Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots preparing to trade Wes Welker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
If they trade him, it won't be to a contending team within the AFC.
The Browns, Chiefs, Colts and Bengals are the only AFC teams I could see him going to.

The Bengals would actually be a great fit, didnt think of them. He would suit Dalton's skills very well and be a great underneath compliment to Green.

Nope, cross em off. They already have 7 talented WR's on the roster (except for freaking Tate). They're committed to Hawkins in the slot, and have guys like Mohammed Sanu and Marvin Jones waiting to get their shot.

Plus, Mike Brown owns the team. 'Nuff said.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't shock me if Jerry pulled a Jerry and dumped a pick for him

Sig courtesy of mack.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if he got a 2nd. Unless you are willing to sign him long term to the cash he is looking for he's a rental.

Wes Welker is awesome but probably not as awesome without Tom Brady.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
DrawABlank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only team I see this making sense for is the Bengals.

- They are very young at WR (24 yr old Brandon Tate is the veteran!)
- They have an extra 2nd round pick from the Raiders (Palmer trade)
- They are not a direct threat to NE this year but could still benefit (in terms of developing Dalton) from a vet presence.
- Other than safety they don't have huge needs in the draft next year so could afford to lose a pick.
- They have the cap space to absorb his contract

The problem is that if only 1 team is bidding, the Patriots aren't going to get the return they are looking for.

Foster-A-Falcon: Matt Bryant
2013 Stats: 24/27 FG (88.9%), 39/39 XP (100%)
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
If they trade him, it won't be to a contending team within the AFC.
The Browns, Chiefs, Colts and Bengals are the only AFC teams I could see him going to.

The Bengals would actually be a great fit, didnt think of them. He would suit Dalton's skills very well and be a great underneath compliment to Green.

Nope, cross em off. They already have 7 talented WR's on the roster (except for freaking Tate). They're committed to Hawkins in the slot, and have guys like Mohammed Sanu and Marvin Jones waiting to get their shot.

Plus, Mike Brown owns the team. 'Nuff said.
Tate is their only WR with more than 2 years of NFL experience. They have every reason to bring in a veteran.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
I <3 Faulk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

Should Jeff Fisher get in on this?

I really hope not. Welker is great at what he does, but that's not what the Rams need. Amendola is off to a great start. He isn't gonna go for 150 yards every week or anything, but I think the amount of extra production Welker would bring over him isn't worth close to a first or second. To other teams, sure. I just don't see how the Rams would come out looking good in this situation. Plus, Amendola is also in the last year of him deal.

Nobody can stretch a page into oblivion like I can
I <3 Faulk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

Should Jeff Fisher get in on this?

I really hope not. Welker is great at what he does, but that's not what the Rams need. Amendola is off to a great start. He isn't gonna go for 150 yards every week or anything, but I think the amount of extra production Welker would bring over him isn't worth close to a first or second. To other teams, sure. I just don't see how the Rams would come out looking good in this situation. Plus, Amendola is also in the last year of him deal.

Nobody can stretch a page into oblivion like I can
kenney

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Houston's cap situation prevents it. They're looking at needing to re-sign:

- LB Connor Barwin
- FS Glover Quin
- FB James Casey
- RG Antoine Caldwell
- OT Rashad Butler
- CB Brice McCain

They may also be looking to extend Brian Cushing, as well.
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Tate is their only WR with more than 2 years of NFL experience. They have every reason to bring in a veteran.

They won't want to cut one of their young guys. And Mikey is a cheapskate. He won't absorb any of Welker's contract.

I mean, it's a nice thought. I won't argue that Welker wouldn't be useful, but it just won't happen. Mikey's once bitten, twice shy on veteran WR's.

I'd be willing to put an obscene amount of real life money on Welker not going to the Bengals.

theJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add:

AJ Green - obviously won't cut
Andrew Hawkins - current slot guy, was good last year, has been great this year.
Armon Binns - former practice squad guy, now #2. Has shown good route running and catching ability. Bengals won't cut him for a one year rental.
Marvin Jones - showed enough skill in preseason that they won't cut him for a one year rental.
Mohammed Sanu - has shown nothing. Only cuttable player, but 3rd round pick. Bengals never give up that soon on high draft picks.
Brandon Tate - Sucks. I'd love to see him go, but coaches love him. His roster spot is more secure than any other guy on this list except for AJ.
Ryan Whalen - showed some slot ability last year. Great ST'er. If he was cut, he'd surely be picked up that week.

There's the breakdown. I just can't see the team giving up a high draft pick, having to pay the guy, and then cut one of these young promising players.

Plus, management has had trouble previously bringing in vet WR's with their young QB's. I think they like the clubhouse dynamics they have now, and would prefer that Dalton remain the unquestioned leader of the clubhouse and not have another TO case (i know Welker isn't that guy, but the focus would shift from Dalton/AJ to Welker).

Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically weve come to the conclusion that no fans here want their team to trade for Welker?

Odd. Thats not normally how these things work.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I could see him getting moved for like a 2nd and a 4th at this point. Which team would be willing to trade for him is the big question. I don't think the Patriots would trade him in the division, which eliminates the Bills & Dolphins, both of which would want a guy like Welker.

Here's a list of teams I compiled in a hurry who may make a move for him. The bolded ones make most sense cause they are serious contenders that have a deep threat but need that need a #2/slot go-to guy:
Chiefs
Raiders
Ravens
Bengals
Browns
Texans
Vikings
Chargers
Titans

Not a chance with the Ravens. Smith/Boldin/Jones are most clearly our top 3. We aren't going to bring in Welker to go over Boldin in the slot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
So, basically weve come to the conclusion that no fans here want their team to trade for Welker?

Odd. Thats not normally how these things work.

It's hard to gauge the market on these things.

On the one hand, the Vikings got burned badly on the Moss trade two years ago.

On the other hand, the Richard Seymour trade has boomeranged on the Patriots in a big way.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Sciz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
On the other hand, the Richard Seymour trade has boomeranged on the Patriots in a big way.

How? They traded Seymour's 2009 season for Nate Solder. Seymour became the highest paid per-year defensive player in the NFL. The Pats needed their franchise tag for Wilfork. Seymour would not have been the difference between the 2009 team getting any further in the playoffs than they did.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
milanb wrote:

How? They traded Seymour's 2009 season for Nate Solder. Seymour became the highest paid per-year defensive player in the NFL. The Pats needed their franchise tag for Wilfork. Seymour would not have been the difference between the 2009 team getting any further in the playoffs than they did.

You dont think having Seymour would help your defense? Do you think it would have improved your chances in a very tight superbowl last year?

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: