolina? With the Saints struggling, maybe they see an opportunity to make the playoffs. Welker could be a nice reliable target, especially with Smith a bit banged up.

Seattle could possibly make a play as they don't really have any great receivers and see themselves as playoff contenders. Lions or Chargers could be possibilities as well due to need and the fact that they're good passing attacks.

Buffalo or KC make sense due to need, but one team will probably not want to give up the draft pick since they'll be picking high and the other is in the Pats division

News to me. Either that or someone really has no clue how AJ Smith thinks. He's just sunk fair chunks of money into Meachem and Eddie Royal (effectively the Welker of this offense) and Vincent Brown is eligible to return from the IR in Week 9 (3 weeks presumably after the latest Welker could be traded). Just because Meachem isn't lighting up the stat sheet right out the gate - meanwhile Malcom Floyd is - doesn't mean AJ's going to panic-buy... not to mention we don't have the cap space to give him near the contract he wants (if we were going to pay a receiver the money he wants, AJ would have just kept Vincent Jackson).

Furthermore, AJ is not a guy who admits to mistakes very easily. People are kind of quick to forget that Welker was a PS guy of ours before he was signed to the Phins. Paying a premium to bring a guy back that we originally had on the roster is REAAAAAALLY not his style.

Yeah I think Floyd, Meachem and Brown are very good WRs but none of them are guys who flourish in the slot. Welker could be a great possession WR to help move the chains and really help the intermediate passing game that struggled a lot last year. Gates helps with those intermediate passes but has had his share of injuries recently.

But I trust your assessment of the chargers over mine
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rams don't have the cap space to take on Welker's contract if they traded for him. They would have to cut players or something to make room.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA Niner Fan wrote:
The LBC wrote:
LA Niner Fan wrote:
Maybe Carolina? With the Saints struggling, maybe they see an opportunity to make the playoffs. Welker could be a nice reliable target, especially with Smith a bit banged up.

Seattle could possibly make a play as they don't really have any great receivers and see themselves as playoff contenders. Lions or Chargers could be possibilities as well due to need and the fact that they're good passing attacks.

Buffalo or KC make sense due to need, but one team will probably not want to give up the draft pick since they'll be picking high and the other is in the Pats division

News to me. Either that or someone really has no clue how AJ Smith thinks. He's just sunk fair chunks of money into Meachem and Eddie Royal (effectively the Welker of this offense) and Vincent Brown is eligible to return from the IR in Week 9 (3 weeks presumably after the latest Welker could be traded). Just because Meachem isn't lighting up the stat sheet right out the gate - meanwhile Malcom Floyd is - doesn't mean AJ's going to panic-buy... not to mention we don't have the cap space to give him near the contract he wants (if we were going to pay a receiver the money he wants, AJ would have just kept Vincent Jackson).

Furthermore, AJ is not a guy who admits to mistakes very easily. People are kind of quick to forget that Welker was a PS guy of ours before he was signed to the Phins. Paying a premium to bring a guy back that we originally had on the roster is REAAAAAALLY not his style.

Yeah I think Floyd, Meachem and Brown are very good WRs but none of them are guys who flourish in the slot. Welker could be a great possession WR to help move the chains and really help the intermediate passing game that struggled a lot last year. Gates helps with those intermediate passes but has had his share of injuries recently.

But I trust your assessment of the chargers over mine

And better to trust me on that, because Norv's system doesn't implement a lot of the short routes typical of slot receivers and that Welker has had a lot of his success on. Slant routes are foreign animals to Norv - literally I about had a heart attack when I saw one implemented in our game against Tennessee last week, they're that rare. He doesn't implement a lot of timing-based offense which is really where Welker's precision yields you the biggest benefit.

I would literally go as far as to say that Welker is worth a full round more to team's using a West Coast variant offense than those using Coryell or more vertical-oriented offenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't mind if the Eagles tried to get Welker... for a 5th... Not sure we could even absorb his contract right now. Really I think almost any team would benefit in some way from Welker, but I don't see any team giving up more than a 4th honestly. Aging, one dimensional receiver just isn't worth a lot, especially when you have the feeling that the Pats know something we don't.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Wouldn't mind if the Eagles tried to get Welker... for a 5th... Not sure we could even absorb his contract right now. Really I think almost any team would benefit in some way from Welker, but I don't see any team giving up more than a 4th honestly. Aging, one dimensional receiver just isn't worth a lot, especially when you have the feeling that the Pats know something we don't.

He's 31, to be fair, he could be productive for several more seasons.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edelman is on Belichick's fantasy team. Nothing to see here.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
drew39k

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:

Obviously hes been more productive, but I look at him and I see Wayne Chrebet. I think that the type of skill set he has doesnt lend itself well to extended playing time. He takes alot of big hits and relies alot on that initial quick shiftiness. I wouldnt be surprised to see his play diminish faster than your prototypical WR, especially if he loses Brady.
Technically yes... BUT by laws of playoff football, The Andrew Lucks lost to the Quarterbackbowl 47 winning Joe Flaccos. Whereas the Russel Wilsons lost to the Matt Ryans, who didnt even beat the Colin Kaepernicks.
Totore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
BACK TO MIAMI!

Hell no!

Screw that pos.
Cicero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welker to San Fransisco seems like the best overall fit IMHO.

Wondering where I can apply for the DCRA?
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drew39k wrote:
x0x wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:

Obviously hes been more productive, but I look at him and I see Wayne Chrebet. I think that the type of skill set he has doesnt lend itself well to extended playing time. He takes alot of big hits and relies alot on that initial quick shiftiness. I wouldnt be surprised to see his play diminish faster than your prototypical WR, especially if he loses Brady.

He actually does not take a lot of big hits. Welker's one major injury came trying to avoid a hit. His skills actually lend themselves to age better than pure speed recievers whose skills spiral downward in their early 30s.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
Was this something that was brewing? I'm stunned how all of the sudden there is tension between the Pats and Welker. Not sure what happened but this could be a distraction for the Pats if this lingers.

I really don't see a team giving up a whole lot for Welker.

It is amazing how this kind of stuff appears. This summer Greg Jennings makes an innocuous remark to a reporter about telling is agent not to contact him during the season about a new contract until the Packers offer the number he wants. From this McGinn in the Milwaukee J-S writes an article about how it is time to trade him soon so we get something for him and a whole slew of threads about trading him pop up on Packer forums all over the Internet. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: