Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots preparing to trade Wes Welker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Sciz wrote:
milanb wrote:
On the other hand, the Richard Seymour trade has boomeranged on the Patriots in a big way.

How? They traded Seymour's 2009 season for Nate Solder. Seymour became the highest paid per-year defensive player in the NFL. The Pats needed their franchise tag for Wilfork. Seymour would not have been the difference between the 2009 team getting any further in the playoffs than they did.

You dont think having Seymour would help your defense? Do you think it would have improved your chances in a very tight superbowl last year?
Sure, but you have to make a cost-benefit analysis. Trading Seymour netted the Pats Nate Solder who's shaping up to be a solid OT, and it freed up cap room to lock up Vince Wilfork, who is just as good a player as Seymour and one from a harder-to-find archetype.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Sciz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
You dont think having Seymour would help your defense? Do you think it would have improved your chances in a very tight superbowl last year?

Seymour would have been gone after 2009. The Pats tagged Wilfork, so Seymour would've been free to go wherever he wanted. The Raiders ended up giving him $15M a year, just to give you an idea of his post-2009 value.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Seymour would have been gone after 2009. The Pats tagged Wilfork, so Seymour would've been free to go wherever he wanted. The Raiders ended up giving him $15M a year, just to give you an idea of his post-2009 value.

Gotcha. I figured you guys would have resigned him. Maybe you were tight up against the cap?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Gotcha. I figured you guys would have resigned him. Maybe you were tight up against the cap?

Well that was the uncapped year, but the Pats still wouldn't have overpaid for him like the Raiders apparently were willing to.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if the Patriots could get a 5th round pick for him.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
I could see a team realistically giving up a second and a future late round pick.

The Rams have a LOT of picks over the next two drafts, a bunch of cap room IIRC...and while Welker is the same type of WR as Danny Amendola, we can all somewhat agree that Welker is a bit better, and beyond Amendola and Brian Quick, the Rams are pretty thin at the spot...

Should Jeff Fisher get in on this?

I doubt it. Could happen but can't see us giving anything like a 2nd up.

TommyC376 wrote:
They would probably get a 3rd and a 5th. He is a product of their system. If he went to Denver or even Detroit I can see him being successful, but he would have to go to a team with a good QB that has a solid passing game.

I don't know about that. His 120 to 130 catch seasons were but the guy can still play. Look at what Danny Amendola is doing in STL, he's a similar type player. Welker will produce if you utilize him correctly in just about any system.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Interested to see what team falls into the Patriots' trap again...

Seriously.

You're getting a 30+ year old one-dimensional WR, yet some team will give up 2 1st's for him probably haha

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
If they trade him, it won't be to a contending team within the AFC.
The Browns, Chiefs, Colts and Bengals are the only AFC teams I could see him going to.

If the Chiefs are still mired in the mundane come Week 6, I could see the possibility of Pioli doing something we've rarely seen done (though he has the pieces at his disposal and, I'll be honest, at what point does he start getting the blame for the state of the team - good and young - yes, "underachieving" - though their collective ceiling might not have been as high as some anticipated, but really it's the veterans Pioli invested in that are the weights dragging them down this season... Cassel, Lilja, depth at boundary corner beyond Flowers... Yay run on parenthetical!):

- Bring in Welker (as presumably the tandem of Baldwin and Breaston can man the boundaries with Welker working out of the slot - not like Brian Daboll would know how to use him anyway).
- Ship out Bowe (who probably could fetch close to a 1st, if not a pair of 2nd's or a 2nd and some premium change)

Welker is, suffice to say, a much more new-QB-friendly asset than Bowe is. The only issue I see is that Pioli's got an early pick sunk into McCluster who Daboll is actually managing to use. So I have trouble seeing them scrap Dex to give up (likely) Top 10-15 in the order draft selections and a high-priced contract for Welker - particularly when their QB is still Matt Cassel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
DawgX wrote:
I wonder what teams would be interested and what they would give up. It wouldn't shock me if a contending team gave up a first-round pick, although I don't think Welker is worth that due to his age.

Could a team like San Francisco or Houston be interested in him? I think Welker would be a good fit on either of those teams.

A contending team, unless it's one that's playing over their heads and thinks "hey, we actually have a shot" isn't going to give up a 1st, particularly Houston or SF. SF as well just spent a 1st on a WR and has a very deep WR corps. Houston has built a team that can be perennial contenders, they aren't going to spend a 1st on Welker either. If a team ponies up a 1st, it's going to be some middle of the pack or worse team.

Maybe the Rams since they have the ammo? I don't think it'd be a good idea, but it wouldn't hurt them as much as it would other teams, would help Bradford, and may allow them to sneak into a WC spot or even win the division with how their defense is playing. They may be a darkhorse, though they do have Amendola who fills a similar role.

I think a contending team is much more likely to give up a first than a non-contending team. Maybe a contending team would think Welker is the player they need to help get them to the Super Bowl. If Welker goes to a non-contender, he might not be very good by the time that team is ready to contend.

Adopt-a-Brown: Alex Mack

1BackInBlackFan

Was this something that was brewing? I'm stunned how all of the sudden there is tension between the Pats and Welker. Not sure what happened but this could be a distraction for the Pats if this lingers.

I really don't see a team giving up a whole lot for Welker.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
candyman93

Tzimisce wrote:
The Browns, Chiefs, Colts and Bengals are the only AFC teams I could see him going to.

Why would Cleveland trade for him?

Are people oblivious to our youth movement we've done under Holmgren and Heckertt? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
DawgX wrote:
I wonder what teams would be interested and what they would give up. It wouldn't shock me if a contending team gave up a first-round pick, although I don't think Welker is worth that due to his age.

Could a team like San Francisco or Houston be interested in him? I think Welker would be a good fit on either of those teams.

A contending team, unless it's one that's playing over their heads and thinks "hey, we actually have a shot" isn't going to give up a 1st, particularly Houston or SF. SF as well just spent a 1st on a WR and has a very deep WR corps. Houston has built a team that can be perennial contenders, they aren't going to spend a 1st on Welker either. If a team ponies up a 1st, it's going to be some middle of the pack or worse team.

Maybe the Rams since they have the ammo? I don't think it'd be a good idea, but it wouldn't hurt them as much as it would other teams, would help Bradford, and may allow them to sneak into a WC spot or even win the division with how their defense is playing. They may be a darkhorse, though they do have Amendola who fills a similar role.

I think a contending team is much more likely to give up a first than a non-contending team. Maybe a contending team would think Welker is the player they need to help get them to the Super Bowl. If Welker goes to a non-contender, he might not be very good by the time that team is ready to contend.

No one is going to give up a 1st for a 31 year old WR on a 1 year franchise tag unless they think he is one of the best 3-5 WR's in football and intend on giving him a HUGE multi year deal. Wes Welker is a nice WR, but he isn't on that tier.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DawgX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

I don't think any of those teams make much sense. Especially Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Adopt-a-Brown: Alex Mack

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
DawgX wrote:

Teams that have built themselves to be perennial contenders wouldn't touch that deal with a 10 foot pole. As I alluded to, I can only see a team that comes out of nowhere to contend (and thus is likely overachieving) making the deal to help their situation.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
carnageehw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welker is only a product of the system in the sense that he and Brady have great chemistry.

Almost half of Welkers yards are YAC. That's not being a product of the system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: