Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots preparing to trade Wes Welker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see the Rams or Broncos jumping on this, they both could use a slot receiver.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is if they do trade him how does that affect their chances at a Superbowl. Welker, product of the system or not, is very good in this system and appears to be Brady's favorite target when he's in the game.

It's nice getting a pick for a guy you plan on losing but if it costs them a Superbowl is it really worth it?

Props to Mack on the sig
lilant2398

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
I could see a team realistically giving up a second and a future late round pick.

The Rams have a LOT of picks over the next two drafts, a bunch of cap room IIRC...and while Welker is the same type of WR as Danny Amendola, we can all somewhat agree that Welker is a bit better, and beyond Amendola and Brian Quick, the Rams are pretty thin at the spot...

Should Jeff Fisher get in on this?

no... i pray he doesnt... welker wouldnt do anything for this team amendola doesnt already do.. and behind quick? no he hasn't contributed anything and we have pettis comming back this week

Last edited by lilant2398 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
The real question is if they do trade him how does that affect their chances at a Superbowl. Welker, product of the system or not, is very good in this system and appears to be Brady's favorite target when he's in the game.

It's nice getting a pick for a guy you plan on losing but if it costs them a Superbowl is it really worth it?

More TEs might be the answer? If Hernandez wasnt hurt, he could probably play a lot of Welker's role as a slot WR. Get Kellen Winslow or Visanthe Shiancoe in there as well to replace Hernandez, i doubt they would miss a beat.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude was good during his time... but he's on the downside of his career, and I feel will drop off fairly quickly. If some team pays for him, they'll regret it.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see him getting moved for like a 2nd and a 4th at this point. Which team would be willing to trade for him is the big question. I don't think the Patriots would trade him in the division, which eliminates the Bills & Dolphins, both of which would want a guy like Welker.

Here's a list of teams I compiled in a hurry who may make a move for him. The bolded ones make most sense cause they are serious contenders that have a deep threat but need that need a #2/slot go-to guy:
Chiefs
Raiders
Ravens
Bengals
Browns
Texans
Vikings
Chargers
Titans

Nacho Simulation Football League

Last edited by TheKillerNacho on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:01 am; edited 3 times in total
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch Scott Pioli trade Dwayne Bowe straight up for Wes Welker.

Shocked

That would allow Pioli to get his Patriot fix considering it has been awhile since he signed Steve Maneri.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I could see him getting moved for like a 2nd and a 4th at this point. Which team would be willing to trade for him is the big question. I don't think the Patriots would trade him in the division, which eliminates the Bills & Dolphins, both of which would want a guy like Welker.

Here's a list of teams I compiled in a hurry who may make a move for him. The bolded ones make most sense cause they are serious contenders that have a deep threat but need that need a #2/slot go-to guy:
Chiefs
Raiders
Ravens
Bengals
Browns
Texans
Vikings
Chargers
Titans

You can cross the Vikings off that list, they have enough underneath possession receivers and Harvin is already about to exceed Welker as the best slot WR in football. Further, Welker is 31 and wants a new contract. No way the Vikes trade a valuable draft picks for a 31+ yr old WR who adds nothing to an offense in desperation of a deep threat. A WR like Dwayne Bowe is far more likely than Wes Welker, if MN makes a trade for a WR.
dante9876

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:

Chiefs
Raiders
Ravens
Bengals
Browns
Texans
Vikings
Chargers
Titans

Cross Raiders of the list unless Welker can play corner. Reggie isnt giving away draft picks, when his first draft was so limited. Plus we have some way more serious issues other than a slot receiver.
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0 chance we sign him. We have no need for a WR.

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-1 Tackle
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they trade him, it won't be to a contending team within the AFC.
The Browns, Chiefs, Colts and Bengals are the only AFC teams I could see him going to.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
treat88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like he'd be an awfully tough guy to move.

Anyone who acquires him is on the hook for the remainder of his franchise tag and likely would still have to work out a long term deal as well as give up the picks and players involved.

Even if the Pats do actually want to move him, I think there is a near 0 percent chance that they are able to...Al Davis isn't in Oakland anymore...no one left to take advantage of.

Strange way to handle things from NE perspective, if this is accurate. 2 games in and they are looking to give up a franchise tagged player? Should have just let him walk and not pay the dough. I'm not at all sure the uncertainty of acquiring a late round pick is worth the risk of being on the hook to the tune of $9+ mil if no one bites.

Either something bad is brewing behind the scenes or this is just baseless rumor/speculation.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
If they trade him, it won't be to a contending team within the AFC.
The Browns, Chiefs, Colts and Bengals are the only AFC teams I could see him going to.

The Bengals would actually be a great fit, didnt think of them. He would suit Dalton's skills very well and be a great underneath compliment to Green.

And I dont see the need for the Chiefs. They do have Breaston already as a slot receiver and two big guys on the outside. Unless they plan on moving Bowe and making Baldwin the #1 and Breaston the #2.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he’s a system player every team would have a player doing what he does, but very few do. He doesn’t get open, he doesn’t get the ball.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:

Chiefs
Raiders
Ravens
Bengals
Browns
Texans
Vikings
Chargers
Titans

Woah woah woah... why the hell are the Titans on here? Laughing

Kenny Britt, Nate Washington, Kendall Wright are firmly entrenched as the top 3 (And Locker has a great connection with Wright)... there's absolutely no reason we'd pick up Welker even if he was free, much less trade for him.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: