Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Losing these types of games is a good thing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pats#1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Losing these types of games is a good thing Reply with quote

Okay, well I obviously would have liked to see the Pats win Sunday night but I've been thinking about it and losing these tough games early in the season really could be a blessing in disguise.

I think we can all agree that the Pats have lost their killer instinct, at least to a certain extent. When it comes time to put the game away it just seems as if the Offense can't get it done and the defense shuts down as well.

Hopefully losing these games will bring the old pats attitude back. The one where they played with a chip on their shoulder, like they had something to prove even though they didn't, like they simply knew they were the best around and wanted everyone else to know it undoubtedly.

I personally think having a very mediocre beginning of the season, with some more tough games ahead and some more losses, is going to end up being really good for this team come playoff time. Hopefully they'll have that spark back that made them known as a team that always came through at the end, always found a way to win.

At least that's what I'm praying for Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing is never a good thing.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Pats#1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:

So you think nothing good has ever come from losing?

especially when its in the beginning of the season like this...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could buy the cardinals. Losing against the ravens is just justification. We needed and should have won that one.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
I could buy the cardinals. Losing against the ravens is just justification. We needed and should have won that one.

The absolute worst thing that could come from that loss is no HFA...and we all know from this past game that we can definitely beat them in their own house.

Idk...I just kinda like the idea of the pats not walking through the season as if it was practice and then caught off guard by the competitiveness of the opposing team and how hard fought these games can get in the playoffs.

I'm personally hoping that Brady leads a couple of 4th quarter winning drives and the defense can hold off a couple as well...I think until they prove to themselves that they can do it, they will keep hearing the banter of the media on how they are no longer clutch, and sort of believing it whether they want to or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually am a believer that losses, especially tough losses, make the team stronger. But when the refs beat you instead of the other team, it's just annoying and frustrating. I think the only thing we learned from this game that we can apply moving forward is that Danny Woodhead draws suck.

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
I usually am a believer that losses, especially tough losses, make the team stronger. But when the refs beat you instead of the other team, it's just annoying and frustrating. I think the only thing we learned from this game that we can apply moving forward is that Danny Woodhead draws suck.
This.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Pats#1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:

I definitely agree the cards game is a much better example of what im trying to say....but even with ravens game I think the pats are gonna play pissed off the next few weeks and especially the next time they meet, and I honestly I haven't seen the pats play pissed off in a very long time, something I think they did very well...they were always able to channel that anger in a good way, which is what I think will happen, or at least im hoping.

Im just a glass half full type of guy Smile
Pats#1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:

I definitely agree the cards game is a much better example of what im trying to say....but even with ravens game I think the pats are gonna play pissed off the next few weeks and especially the next time they meet, and I honestly I haven't seen the pats play pissed off in a very long time, something I think they did very well...they were always able to channel that anger in a good way, which is what I think will happen, or at least im hoping.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

So you think nothing good has ever come from losing?

especially when its in the beginning of the season like this...

Moral victories are for losing teams. Are there teaching points to be made? Yes. Can a game last week be used to focus the team, or bring them together? Its happened. But the team's sole goals are winning and getting it done. Neither happened Sunday night.

Losing to the Ravens isn't a huge deal. The team has plenty of opportunity ahead of them to win games or championships. But no loss is ever a "good" thing. And I think BB would agree with me.

24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:

Funny you mention "playing pissed off."

In my estimation, Julian Edelman had the best game of his career before halftime. The statline doesn't show it, but he 1) adjusted to and caught an underthrown back-shoulder throw while being pushed, 2) caught a TD, 3) converted a clutch 1st down over the middle, 4) drew what would have been a 15-yard personal foul on Cary Williams. Best part? He plays like a maniac. I love it.

subherbanite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time will tell I guess. The end of that game felt/feels waaaaaaayyy too familiar now. It's been mentioned in other threads about how neither our offense or defense will step up and make a play to close out a game. All I do in these situations is look at the clock and pray that someone hits fast forward, because I still have little faith that our defense will stop a good offense.

And our offense just seems to implode late in these games. We drop easy balls, completely whiff on blocks or can't make a play downfield. It's frustrating to know that you've got one of the greatest QBs to ever play and all of a sudden they can't put the nail in the coffin.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:

Funny you mention "playing pissed off."

In my estimation, Julian Edelman had the best game of his career before halftime. The statline doesn't show it, but he 1) adjusted to and caught an underthrown back-shoulder throw while being pushed, 2) caught a TD, 3) converted a clutch 1st down over the middle, 4) drew what would have been a 15-yard personal foul on Cary Williams. Best part? He plays like a maniac. I love it.

That's exactly what I mean. I love the edelman plays. He is always getting into it and playing like he has something to prove. I personally think that's the best way to play football. Hopefully the entire team, because of their early season let downs, starts playing like they need to show everyone that they are a force to be reckoned with.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for the pats to be 3-0, but im not too upset with the situation because it could end up helping the team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:

This. You need at least one or two "Cleveland" games each year. Although I do think there's more to take away from the Ravens game than Woodhead's ineptitude Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the replacement refs are still in play, I think all of our wins / losses will be solely on how the officiating goes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: