Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stanford University offering 16 free online courses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stanford University offering 16 free online courses Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
I found this on one of those "random facts" type twitter accounts, googled it and it was true.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/september/online-courses-fall-090712.html

Quote:
Sixteen courses and two new platforms for interactive learning will highlight Stanford's free online offerings this fall, with more to follow during winter and spring quarters.

From cryptography to science writing, technology entrepreneurship, finance and a crash course in creativity, the courses are open to anyone with a computer, anywhere.

As the number of Stanford online courses has grown, so too has the range of fields, which now include computer science, mathematics, linguistics, science writing, sociology and education.

Stanford is unique among universities in that it is offering its online courses on more than one platform. Each has its own distinct features and capabilities, among them video lectures, discussion forums, peer assessment, problem sets, quizzes and team projects.

You don't get a degree but instead of a "statement of accomplishment" with the instructor signing off that you completed/passed the course.

Will it mean much on your resume? Maybe, maybe not. But i think it looks like a great opportunity regardless. At the very least, i can say i took and passed a course offered by Stanford University. I'll definitely be looking into taking courses here soon (probably when i'm done my own undergrad). Its an opportunity i probably would never get otherwise. I am into finance and finance is one of the 16 courses being offered for free so i will definitely look into that.

Is anyone here interested in taking a free Stanford course? Any other prestigious schools offering anything similar?

Yes--- i have the link on my other computer but i think MIT, Harvard, Stanford all submit videos of their classes(some of them, mainly intro ones) to this website where you can watch them. You just cant ask questions.

I'd like to try my hand at cryptography.

They do it for iTunes U. I've had a few classes from Stanford on my computer for quite a while now.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. Thanks for this. I'm signed up for Intro to Programming through U of Toronto and A Crash Course on Creativity from Stanford. I felt like my brain has been turning to mush lately. Hopefully this helps. Laughing

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
snkhd09

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really should start studying for my CPA but some of these courses are interesting.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Online classes are really the wave of the future, it truly takes a smart and dedicated person to teach and master it oneself.

I took an online class, every test was administered on campus, closed book. you had to basically have the same knowledge as if you were going to class as an in person student but didnt have the resources an in person student would. Of course teachers do have office hours, but some students struggle to learn anything by themselves.

I found the online class structure was a bit more challenging than in person class structure since there was a lot more freedom and less direction.

Online classes, don't know if it will overtake regular classes soon.

I do expect Ebooks to completely take over textbooks soon. More and more of my classes are starting to offer e-books. Its cheaper and you can print a few pages and take them, instead of an entire textbook (or more) in your bag.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Mohr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
online classes aren't going to phase out regular schooling for a looong time.

there might be more teleconferencing in classrooms, but overall no.

there will be too much backlash, and ultimately the level of education would never be the same.

agreed. Professors and employers both know very well that cheating is rampant in online classes.

[quote="Silver&Black88"]
IS SHE STUPID WITH THE LIGHTS OFF?!?[/quote]
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question here, do you get transferable college credits for these courses? It would seem if they are real courses you'd be eligible for real credits and given that it's Stanford University it would seem likely that the credits would be transferable if you do get them...

2014 AAL: DE Larry Webster III

Stats: N/A

2014 AAL: DE George Johnson

Tackles: 10, TFL: 2, Sacks: 1.5
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
and it's starting

pretty soon public unis (i realize most of these schools are private, just stating the trend) will be free just like public high schools and pretty soon masters degrees and phds will be essentially what bachelor's degrees used to be.

mark it down homies

Nope. No way. There is no answer that you have for increase in faculty, buildings, housing, infrastructure, athletics, etc. etc. Not to mention where would the money come from to pay for everyone? Your statement is made from wishful ignorance, really.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
Brodie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else taking the creativity course? Just signed up seems like an awesome class

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really thinking about taking the finance course.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to take the technology entrepreneurship course... Unfortunately I just dont have 8 extra hours a week to commit to it working and going to school full time already.
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
rAmFan39

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too expensive, cant afford it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna take a finance class or two through Coursera as a refresher before I go get my MS in Finance.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can these go a resume?
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
latinoaustino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
can these go a resume?

You get actual transferable course credit if that's what you're asking.
Intangibles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stanford University offering 16 free online courses Reply with quote

Throttle Jockey wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

Is anyone here interested in taking a free Stanford course? Any other prestigious schools offering anything similar?

We've offered Open Courseware through MIT for awhile. You do not get a smiley face sticker for completing the course, but you have access to the same lectures, class notes, assignments, ect that I did. Well, mine are a little dated. I think they have been updating them fairly regularly now.

Yale also offers Open Course Ware lectures in Science, Finance Math etc... But MIT is a great one for Open Course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: