Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Week 3: Patriots (1-1) at Ravens (1-1) [SNF]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win?
Ravens
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Patriots
38%
 38%  [ 10 ]
Sportsmanship Triumphs
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

rabbisson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nesn.com/2012/09/bill-belichicks-defensive-strategy-proves-costly-in-patriots-week-two-loss-to-ravens.html

Good piece by Doug, nice to see that he's acclimating quickly to his new gig at NESN. Most interesting part of it to me:

Quote:
The Patriots also couldn't generate much of a pass rush. The Ravens' offensive line did a nice job against the Patriots, but there were some missed holding calls that were evident upon a second watch. New England also blitzed just five times in the game. Jerod Mayo was the fifth man bringing pressure on four of those blitzes, while Brandon Spikes had a delay blitz once. The Ravens were 3/4 on plays that Mayo blitzed, throwing for 48 yards. Spikes' only blitz resulted in an incomplete pass.

Mayo is a great player, but bringing pressure on the quarterback isn't his specialty. Rookie Dont'a Hightower was actually used as a third-down pass rusher at times in college at Alabama, and would be a better option for when the Patriots decide to rush a linebacker. Spikes has also proved adept at pass rushing through his pro career, and would also likely be a better option to bring pressure up the middle.

Sounds like Mayo might not be the blitzer that I, at least, thought he was.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
http://www.nesn.com/2012/09/bill-belichicks-defensive-strategy-proves-costly-in-patriots-week-two-loss-to-ravens.html

Good piece by Doug, nice to see that he's acclimating quickly to his new gig at NESN. Most interesting part of it to me:

Quote:
The Patriots also couldn't generate much of a pass rush. The Ravens' offensive line did a nice job against the Patriots, but there were some missed holding calls that were evident upon a second watch. New England also blitzed just five times in the game. Jerod Mayo was the fifth man bringing pressure on four of those blitzes, while Brandon Spikes had a delay blitz once. The Ravens were 3/4 on plays that Mayo blitzed, throwing for 48 yards. Spikes' only blitz resulted in an incomplete pass.

Mayo is a great player, but bringing pressure on the quarterback isn't his specialty. Rookie Dont'a Hightower was actually used as a third-down pass rusher at times in college at Alabama, and would be a better option for when the Patriots decide to rush a linebacker. Spikes has also proved adept at pass rushing through his pro career, and would also likely be a better option to bring pressure up the middle.

Sounds like Mayo might not be the blitzer that I, at least, thought he was.

The most interesting part to me is when he wrote there were "some" missed holding calls. I guess some equates to about three hundred penalty yards worth. Michael Oher sucks and cannot block at the NFL level, but he's allowed to cheat game after game.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eju62GXyf8

^Just saw this video^

How is that a FG? The ball is clearly not inside the plane of the inside edges of the uprights.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I'm just still hung up on the officiating.

What do you tell a guy like McCourty when he's getting called for holding without ever laying a hand on the guy he's covering? He'd had a very good game up to that point [I stand by the assertion that the missed tackle on Pitta's TD was almost completely on Gregory] and after that just completely loses it. Can you blame him? When there's no consistency in what gets you flagged and what doesn't, how can you, as a DB, know how to play in any given situation?
What do you tell Julian Edelman who gets flagged for OPI on a play where, if anything, he was the victim of DPI and still makes a great catch, yet later in the game Torrey Smith catches a TD after putting all his weight into shoving McCourty away?
So much of football is preparation and so much of preparation is incumbent on knowing what you'll get flagged for and what you won't. If you can't reliably know that going in [or at the very least quickly adapt to it at the start of the game], how are you supposed to prepare for the game? You'll be flying by the seat of your pants just as much as these idiot scabs are.
What happened last night was a disgrace to the sport of football.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:

^Just saw this video^

How is that a FG? The ball is clearly not inside the plane of the inside edges of the uprights.

Interesting. If the goal posts were taller, that ball would hit the pole or move wide right. (kicker's angle)
HootersPatrol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's apparent the Refs wanted the ravens to win the game, Every time the Ravens were about to lose some bs flag would appear keeping the ravens in the game. And then the last second missed field goal lol...It's obvious it was a missed field goal and they didn't even review it. Unbelievable. Hate to say it but during the pre game when they were talking about smiths brother and all I knew the patriots were going to loose. It was a built up story the whole day and would have a fairy tale ending.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HootersPatrol wrote:
it's apparent the Refs wanted the ravens to win the game
Hanlon's Razor applies here.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HootersPatrol wrote:
it's apparent the Refs wanted the ravens to win the game, Every time the Ravens were about to lose some bs flag would appear keeping the ravens in the game.

Stupid conspiracy theory nonsense

Quote:
And then the last second missed field goal lol...It's obvious it was a missed field goal and they didn't even review it. Unbelievable.

It's actually quite believable, considering it's not a reviewable play

Quote:
Hate to say it but during the pre game when they were talking about smiths brother and all I knew the patriots were going to loose. It was a built up story the whole day and would have a fairy tale ending.

Hate to say it, but this isn't pro wrestling or a movie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

^Just saw this video^

Interesting. If the goal posts were taller, that ball would hit the pole or move wide right. (kicker's angle)

Exactly.

Think about it in perspectives. G1 and G2 are uprights.

---------K

G1-----------G2

Now draw a line from the kicker to the inside edge of the left upright. For the kick to have been good, it has to have been inside of that line while it crossed the plane of the two goalposts. Similarly, if the ball is at no time inside that line during its trajectory, that it cannot have possibly passed between the uprights.

--------------K

-----G1------------G2

O

Now imagine you're an observer on the same line as the K and G1. You can tell if the ball is inside of that line or not, purely based on where you can see it - if its not visible it must be hidden by the upright and on a trajectory over it, which is no good.

To my eye, the observer in with the camera phone is actually inside the line between the kicker and the goal post, which makes it more likely for him to at some point see the ball on the inside edge of the upright. Yet the ball is never visible.

EDIT: fixed the spacing of the "diagrams." Obviously its over with, but it would be nice to see this be a reviewable play.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm just still hung up on the officiating.

What do you tell a guy like McCourty when he's getting called for holding without ever laying a hand on the guy he's covering? He'd had a very good game up to that point [I stand by the assertion that the missed tackle on Pitta's TD was almost completely on Gregory] and after that just completely loses it. Can you blame him? When there's no consistency in what gets you flagged and what doesn't, how can you, as a DB, know how to play in any given situation?
What do you tell Julian Edelman who gets flagged for OPI on a play where, if anything, he was the victim of DPI and still makes a great catch, yet later in the game Torrey Smith catches a TD after putting all his weight into shoving McCourty away?

What happened last night was a disgrace to the sport of football.

I'm over the game at this point. I'm over pretty much everything at this point, actually, the usually pleasurable diversion that Sunday represents serving as little more than fodder to turn my thoughts back to their usual course. I find myself, like I'm sure many others do (or will, soon enough), in an increasingly untenable position; a position from which I see no way to extricate myself, at least as it concerns the overall welfare of those around me. Football, for me, is a major release, a distraction that is sorely needed at times, if for no other reason than to act as a reprieve from the rigors of daily life, which seem more numerous and pervasive than ever. Now, this has been building for some time, but I can see that release slipping away too, ever so slowly. The money and politics that dominate the league now are eating it from within, and destroying the escapist value it once held. It is becoming a reflection of the culture at large, a swirling morass of shifting blame and ineffectual leadership, concealed behind an obfuscating wall of half-truths and outright lies. Football is, in the end, just a game, but when it does little more than serve as a reminder for all the malfeasance that shapes our existence, I find myself wanting to retreat from it, rapidly.

The replacement officials are just a symptom of larger illness, after all. That they are allowed to continue to disgrace themselves and the league is a function of the powers that be searching for a means to achieve an end, namely the distraction of the sleeping masses from the real issues facing the league. What better way to draw eyes away from concussion lawsuits, bounty scandals and continuing labor unrest than by manufacturing a controversy that cannot be escaped by the consumer? Not even the most disingenuous propagandist would deny the efficacy of such an approach. And when the time comes that "labor peace" is attained, likely for what the league's owners would deem a pittance if compelled to speak truth, they can bask in the unanimous praise that follows, sweeping any lingering grievances away with the heedless attention spans of the consuming public. This behavior, too, is but a symptom of a greater illness, an illness of greed and callous disregard for the welfare of those outside one's immediate sphere of influence, an illness which infests seemingly every tier of society and is becoming increasingly ubiquitous. My only regret in the face of this unrelenting tide of human declension, is that I am unable to wring the life out of the feckless masses, the indifferent horde that unwittingly conspire to drag down the principled among us, with my bare hands. My scorn and contempt for the sycophants and enablers of the world is truly limitless.

Or, for the TL;DR crowd, FYAD.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
HootersPatrol wrote:
it's apparent the Refs wanted the ravens to win the game
Hanlon's Razor applies here.

Mostly, unless you're willing to consider malice one step removed.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 24isthelaw
Alexx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An analysis of all penalties from the game was posted on reddit a few hours ago: http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/10f4qn/the_penalties_in_the_ne_baltimore_game_an/
samgurl775

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Oher got away with quite a bit of holding, as did Osemele.
Like when he tackled Ninkovich into the ground right in front of the referee just before Flacco got off that 30 yard dump and run to Rice to set up their last TD... I was screaming at the TV

I can't even talk about the officiating.
So was I. I was literally screaming "THAT'S A HOLD!" I hope we meet up with the Ravens again, I have no doubt we're the better team.

Even more painful with pictures.

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexx wrote:
An analysis of all penalties from the game was posted on reddit a few hours ago: http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/10f4qn/the_penalties_in_the_ne_baltimore_game_an/

The calls weren't even the worst part of that game. The non-calls were, especially the ridiculously obvious two on the last TD drive that put the Ravens down 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 58 of 59

Jump to: